Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

December 20th, 2013

"Piers Morgan Live, Rewind": Star Jones on Barbara Walters, the war on the infamous "Duck Dynasty" comments

Whether you fell asleep early, stayed out too late, or simply want to watch it again, we realize it's not always possible to get your entire "Piers Morgan Live" fix from television. As an answer to this, we offer the below labor of love – "Piers Morgan Live, Rewind" – dedicated and designed to getting you caught up and connected to the conversation.

• Jones: Walters "taught me the art of the second question"

On Thursday night Piers Morgan was joined by television icon Star Jones, who has had a mixed bag of career experience, including time spent practicing law, as well as nine season spent co-hosting "The View."

As the evening's conversation wrapped up, Star discussed the retirement of former fellow "The View" co-star, Barbara Walters, crediting much of her own success to the 84-year-old broadcast journalist.

“Professional women in broadcasting would not have achieved what we have without what Barbara did for all practical purposes. I'm not sure that any of us would have been able to take on some of the challenges that she took on when she first began in this business.”

Star also noted how grateful she was to learn various tricks of the trade from the veteran broadcast master:

“She taught me the art of the second question; the first question is easy as an interviewer ... I still think she's one of the best interviewers I've ever seen on television.”

But don’t think Star’s praise is a eulogy for her mentor’s career, as Thursday's guest was quick to suggest that we haven’t seen the last of Barbara Walters.

“I'm proud to know her, but I also have to tell you – I know B.W. I don't trust she's retiring. I don't believe it and I'll believe it when I see it.”

• Debating the "Duck Dynasty" Dialogue

As the release of controversial comments spouted during a GQ interview were released earlier in the week, the subsequent suspension of "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson has been the buzz of broadcast and social media.

On Thursday night, Piers Morgan continued the debate, including biblical scholar Dr. Michael Brown, as well as news commentators Marc Lamont Hill and Ben Ferguson, on the conversation.

While Robertson’s anti-gay comments have sparked the most scandal, Morgan weighed in on some of the "Duck Dynasty" dad’s other less conventional messages:

“What I find more reprehensible than that was what he said about African-Americans, and he said this," began the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "'I never heard one of them.' This is what he's talking about when he was in the cotton fields: ‘I never heard one of them, one black person say, I tell you what, those doggone white people. Not a word. Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say, were they happy? They were godly. They were happy. No one was singing the blues.’”

African American’s were “happy” pre-civil rights movement? The sentiment may not be conventional, but Hill commented that it isn't limited to the "Duck Dynasty" star:

“For me, this is someone ... who represents, quite honestly, a mindset that isn't exclusive to him," said the HuffPost Live host. "There are many people in America who believe this. But corporations have a right to say ‘we don't want to stand next to this type of person.’”

But inevitably, the conversation reverted back to Robertson’s notorious anti-gay remarks. As Brown observed, A&E and the public seem more offended by Robertson’s bashing of a homosexual lifestyle than by his racist remarks:

“What's really outrageous is that those comments are not the ones that got him booted off of A&E...The fact is that's not where the outcry was.”

Religion’s take on homosexuality quickly became the segments central talking point, eith interpretations varying from sympathetic to disgust:

"He never said gay people don't go to heaven," noted Ferguson. "People read these articles, they think, ‘Wow. All Christians think that gay people don't go to heaven', which is not true.’”

Whose take on the topic came out on top? Check out our video excerpt from the conversation above, and leave your comments below!

For the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

1. karenvalls

The definition of a bigot is someone who has no tolerance for another's beliefs. Clearly Phil Robertson stated his opinion on the question he was asked. Piers Morgan's lack of tolerance shows himself to be the bigot here.

December 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Piers is a Moron

Piers you truly are a Moron, if appears the first amendment only applies to LBGT community and anyone else that disagrees is a bigot? Piers you truly are a MORON, it's time you went back home, your worthless and show is y our intolerant show, where only your opinion matters

December 21, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. SpeakTruth

I watched Piers Morgan Live last night and wish I didn't see him act like the total bafoon that he is. Particularly when he was arguing with the doctor and cast him off simply because he didn't agree with him and basically told him that he had no idea what he was talking about, when in fact the doctor was bringing up completely logical and rational thoughts.

Then the final straw came. Piers Morgan actually posted a tweet saying "Just as the 2nd Amendment shouldn't protect assault rifle devotees, so the 1st Amendment shouldn't protect vile bigots. #PhilRobertson". WOW. Really? Guess this British @sshole doesn't understand the principles our great country was founded upon. He should shut his fat mouth.

December 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. rszp

This is a clear attack on Christians. Phil said he didn't see blacks abused with his own eyes.

December 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. rszp

What Star Jones and Piers Morgan are saying is" You can have your own beliefs as long as i agree with them. " Why don't you call out all the rappers that use the N word and try have the record companies pullout on them?

December 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dr. John Loum

Am reacting to Pierce show last evenning. As an African Christian, I feel greatly offended by Pierce crtique, insultive derrogatimg statement of the Bible, the Christian Holy Scripture. I ask, where is the sensitivity or the respect of others? Let it be known that Christianity does not only comprise the white people of America and I would even argue that Christianity started in Africa before it gets to Europe and so there are African's Christians, Arab Christians, Asian Christians, and so forth. Therefore, when people are insensitive of other religion, especially the Christian faith and are afraid of being politically correct when it comes to Islam and the Muslim holy scripture, they should remember the gloden rule "do onto others, as you want them to do to you."

So let it be known, that African Christians including the Arabs and other ethnic groups will from now on let their voices be heard and known, when people of the media become insultive and rude to Christians in particular. I will stand for the Christian faith no matter what, respectfully submitted. Rev. Dr. John Loum

December 20, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. J sc

Piers. You are indeed an idiot and a moron...
    You don't know what you are talking about.....CNN needs to fire you

December 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Daniel Keely

I am so sick of the so called "tolerant" that only tolerate those who agree with their liberal agenda. These "tolerant" folks openly call any Christian who quotes the bible, or doesn't talk the PC line all kinds of vile names, such as bigot, racist, hypocrite, redneck, hick, backward, narrow minded bible thumper, and the list goes on and on. Yet they get a pass, they don't get fired, and they aren't called out for labeling Christians like that?

December 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dixie mcclain

why dont you get out of this country, Phil Robertson has a right to believe the way he wants that is how this country was founded. i am also a christian and I am not to judge unless you say you are a christian then we are to judge the fruits of the spirit. I am praying for your soul. you need to ask God for His forgiveness.

December 22, 2013 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Andreas Tolk

Looking at Barabra's comment, she offended all people who truly believe in the biblical messiah.
    Phil's comments surely offended many in the gay-lesbian camp. But the reactions were very different.
    Fire both, you have tyranny!
    Fire one, you have hypocrisy!
    Fire none, you have democracy!
    It is time to get real again, people, on both sides of these arguments!

December 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. JOEL GOODMAN

MY FAITH IN MY DECISION TO NEVER WATCH THIS FOOL, AFTER ONE VIEWING SEVERAL MONTHS AGO, HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND REINFORCED ENORMOUSLY. WHO APPOINTED THIS REFUGEE, FROM WHEREVER, THE ARBITER OF MORALITY AND COMMENTARY IN THE USA? I SUGGEST MR MORGAN TAKE HIS TWO BIT PHONY ACCENT AND RETURN TO WHATEVER HOLE HE CRAWLED OF. I WOULD PREFER AN AMERICAN TO CRITICISE OUR COUNTRY IF IT NEEDS IT. THE FOREIGN "EXPERTS" ARE SO CONCERNED WITH US WHILE THEY RUN LIKE HELL AWAY FROM THEIR HOMELANDS. IF WHEREVER THE HELL YOU CAME FROM IS SO TERRIFIC THEN TAKE YOUR BLOODY BUTT BACK THERE ANDS SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL.

December 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. isobareng

Takes a bit of arrogance to move to another country and try to tell them how to think and live. But for free speech sake he can babble arrogantly if he wishes. Too bad he doesn't feel the same way about free speech for others who don't share his opinion.

December 23, 2013 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Meki Cox

I truly need to speak to Piers Morgan (Google the words "Kelsey Grammer Exposed" -- Piers Morgan is the only person powerful enough to assist me – and MAY BELIEVE everything that happened... I wrote the website Kelsey Grammer Exposed – because of what happened... and I absolutely NEED HELP... I think I'm in OVER my head.

http://www.kelsey-grammer-exposed.com -- please – get this to Piers if you can...

December 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. boweryguy

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson spoke freely. I agree that he is allowed to express himself and what he feels. That's why I am perplexed that they keep saying his freedom of speech has been violated.

He spoke, he “speeched” (!) again, so why are they saying that his free speech was denied? Or is that they want you to accept and agree with what he said? Then, if you don’t, then you are denying him freedom of speech. It does not work that way.

I have TOTAL intolerance for this man. Obviously he thinks differently than I do. Needless to say, he is less sophisticated than much of the world. I am intolerant of his thinking and feel sorry for him. However, he exercised free speech so what is this all about? I DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIS THINKING.

December 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. nrmorris

Go home, gay boy. Fix your country before you mess with mine.

December 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. William Dickey

I usually don't watch your show as I find that most of your opinions are not very well thought out and generally offensive to most Americans. If you don't like us having rights that are denied in your own fallen country and most others on Earth, why don't you leave?

December 24, 2013 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply