Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 6th, 2014

Jahi McMath's uncle: "I'm just still praying that one day I'll be able to see her smile again"

Returning to the live airwaves after a two week holiday hiatus, on Monday evening Piers Morgan welcomed the return of Omari Sealey, in the process revisiting a story he first delved into several weeks ago.

Following what was initially thought to be a routine tonsillectomy, Jahi McMath has been classified as brain-dead. On Sunday, the 13-year-old was transferred from the California hospital which sought to remove her from a ventilator, the latest turn in a series of events that her uncle classifies as nothing short of miraculous. Joining Morgan for a live, face to face interview, Sealey spoke emotionally about his niece:

"Jahi is a very sweet girl. She was very shy, and she smiled all the time. I can still see her smile. I'm just still praying that one day I'll be able to see her smile again," said Sealey, while holding back mounting tears. "She is everybody's favorite. She just had one of those personalities that when you meet her, you just kind of gravitated towards her."

As the segment was drawing to a close, the family's lawyer, Chris Dolan, took a moment to show his appreciation for the "Piers Morgan Live" host:

Morgan humbly appreciated the gesture:

"I'm glad that we've been helpful. I hope we can continue to be helpful."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with Sealey, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Judith

As a mom, my heart goes out to the family of jahi mc math.
    but we now go to doctors and not to church, to god when faced with such tragedy.
    this poor child should be permitted to go to her sad fate.
    And it is a sad example of how the limited medical resources we have are expended on situations that are emotionally driven instead of decided medically.

January 7, 2014 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Douglas

1 yr ago I went to get my tonsils out and adenoids I was only suppose to be in hospital total of 5 hr the day of my surgery but then run in to life Threatening situation witch was out of controlled bleeding witch they got it under control. But when I was coming to in the recovery room with all the other people that had surgery I was just sitting there then all the sudden I felt this real warm feeling of something pouring In to my belly then I was gasping for air cause I was drowning in my own blood then I felt my self go like I was passing on I had no last thought nothing went through my head I just left so I was on a breathing machine and went in to comma for 7 days I lost 50lb this is the first time that this has happen to anyone they said so there doing test on me to see what went wrong but ya I almost lost my life.

January 7, 2014 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andrea

Douglas, that sounds absolutely horrific – glad you pulled through. I wish Jahi's story had a happy ending too...

January 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ann

Glad you survived to. Bless you in your healing and recovery

January 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary Smith

Douglas, if you want people to actually read your post and feel your message, use punctuation. A period here, a comma there, certainly won't hurt, and you'll be taken seriously.

January 8, 2014 at 6:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • karen murphy

Honestly, Mary, I don't think this is a time and place to be correcting Douglas for his punctuation. He is a very brave man for writing his story and for sharing it with us here.

January 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • cielo62

Depending on your age, the surgery gets more dangerous the older you are. Jahi's surgery was NOT a routine tonsillectomy, like the family wants you to believe. She was in the ICU BEFORE any complications even started because the surgery was very complicated. There is some talk that the family itself might have precipitated the bleeding by giving her something to eat post-op that they were not supposed to do. At this stage of the stage of the game, malpractice will be impossible to determine. The family should get NOTHING from the hospital for a complication that was tragic but not committed by the hospital.

January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karen Murphy

God Bless you Douglas. Thank You for sharing your story with us here. You are a very brave man, and an inspiration to us all. May you continue to stay healthy and strong and may God watch over Jahi and her family during this difficult time.

January 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. hello

Should Jahi's heart stop, does the family wish to revive her?

January 7, 2014 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maxine's Daughter

oh excuse me i just have to inject a little levity here – does this whole debacle sound like a Patricia Cornwell plot?

January 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shehar39

No, they said if her heart stops, they know it is the end

January 8, 2014 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Irene Kim

Piers, I watched your segment tonight on the Jahi McMath tragedy and my heart does go out to the family. Brain death is a confusing topic even for many physicians, but brain death is death. Because the heart has the capability for automaticity does not mean the patient is alive and as pointed out by your guest ethicist, the medical and legal definition of brain death is that it is indeed, death. You did a disservice to the community by confusing the picture of the heart-beating, brain dead patient as anything but dead.

January 7, 2014 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

Thank you. You said clearly and simply and persuasively what I've been feeling all along. Without the media feeding this spectacle and giving it a credibility it doesn't deserve this family might have done the right thing long ago. Instead they perpetuate this fraud on the public, tie a good hospital up in knots and distress the other pediatric patients and their families that had the misfortune to need Children's over this last month. Shame on the media for presenting this as though the McMath family's disbelief in death was worthy of the credibility you imbued it with by devoting the kind of air time to it you did. The only controversy here was how her death happened; not whether it happened at all

January 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • kathy

This is a terribly researched story to call this a routine surgery. If it was routine they would not have a high risk surgeon or have scheduled her to recover in ICU. This was a high risk surgery due to the child's weight and health. The hospital cannot defend itself due to privacy laws and the media don't bother to research! How could Piers Morgan make such an I'll informed statement that parents have a right to determine when the child is unplugged! Is can't be that naive! I can't watch this show anymore given his lack of forethought? Plus, the attorney is a well known ambulance chaser and his story of how the parents came to him, contradicts his earlier statements. Stupid. Children's Hospital is a world class hospital in inner city Oakland

January 7, 2014 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • CR

One they take the hospital to court then the whole story will come out.

January 8, 2014 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rose

Doctors are not gods. Everyday what was believed to be true in medicine is proven wrong and re evaluated. Taking a person off life supports should be a families decision not a doctors or hospital corporations.

January 7, 2014 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Irene

When a patient is brain dead, it is a misnomer that we use the term "life support". In these cases, it is not life support, it is physiologic support because the patient is dead. There is no higher brain function and that is why physicians use the apnea test to evaluate for brain death. Before the advent of ventilators, there was no category for brain death because there was no way to keep these patients alive.

January 7, 2014 at 1:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Connie

Unfortunately this patient is dead. She is not on life support because she is not alive. Her body is being supported because her family can't accept the reality that she is dead. There is really no decision for the family to make. Medically speaking abd legally speaking she is deceased. Brain death criteria is very strict. There are multiple tests performed by two different physicians at two different times to ensure the results are accurate. And brain flow studies are definitive. If there's no flow to the brain, the brain (and therefore the patient) is dead.

January 7, 2014 at 5:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Another Guest

Not to be rude, but the body is decaying. The body that one carried the personality of Jahi is now a biohazard, yet her mother is treating it as if it were some type of memento. In the meantime, the body is decomposing every day and will eventually (if she hasn't already) pose a health hazard. This is why we bury our dead.

January 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

Then Rose? When a child of yours gets sick...you know, an actual living child who needs specialized advanced care, where do you propose to PUT them and who is going to care for them? We have nursing shortages off and on and some counties, today as we speak, have to go on "diversion" which means they turn ambulances away because their acute beds are full. Bet you didn't realize that. Now, what do you think would happen if we let every family decide for themselves and had no objective scientific standard. Think at least some of those people would NEVER accept that their child had died? Do we keep ALL those kids in suspended animation FOREVER if we could? If we did that, were would your sick child go when we ran out of resources?

January 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

Rose, with all due respect, you are part of the problem. Continuing to say "life support" is just not correct. Jahi is dead and NOT on life support. She was put on a ventilator to maintain her body so her family would have time to say goodbye. NOT, I repeat, NOT to support life. There is no life to support.

January 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Lorna

Patty, I so agree with you!

January 8, 2014 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. DMarie

Looking at your tweet, saying "she is in a coma" is such a disserve to everyone. This child is dead. She has been dead for 3 weeks. Brain death is not "in a coma". It is exactly what it implies. DEATH. While I feel for her mother, Omari Sealy is just looking for a huge payout and publicity. I have lost respect for you Piers. You are helping making this the circus it has turned into.

January 7, 2014 at 8:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary Smith

If your child died as a result of what you believed to be medical negligence, wouldn't YOU want to sue the hospital for all you could? Just because someone wants a huge payout for a fatal mistake on their child, doesn't mean they never loved their child (or niece) and that their tears are fake. If a hospital killed MY child, I'd be hellbent on suing them for every penny. This is what a parent who truly loves their dead child would do: Sue for all the hospital was worth. Yeah, you'd better believe I'd be out for money if some quack butchered my kid or the nurses refused to control the bleeding.

January 8, 2014 at 6:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Emily

Mary,
        Of course the family has the right to sue if negligence is proven. But the media and a segment of the public makes an automatic assumption that dead child=medical malpractice. Nothing could be further from the truth. As difficult as it is to accept, sometimes people die when everything was done that could have been done. And during this great fierce battle for Jahi's life that the family wants us to believe they're waging is NOT the time that dollar amounts are usually discussed. For Omari Sealy to start taking about "chump change" at this juncture is frankly obscene.

Additionally, if the family is so steadfast in their belief that CHO bungled this, why has the family misrepresented so many details AND denied CHO, despite their request for permission, to discuss the medical details of what transpired pre and post operatively? Just why do you think that would be?

January 8, 2014 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
      • DMarie

First of all, we have NO IDEA what actually happened. The hospital is bound by HIPAA so they can't, by law, say their side of what happened. All we are hearing is the family side of it. There so many stories coming out from other families that were in the unit at the same time as this family and they are telling stories of how they did not follow any of the post op procedures, which could have led to what happened to her. I live in the Bay Area, so we are hearing about this story daily. NO ONE out side of the family and the hospital know what happened. The hospital is barred from speaking on it, and the family is only telling what they want people to know and trashing the facility.

I have personal experience with Children's Hospital Oakland. This hospital saved my child's life. She was 3 months premature and they fought tooth and nail for her. There were times when we thought she wouldn't make it and they continued to fight for her and pulled her through. She spent the first 3 months of her life there and the nursing staff, the doctors, and the administration were nothing short of wonderful to us. I have seen first hand how this hospital treats its patient. That being said, of course not every experience was like mine. If there was hospital negligence, then yes, they have a right to sue, but none of us know what happened at the hospital. The fact the Omari Sealey is constantly spewing a bunch of bull you know what on the news like "I saw my niece smile when we left there" Really? If that were the case, wouldn't there be VERIFIABLE proof of that. Or "She responds to our voices and to music". Again, really? They claim to have video of that.........where is it? That is where I a starting to have a problem. The obvious bull to try to continue to garner public support for this fiasco. Then there are the contradicting stories that the lawyer and the family put out, at the same time. The day the child is moved, her grandmother was on the news here saying how good she looked, and she has a glow about her, and this is the best she has seen her look in quite some time. The second she is moved and the lawyer holds a press conference, he now claims her body is badly deteriorated.. Really? I thought grandma said, not 8 hours before, that she was looking the best she had in quite some time. This is the kind of stuff that makes me lose sympathy. It has gone beyond being about Jahi, and has very obviously become all about the money.

January 8, 2014 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Karen

Mary, I have to say you sound hideous. A truly loving parents does NOT sue for every last penny, no amount, repeat no amount of money could or would ever replace my children. To live a life of luxury on the back of my dead child is something I could never even consider doing. You as a person with your sue mentality is the reason healthcare in this country is so expensive.

January 8, 2014 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Lorna

I think that, when a person dies, the hospital should not put them on a ventilator, just let them die, because the ventilator gives the wrong impression to the family, as if the deceased is still alive.

January 8, 2014 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
      • Lorna

I cannot believe you just said " the nurse refused to control the bleeding"...wow! I know any nurse would do what she can to help the patient and I am not a nurse. I have had enough surgeries, in my lifetime and have NEVER had a bad experience with nurses not taking care of me.

January 8, 2014 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Vivien

January 7, 2014 at 10:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Roberts

Death happens when both the heart and the brain stops. It's confusing when people qualify death as being "brain" dead or cardiac death. There should be a universally accepted definition of "death" so that there is no ambiguity in the use of this term and not left to conjectures and whims when it comes to matters relating to life and death. As such "death" is a painful reality to loved ones, confusing them further by qualifying this terms makes it cruel.

January 7, 2014 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

There is a universal medical definition of death. You've seen it in this case. Her brain is is dead and beyond any hopes of ever functioning again based on all current ACCEPTED medical and scientific criteria. Would that it was different but perpetuating this delusion helps no one. This family is not the first family, sadly, to have lost a child and they won't be the last. Do we allow every family who has difficulty coming to term with the death, the "luxury" of keeping their children in some bizarre form of suspended animation? Do will fill up our available critical care beds? Do we turn living children away while we perpetuate this charade with the dead?

January 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Another Guest

There was never any ambiguity. The mother just refuses to accept the diagnosis. Independent doctors who are not affiliated with the hospital came to the same conclusion. The mother said that she welcomed more medical tests, but would not unhook the respirator because she "feels" that Jahi is still alive. In other words, she wanted a doctor to tell her what she warned to hear. She refuses to face the truth.

January 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Britt

I wish there was someone this family trusts, a clergy member, a family member or someone, who would sit them down and get it through to them that this girl is gone and has been dead for a month. Who knows if the family would have accepted their daughter's fate by now if lawyers and other people wanting to gain publicity hadn't come to the fore and started blowing smoke up this family's behind?

January 7, 2014 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JOE

They profess to put their faith in God and his will.Why are they not listening to him? He has spoken and Jahis time on earth is over.Prayers to God,for those who believe,are always answered and sometimes the answer is no.

January 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Konagirl

Her mother is a surgical nurse at Kaiser, you would think she would know better, but she has been out there also saying she is alive.

January 7, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Maxine's Daughter

No i believe GRANDMA is or was an LVN at Kaiser. She admitted to suctioning along with Step Daddy. they fed her something that started the bleeding out.

January 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Patty

And the misinformation just continues and continues. Her grandmother is a LVN, not an RN.

January 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. carlos

What a joke. If these "parents" and I use that term very loosley, cared for their child, they would have made her loose weight. That would have solved all the childs problems. But no, they didn't give a crap because they are overweight to. This poor child is dead because the parents did not teach their child how to exercice and eat properly. End of story

January 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ann

He kept referring to her in past tense by using had and was when speaking. Now I know he knows she's dead, but why are they continuing this nonsense.

January 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • allele

He's doing interviews to keep the donations coming in, influence potential jury pools, extend his narcissistic three weeks of fame, and get a book-movie-tv deal out of it.

January 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • agreewithyou

I agree, I will not be surprised if a movie is made about this. I would want to see this movie, as im sure it will be from the point of view of the family. the whole situation is disturbing.

January 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Maxine's Daughter

apparently nobody wants to hear the facts. the surgery went fine. the family disobeyed post op orders, grandma took it on herself to suction thus breaking the clots. the girl got 4 units of blood but they could not stabilize her. and she was without oxygen for too long. Family culpable blaming the hospital. look at their body language. look at the contradictory statements. lies lies lies. and they think the shyster lawyer will get them out of this since they have removed the evidence. this case stinks to high heaven but the real losers are the younger siblings that will be scarred for life from this fiasco. hasn't anyone else here put this together? this is a case of child neglect (obesity) malfeasance and fraud. the only thing "the body" is used for is to garner more donations. eventually the body will explode and her 3 year old sister will be a nut case for life. get a grip people> don't you know LIES when you see and hear them.?

January 7, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluethunder

They wanted to take her body out of the hospital to avoid the autopsy. Maybe they are trying to hide evidence of what truly caused the death of this innocent child. They could being doing this to remain blaming the hospital and gain a law sue for malpractice, at the mean time they get donations and the Uncle enjoys his 15 minutes of fame.

January 7, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Maxine's Daughter

we need to put "Bones" crew on the job. this sounds like a Patricia Cornwell plot.

January 8, 2014 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Holly

You all should go on the facebook page.Keep Jahi Mcmath on life support. Talk about people in denial. There is no talking common sense to those people. They keep saying it is in Gods hands, not realizing he has already taken her. They think he is going to wake her up.They are not understanding what is happening to her body. It is scary the ignorance of 100's of people.
        I also read some where that the mother was feeding her bits of cheeseburger after the surgery. This mother is grotesque and does not have her childs best interest.

January 8, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

Finally, someone who tells it like it is! Thank you, thank you Maxine's Daughter for telling the whole story! I am SO sick of people not getting the facts straight and playing into this family's BS! Thank you again!!!

January 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Maxine's Daughter

Lori, if you see this reply google Sprockets blog – Trial and Tribulation.. its fascinating... medical and legal persons discussing this case rationally.

January 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gail

Why is the Uncle still doing interviews? They removed the Child from the Hospital.....story over!

January 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluethunder

Because he refuses to let go of his 15 minutes of fame. He obviously enjoy the attentions that he is getting while he promote himself as "uncle beast" using his niece tragedy to get money and fame.

January 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • TruthTeller

Because black people love the camera.

January 7, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donna

The top of his twitter page says it all. "Not interested in getting my followers up, just worried about getting those dollars UP!"

January 8, 2014 at 8:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. kathryn1958

If you truly want to help this family, then stop participating in this farce. You are no better than their lawyer, dragging this out, creating false hope. And yeah, just for a buck. Yes, you are profiting from this debacle, shame on you. I dare you to go to the bedside and see the decaying corpse for yourself, then tell us what you will do to "help" this family. Putting them in touch with a reliable grief counselor, for a start.

January 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluethunder

Well said!

January 7, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patty

EXCELLENT post. Thank you. The media needs to butt out of this. Mr. Morgan, you and your fellow "journalist" are as bad as the low life lawyer. Stop fueling the fire, and maybe these people will go away and Jahi's dead body can finally rest in peace.

January 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maxine's Daughter

these people are beyond counseling they need a rubber room in a mandatory 72 hour state facility wacky ward ..assuming califonia still has mental hospitals and the minor children should be removed from the premises.

January 8, 2014 at 6:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Catrinny1964

This story is just so over. She is not in a coma, she is dead..................Dr said she will not wake up, she is dead............her body is falling part, again she is dead. I am shocked that some medical people (who the uncle won't name) is even taking this on. Performing medical procedures on someone who is dead just seems wrong on so many levels. It is a media circus and the uncle is Bozo the Clown in center stage. God someone please help this poor family snap into reality.

January 7, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maxine's Daughter

i'm sittin' here thinking about what are society is coming to these days with every year we start out with a sensational case that is too stupid to believe. last year is was Martin vs Zimmerman, another sensational tragic mess that should have never happened except that there are some really really crazy people out there. I was a psych nurse at a Maricopa county nut house and I thought I'd seen almost everything. Oh, I'd moonlight at the country drunk tank on the weekends just for fun.

January 8, 2014 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. TruthTeller

I got an idea. Let's see how much time and how many resources we can waste trying to bring back a braindead girl. Great idea.

January 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. paradigmental

Most would empathize with the sudden unexpected death of a mother's child and it seems as if Ms Winkfield appears to have 'lost her mind' in her overwhelming grief and the loss of Jahi. It is the enabling of her brother, Omari Sealey and the lawyer he contacted, Christopher Dolan who are the vultures and predators in this morbid tragedy.
    As Mr Sealey stated in a press conference, $250 K is 'chump change' and Jahi is worth $30 Million - seems he worships a different god than Jahi's mother. Disturbingly grotesque!

January 7, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Native Californian

Mr Morgan
    You are complicit in perpetuating the farce that there is someone to "save" here. This girl is dead and her family is literally and figuratively dragging her corpse through the public arena to gain support for what they hope will be a huge payday. Truly a disgusting spectacle!

January 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. TruthBeeTold

I could have big tears like that too for the 30 plus million they think they are going to get. What I want to know is why, if the family is so worried and struggling that homey still has time to touch up his "fayde" and mama has time to fill in those "claws." Maybe this family and trayvons family should all get together, have a reunion, and wear matching tshirts???

January 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Deedee

My aunt had a massive heart attack and was pronounced brain dead.. "No sign of life whatsoever"... The hospital and deacon attempted to make us feel guilty about not harvesting her organs and unplugging her. My uncle wanted to unplug her on the 3rd day, but her sisters were able to delay it for 5 days. We told the hospital she was reponding and moving but they told us we were in denial and being selfish because she was completely brain dead. They unplugged her and she us alive and well today 10 years later. I think Jahi wouldve had a chance if she had not been starved of nutrients for 3 weeks... Cases like this happen all the time, but doctors will not admit it. Our aunt Mary is proof that brain dead is not dead... The only brain dead are you sad people who fail to realize that medicine is not perfect... Every brain is different, just like snow flakes ;-)

January 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emma

Sorry, but it sounds like a family member wrote this.

January 8, 2014 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Deedee

... Wow... Another cynical person! I don't know this girl nor any of their family members. Im glad we are not the ones going through this because when it happened to my aunt it tore our family apart and it had never been the same. The majority of the family wanted the plug to be pulled, but a hand full of us fought and prayed hard and she some how miraculously pulled through 100%... Even after they told us over and over again that she was brain dead. Do your research Emma, it happens. Medical tests are not perfect, people survive the impossible... Some people call it a miracle. :-)

January 8, 2014 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Holly

DEE DEE are you the same one on the horrible KEEP JAHI ON LIFE SUPPORT FACEBOOK page. Arguing with everyone with common sense? You and all of those other people are feeding into this SHE IS GOING TO WAKE UP FRENZY. Reading your post and posts like yours make me want to rip my hair out. It is scary the ignorance and over zealous religious freaks that are out there.

January 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • machspeeddemon

"Every brain is different, just like snow flakes". (You're joking, aren't you?!) LOL! Good one! Those silly anatomy books seem to show a marked similarity, but you can set them straight!

January 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Deedee

I also wanted to say thank you Piers for your bravery... You continue to stand up to very negative and cynical people who lack that which is so important in life- faith, hope, bravery, perserverance and love. People like you are what makes this world a beautiful place. I am not speaking lightly when I say... YOU ARE A HERO! Thank you for being you! :-)

January 7, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wrong DeeDee!

DeeDee – you, like so many other, are confusing "coma" or "vegetative state" with "brain dead." NO ONE has ever, ever come back from being declared brain dead. Some people just astound me with their ignorance!

January 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Laurie G.

My child has had several surgeries at the very same hospital (Children's hospital Oakland) and spent many months in ICU. I never developed much sympathy for this family because of the huge emotional disruption they created for other families in critical care. As a parent with a gravely ill child you expect peace and understanding from other families. Not a media circus. Sad situation definitely but this stops becoming a personal matter when your actions negatively impact others. "Thank god she is out of Children's" he says. Yes Thank God indeed. And Dr. Durant is awesome as are the medical staff there. They work miracles daily with so few resources. Resources that no one family has special access to. Mr. Morgan, there is a whole other side to this story and let the hospital tell you what really happened. In this mess a child lost her life. Grieving parents do not make rational choices because of the emotional state they are in. This why doctor's determine death, not parents. Your coverage is doing other families of Childrens's a huge disservice by continuing to 'market' painful family situations for ratings. On behalf of OTHER families who have had stories with the hospital and are grateful for the care, we fully support and are behind the hospital without waivering.

January 8, 2014 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deedee

Laurie... Your comment intrigued me! Again, I don't know this family, but Im guessing that what u call a circus, they call fighting for their daughter's life. I don't know the other side of the story u are talking about, but I do know that every patient is unique. It may be that your agree with how your child is being treated, but Jahi's case sounds much different than your child's case... U have the right to proceed as u wish with your child and if Jahi's mom feels in her gut that her daughter is alive, then her baby deserved a chance. I as a mother of two learned a long time ago that a mother's intuition is extremely strong... In this case she was probably right, but after reading a lot of info it looks like the Lil girl will probably die from starvation and lack of care for three weeks. The poor family probably felt so helpless :-( that's how we felt when my aunt's plug was pulled... We don't know how she lived, but she did. Her momma is just doing what her momma bear instincts are telling her to do... Doctors are not God, don't judge a person for not doing things the way u would supposedly do it! There is no clear wrong or right here, this is between the mommy, daddy, Jahi and whoever their higher power is.

January 8, 2014 at 2:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jessica

DeeDee now you do sound like a family member. The family now realizes that their original story isn't going to fly, so now they're claiming that it's possible to starve a DEAD body. Jahi is DEAD and has been for a month. According to an early interview with grandma, Jahi started bleeding immediately after a high risk surgery and granda - who is an LPN and not trained nor authorized to use a suction device - started suctioning Jahi and then gave the device to first the uncle and then to Jahi herself!! And all because she expected the ICU nurses to magically teleport to Jahi's bedside as if there were no other patients in the ICU who also required immediate assistance. That was a direct quote of the events from grandma to a local newspaper!! Jahi lost so much blood that she went into cardiac arrest and then the brain swelled. Jahi died and has been decomposing ever since. Bodies do not live very long if they are full-on brain dead and not being sustained for organ donation.

January 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tzanchan

Interesting note from the Medial Director of the Pediatric ICU. Please read.

As well, and I ask this question from a position of wanting to know the answer – in many articles is says that the mother's "devout Christian beliefs" do not let her accept that her daughter is dead, as her heart is still beating. Is there something in the scriptures that she is referring to? Why don't clergy step in and explain to her that her daughter died back on December 13th?

January 8, 2014 at 2:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deedee

How do u know that she died?!? AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE... Many people have been declared brain dead and pull through. Her family said she was responding to their voices! I don't know if she is still doing this after three weeks without nutrients, but none of us have any idea unless we are there. Instead of judging this family, try praying for this family... Send loving thoughts, send healing thoughts and prayers, pray for a miracle...
      I can't get over how hateful and racists some of the comments have been... Im not saying yours is Tzanchan, but geeze saying she died when u are not there is just sad... The only reason I am commenting on this is because I have personal experience of this happening to my aunt. DOCTORS MAKE MISTAKES ALL THE TIME. My aunt is living, walking, talking proof of a person being declared brain dead for 5 days... In fact, she helped us remodel our kitchen last month. Yes, she's a Lil different now... She sometimes gets confused, but she is still the sweet aunt Mary we all love so much... <3

January 8, 2014 at 2:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Donna

NO ONE who has been declared brain dead by more than 6 doctors has "pulled through". People pull through from comas. The pull through from persistent vegetative states. They do NOT pull through from brain death.

Stop with the nonsense.

January 8, 2014 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Raquel

DeeDee you realize that her body is decomposing as I type this? The brain is liquefying, her gut is sloughing and a host of other horrific things? She is no more likely to "pull through" than any body in any morgue, anywhere. Really, the level of ignorance is stunning and THAT is what makes this case so frightening. How many other families will now do the same with their dead relatives because of this?

January 8, 2014 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Karen

DeeDee please link us to the article on your miraculous aunt. No one has ever been brought back to life after being declared brain dead, especially after 5 days (as you claim) as this would have most certainly made the news. Perhaps she was in a coma or the beginning stage of PVS, but not brain dead. This girl has no brain stem activity, no blood to the brain, she is dead, dead, dead and has been for almost a month. Side note, how old are you? Just wondering because of the smilies and saddies you put in your posts.

January 8, 2014 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
      • dlm

Lord Darth Vader: The Force is strong with this one.

January 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Honest

This "routine" surgery wasn't very routine. They took out both sets of tonsils, removed her uvula and tissue from the roof of her mouth. That's a lot more then routine. The girl had sleep apnea, why because of her weight. What people don't understand is how much your weight affects your recovery from surgery and gives surgeries a higher risk. It's a sad story but you don't come back from brain death. Everyone with these miracle stories is prolonging this girls fate. I'm a Christian but I am also a nurse. I believe our ultimate fate is in gods hands but it was also in the drs, nurses, respiratory therapists, and anyone who was and did take care of her. This surgery wasn't nessessary, she could have wore a cpap machine at night, she could have been put on a diet plan. There is complications with every surgery no matter how "routine". The media isn't sharing the whole story when they just say tonsillectomy. Unfortunately the hospital will not be able to defend them selves due to HIPPA. What these medical personnel are doing to "help" this girl is unethical and wrong! May Jahi rest in peace and move along to a happier place.

January 8, 2014 at 2:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Lori

If she is alive, take her of the ventilator and see is she can live without it. As long as she is hooked up to the machine her heart will still be pumping oxygen to her organs and prolong the fate of Jahi. Sad sad story but the family needs to spend time with Jahi instead of doing interviews.

January 8, 2014 at 3:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Deedee

@Honest... I did read several times about how complicated the surgery actually was. It is very sad that the parents and doctors chose to undergo surgery as opposed to something less invasive, but WTH does that have to do with her mom having the right to fight for her daughter's life?!? If Jahi is in fact dead now, may she rest in peace... If not, may she come back strong and wake the world up to how every person, every situation is UNIQUE... Not every nurse, not every doctor has seen it all. There are 32 different ways a person qualifies as brain dead. Yes there is criteria... But honestly, people defy criteria Mr./Mrs. Honest...

January 8, 2014 at 3:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • SomeOfUsKnow

@Deedee
      This case of Jahi McMath is very disturbing to me because it has made me realize what was actually happening with the body of a loved one of mine several decades ago. The descriptions of the physiological changes to Jahi's body are indisputable evidence that her body is dead. There is no "if" about it. At this point, what the family and whatever facility has her body are doing is desecrating a corpse. There are health hazards involved for those around her rotting corpse, and most states/cities have laws pertaining to these.
      Jahi left her body a long time ago. Now it is time for her family to let it go.

January 8, 2014 at 7:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Deedee

:-( sadly it does sound like the Lil girl's body is decomposing... I know all the cynics out there say she was dead all along, but we truly don't know this. People have recovered after being declared brain dead... Do your research! It's sad that people have attributed this family's struggle, trauma and fight to give her every chance as a ploy for money and greed. ITS CALLED LOVE PEOPLE... IT'S CALLED LOVE! Jahi is not hurting anyone, the family will realize what they need to when the time comes... Leave this traumatized family alone! Use your energy to send them good thoughts... Give your negativity, cynicism, criticism, hatred, judgment a rest and just send the family love! Try it and see how much better u will feel :-)

January 8, 2014 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. Comeon

I know I'm not the only one who has had this run thru their head, but;
    She is not merely dead, but really most sincerely dead.

January 8, 2014 at 6:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donna

Ahhh, but the family is saying she's only mostly dead, not completely dead. And when people are only mostly dead there is only one thing to do...go through their pockets. (Thank you Billy Crystal)

January 8, 2014 at 8:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Raquel

Comeon: good one!

January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dlm

Two thumbs up Comeon.

January 9, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. JadeDog

This child is decomposing into toxic soup in front of their eyes and they still can't accept reality.
    Can't someone step in already?? This twisted circus has gone far enough! This is unhealthy on so many levels, someone please talk to these people!
    In the name of common decency, bury your child and get on with your lives! As a mothier who has done it, yes it is hard, but YOU HAVE TO LET GO!

January 8, 2014 at 9:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Marian

A brain dead person is not really dead but dying. There have been hundreds that have made a full recovery. Just last year in Denmark a 19 year old girl was declared brain dead and they were going to harvest her organs and she woke up and had a full recovery. I support the family. Jahi has a tough road because of lack of nutrition at the hospital for almost a month and her prospects have gotten dimmer. I pray for Jahi and her family. The family has been made to suffer because of our culture of death that does not want to give Jahi a chance for life.

January 8, 2014 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deedee

@Marian... Thank you for leaving your post! People are just uneducated as to what brain dead is and that it exists in a spectrum! People are unaware that people pull through and Jahi could have... Sadly, your statement is correct, we now live in a culture of death :-( some people give up so easily, some people think their experience is all experiences, some people believe their reality is Reality! Sending love to Jahi! <3

January 8, 2014 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Lorna

@ DeeDee~~~ they girl is not going to die , she is ALREADY dead and has been for three weeks. I knew this would happen, now the family (and you) are blaming the hospital for not feeding her...Why would they feed her??? She is dead!

January 8, 2014 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
      • deedeeisanidiot

@deedee you are an uneducated idiot. She is DEAD. DEAD. DEAD. no amount of "nutrition" will bring her back you simpleton. Read this carefully....NO ONE has come back from being brain dead...ever. There HAVE been incorrect diagnoses is the past, paving the way for new testing standards. She is dead. Her brain is literally mush. Literally. She is defecating her gut...yup it's also liquefied and she's crapping it out.

More truth..The hospital due to hipaa regulations, can not defend themselves until they go to court. This was a MAJOR SURGERY, not routine. She had tonsils, uvula, adenoids removed. This was done because she was obese and had sleep apnea. This was an elective surgery. The surgery was a success! However, afterwards her family and "know it all" lvn nurse did not follow dr instructions. They allowed her to talk, laugh carry on..When she was supposed to communicate via white board only. They also decided to "help"? By suctioning her mouth. Clots broke (family has a bleeding problem) she bled, her heart stopped, her brain swelled, the pressure in the brain exceeded the blood pressure, not allowing fresh blood, killing the cortex, stem..The entire brain. The ventilator keeps oxygen In her lungs thus sending oxygen to her heart, keeping it beating. The heart operates Independently from the brain but it WILL stop as her body is not producing the right materials to keep it beating.
        The family is ignorant/stupid/opportunistic as is the lawyer. Love is letting your loved ones die in dignity. It's sad and as a parent she will never fully recover but I write the truth

January 8, 2014 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
      • Deedee

You poor thing... You my dear are the one who is uneducated in this matter! My aunt was declared BRAIN DEAD... DEAD... DEAD YET SHE IS ALIVE ALIVE ALIVE!!! You are crazy wrong wrong wrong... Your name calling reveals you, your heart, your lack of emotional intelligence. Your assumption that you know she was dead and that doctor's can't be wrong proves your lack of all other types of intelligence! God help your soul!

January 8, 2014 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Lorna

@DeeDee~~~ The thing is, a society has been defined by how it treats its dead, since the beginning of times. In all societies, taking care of a corpse is a long and sacred routine and traditional ceremonies are pointed to celebrate the dead person's life and help her carry through to the afterlife world. This is what is wrong with all this case and this is what goes to the heart of the matter, in regard to people commenting on the ill advised , in my opinion, path that the family has taken. People are not just being mean. They are not enjoying saying mean things. They feel disgust for the way this dead body is treated and what it says about society.

January 8, 2014 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Deedee

@Lorna... It does not appear to me that people's hateful, critical and even some racists comments are about their concerns for how her dead body is being treated. I do believe in respecting those who have passed. In these last several hours I have read about what happens to those that donate their organs while they are brain dead, it is not respectful whatsoever... I lost my dad at a very early age, I almost lost my son to leukemia... I know it's hard to let go and I would never be so pompous to demand a family follow my guidelines... In New Zealand the family decides, not doctors. Im just saying leave this poor family alone, grow a heart people, we're not there to know what happened, we all think we know according to rumors, media, interviews... But we are all taking bits and pieces and creating our own truths... Just let it be... There will come an answer, let it be!

January 8, 2014 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
      • ann left

Wow.... There are no words for how incredibly ignorant you are. Please please please I beg you to stop with your ignorant statements. So you are telling me that 6 doctors; people who have dedicated their life to help and serve others, doctors who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on higher education, doctors who have spent many many years in medical school and extensive specialties would risk their licenses and life to make up some wild theories on the death of this child. And you are also telling me that some bible toting moron's point-of-view trumps that of medical science? Just think about that for a second.

January 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Deedee

I never said that any of the 6 doctors chose to risk their licenses, nor did I state that they made up some wild theories... Your statements prove how twisted people can become when they are emotional! I especially did not say that bible thumpers trump anyone! I have only stated my experience, my truth, my aunts recovery after being declared BRAIN DEAD... Take a deep breath and slow down lady/man person... Brain dead is a legal term made after an assessment has been performed, it is on a spectrum of criteria, it is not definitive death... It is possible or probable death... Not definitive death, so I BEG U TO STOP MAKING IGNORANT STATEMENTS! My aunt is my proof, I don't get enjoyment out of these arguments... Im standing for all those who like my aunt need a lil time & nourishment to recover from so called brain death. Sadly, it's probably too late for Jahi... But if my aunts plug had been pulled sooner maybe she would not have recovered on the 5th day. How can people be disputing the fact, the science that every brain is different... We are just beginning to understand the brain, how can these tests purport to measure the parts of the brain we have yet to understand... Science, medicine changes daily- WE DONT KNOW... WHAT WE DONT KNOW!

January 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deedee

Someone asked about an article that proves my aunts miraculous recovery... Actually, I have no idea whether one exists, but I will ask my cousins if there is one. There was no media covering this story, there was only our family grieving, crying and fighting with each other just like all of these posts are. Everyone had their own opinion and the court system decided to allow my uncle to make the decision to pull the plug against other family member's wishes... All of us surrounded her as they turned off the machines, all of us believed we were watching her take her lady's breaths. When she didn't die immediately, we were confused... they told us it that although it is rare, so stones it takes about 30 minutes even though the brain is dead that the heart keeps going a little while. Well, needless to say, her heart never stopped... She is alive and well. This was in Riverside, California. I don't know if her 6 children would want me to say much more, but I will inform them of these posts. As for my age question... Wow, really?!? Mature and old enough to know that your question lacks complete insight as to what is important here... Grow up! And just because it didn't make the news, doesn't mean it didn't happen to our family... :-/

January 8, 2014 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • ann left

@DEEDEE If you sweet Aunt Mary actually "returned" back to life following ACTUAL brain death NOT brain damage or a persistent vegetative state, then she is the only one in the entire world that has ever done so, and your sweet Aunt Mary is something of a medical miracle. However, I doubt that and it was likely a misdiagnosis. Only religious nuts believe in medical miracles and zombies.

January 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cheryl

Actually DeeDee, from your own description it is clear that your aunt failed one of the basic criteria for a correct diagnosis of brain death. It's called the apnea test. If the person can breath on their own after the ventilator is removed, then they're not brain dead. They're either in a coma or persistent vegetative state. Since it happened so long ago, you are most likely mis-remembering or confused as to what precisely the doctors did say at the time.

January 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Deedee

This isn't about religion, this isn't about miracles... I used that word, for lack of a better word. This actually happened in 2001, so I don't know if the apnea test was performed. I don't know whether her diagnoses was changed or if it was accurate. All I know is we were told she was BRAIN DEAD and that that we needed to let her move on and harvest her organs for the living. We were told over and over again that we were being selfish and making it harder for her children (my cousins). My other uncle who is a lawyer tried to prolong the machines being turned off, but it didn't work. My aunt is not the only one this has happened to... How do we know it was a misdiagnoses if we start pulling the plug so soon and refuse to provide nourishment. Her brain was not responding according to tests, but her heart was responding and she deserved nourishment. All I know is she is alive and Im not mis-remembering that they told us she was dead in every sense of the word.

January 8, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Deedee

No I don't have such a page, I commented on here after seeing the CNN interview... Im not a crazy person, just a person who has a relative who was almost lost after being declared brain dead... No more, no less

January 8, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deedee

Sorry about all the confusing typos... I should have proofread before posting... * lady = last breaths... so stones = sometimes

January 8, 2014 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donna

No, no, no. Brain dead is dead, NOT dying.

All of these so called "woke up after being brain dead" stories are just that. Stories. Have people been wrongly called brain dead? Yes. Generally by writers who don't understand the difference between the two things.

January 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. GREEDY

I wonder if the family will now sue the hospital for allowing Jahi to be transferred and thus her body is beginning to decay and death (yes I know she is already dead) is quite imminent. I am sure NOW they will say that the hospital should never have allowed her to be transferred. This family is looking for money. They will sue for the initial error (as they see it), also for not feeding Jahi, and now for allowing her to be transferred when she was in such bad shape (yes I know she was already dead)

January 8, 2014 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Patricia

>> "We want to thank you, because it was really your show that helped connect us with the people who are now helping her. News is always, often put down. In this case, you helped make this possible."

You must be so proud of playing such a huge role in helping to perpetuate the medical/scientific ignorance of this family and the lust for limelight of their attorney. Well done. <<

I am more than in agreement with the above post by Vivian. You...of all people...a *journalist*...ought to get your facts straight before allowing a totally ONE SIDED view and information to be aired. I watched when you've had the great debates about gun control after Sandy Hook and Travon Martin and others. *WHERE* is the great debate...AND FACTS...about what BRAIN DEATH IS and the in detail explanation of it so the public CAN UNDERSTAND what it is. Isn't your duty to also educate those that watch your show?/

SHAME ON YOU FOR PERPETUATING THE INACCURACIES OF WHAT BRAIN DEATH IS...AND GIVE FALSE HOPE TO PEOPLE!!!

January 8, 2014 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Danielle

This is absolutely horrifying!

January 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Shegirl

I'm confused. When the doctors did their testing, didn't they have to stop the ventilator to see if she was breathing on her own? So if she wasn't breathing then, why turn it back on? Or was it on during the test? At what point does the heart stop beating while on a ventilator? Is the family aware that her heart is being pump artifically? I don't understand all the medical procedures. My heart goes out to the family that they have to go through this. Rest Jahi!

January 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • AM

Yes the doctors perform something called an apnea test to see if the primitive brain functions are intact. When the ventilator is turned off for a moment the patient will either attempt to breathe on their own or not. If they do not, the diagnosis of brain death is very likely and the ventilator is turned back on as life support until the diagnosis is confirmed. While the body stops breathing the heart will continue beating for a short time, it may even beat faster to account for lack of oxygen as the lungs are no longer working. However there is no doubt that the heart will stop and patient will have cardiocirculatory arrest shortly thereafter. The fact is the girl is brain dead, therefore dead. Piers should be taken off the air for his ridiculous remarks and this sham of an interview.

January 8, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jim Phillips

"CaliGirl9":
    "Jahi is not receiving any medication keeping her unconscious. It’s likely there will be more reflex arc movements. Google the Lazarus reflex video. Hearts don't need brains in order to beat, they need lungs oxygenating them. Ever heard of a bleeding disorder called Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation? She will bleed from every orifice and every pore and it will not be stoppable. Her body temperature will decrease, her blood pressure will decrease, having a negative effect on her kidneys and heart. Jahi will not feel a thing. Her mother will remember all of it. Did you watch the video? Does the idea of keeping this child's mortal remains on earth long enough to see her brain liquefy sound good? Does the idea of her body leaking stool, or requiring stool to be manually removed from her anus sound appealing? Does the smell of decay appeal to you? Does the idea of bedsores, which WILL happen no matter how good the nursing care is—open, decaying and possibly infected weeping areas of absent flesh exposing the muscle, sinew or maybe even bone beneath—sound pleasant? Jahi fits every criteria for brain death. Every one. Cannot breathe on her own, no reflexes in her eyes, no purposeful movements from painful stimuli, no gag reflex. How many uninformed, ignorant people are going to think that the brain heals (which a brain without circulation does not) so all we need is time? The family is unleashing some horrific memories of Jahi on themselves by continuing to deny that she is deceased. Her organs WILL fail and it will be very distressing to watch.

January 8, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Debbie WR

Selfish, selfish parents. While you are obsessed with the dead, you are forgetting about the LIVING, BREATHING children that you still have. They will be damaged by all of this–if they aren't already. It is time to remember what you still have and thank God for the time you had with Jahi. Show ALL your children the respect they deserve.

January 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. GG

DeeDee, they unhooked your aunt and she survived...then the family should have unhooked Jahi at day 5 and the same could have happened. However, their refusal to turn off the ventilator for almost a month is not the same as your Aunt. If Jahi was truly not dead, she could be unhooked and survive, as your Aunt did...but her family refused to unhook her and got a court order to keep her connected. They could not feed her in a brain dead state and did not starve her to death as the family now says. If she were alive, unhooking her could have been their miracle. The fact that they want her hooked up proves they know that she can't breathe on her own, therefore has no brain activity, as your Aunt had to have in order to continue to survive once it was removed.

January 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Aditya Mangla

Wy does Piers never actually talk about any scientific facts. She no longer "is". She "was". He clearly is biased and did not ask any pertinent questions. The girl had a very complex surgery and unfortunate post op complication. The details regarding her post op care are still a mystery. Piers has no scientific knowledge and his positions are dangerous for a network such as CNN to allow a forum for. Frankly the man is a complete disgrace and this story proves how dangerous he really is. There has never been a reported case of reversible brain death. Maybe he should have asked something about that?

January 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Crystal

I am not a fanatic, but I pray this gets to her momma: M'am, I don't know what your relgious background is, but Jesus is the resurection and the life. It is hard to stand and believe for restoration if you don't know what to believe to even where to begin. So let me tell you this, #1 It IS God's will for your daughter to be healed. Don't let anyone tell you different. I don't care who says it. Get that in your spirit first. #2 His body was broken for her healing and His blood was shed. That is God's covenant promise to His people. Now if you are not saved, ask Jesus to come into your heart right now and be your Lord and savior. It is just that simple. Ask Him to forgive you of all of your sins. Your are in right standing with God from that point on. Now you need to stand on the scriptures that pertain to your situation. One that comes to mind are John 11:25. Get this in your heart ma'am and believe for your daughter. Get her some head phones and play healing scriptures to her back to back. This is not hersay...I can't argue docterine all I can tell you is what worked for me and this worked.

January 8, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dlm

"Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me, only money." - Watto, Star Wars

January 9, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. charlie potato head

Hey Zucker, start a Tshirt store for lost causes.
    Put a few of your ass clowns pictures on coffee mugs.

January 8, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. kathryn1958

So, Piers, when is your follow-up interview, hopefully bedside? You have researched the facility where she is being kept, right? You have researched the team of doctors that has performed the insertion of the trach and feeding tube, right?
    You are a joke, Piers. You have no credibility as a journalist whatsoever. You are an entertainer. Well, sort of.

January 10, 2014 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Renee

Uncle Chump Change is looking for the dollars. Keep those dollahs up! He thinks he's gonna get rich from this. Wait till he sees that any settlement checks have Jahi's parents' names on them, not his. He's gonna throw a hissy fit. He used to work as a scientific job recruiter. He can't tell the difference between live and dead, how can he hire for Genentech?

January 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. may

For decency sake bury the body, it is no longer a living being, it is DEAD DEAD DEAD.

March 1, 2014 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply