Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 16th, 2014

John McCain is a "great admirer" of many...just not Piers Morgan

On the heels of a recent "The Washington Post" story, in which the newspaper collects and counts various instances of a very specific form of praise offered by John McCain, on Thursday evening "Piers Morgan Live" welcomes the Senator from Arizona, asking him to offer a reaction.

In the article, the former Republican presidential candidate is quoted as having used the expression “I’m a great admirer of..." a astounding 23 times over the course of the last decade.

Proving that McCain's repetitive turn of phrase isn't limited to simply print, tonight Piers Morgan rolls a video compilation that features the 77-year-old Republican admiring multiple colleagues over the course of four separate television interviews.

At the conclusion of the clips, the host admits to feeling left out, as "there's no record of you saying that about me."

Proving that he's nothing if not a good sport, McCain enjoys the moment along with Morgan:

"I won't say that about you, I will not say that about you," he says, with mock intensity. "I will expand my descriptive language when I admire someone. I admit that I probably use the same phrase too often. I plead guilty, Piers."

Joining the program via satellite from Washington, McCain is unable to let the interview end without tossing one more good-natured verbal barb:

"But I'll never say that about you!"

It's this final comment that leaves Morgan truly hurt:

"I'm absolutely devastated, I've got to say," he admits.

To learn what else McCain is willing to say, tune in for the full interview at 9 on CNN.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Allen

Piers, why is it that republicans can continue to drive the issue of Benghazi with Sec Clinton; when President GW Bush went into a country claiming weapons of mass destruction when in reality he knew nothing was there and he just had a vendetta to clear. Many civilians and many of our sons and daughters in the military died as a result of his daft error and recklessness on sending our country to war in a country which had nothing to do with 911. How long will it be before someone "official" suggests that GW should be charged and held liable for war crimes. No different than Saddam H.

January 16, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. David

Gov. Christie is accused of directing his staff to shut down the lanes on the GW bridge. Are the Republicans accusing Hillary Clinton of directing her staff to gather a bunch of Arabs together to attack the Benghazi compound. What about the soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, how come more and better protection was not provided so their deaths could have been avoided. The soldiers are no less important than an ambassador and his employees yet there is no outrage for those soldiers killed before, at the time, or after Benghazi.

January 16, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • azwi

John McCain's warmongering views and stupidity helped get us into a senseless war in Iraq. Remember McCain's weapons of mass destruction? Well McCain lied to us then and continues to lie to us today. Nobody is an admirer of that old warmonger John McCain expect the Defense & Oil Industries that old the old senile goat, John McCain!

January 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. max

I can not wait for your people to post the one I wish to say something about. did you not hear what he said this animal will be killed one way or the other. and you keep saying due to the hate you have for guns. he will take out his big gun and kill this poor animal. when this animal well keep killing its own kind. how backwards how not ears can you be to not hear how sad you come off. go leave my country that I so love and go to a place where there is only killing of the good by the bad people for that is your idea of fair. lions and bears and killer of humans only kill humans and not one human kills anything. you make me nuts I try to watch your show I try to see your side of it ones. And your hate of American rich is over flowing in ever show you do. unless they make there money off the lies and holllywood trash. how dare you ask him if he is going to be smiling and taking picture. when you see them that make movies and songs games that you and I both know has made some killed them self and others and you say nothing and they are paid to do this. And some how you show the dirt of humans how they want to hunt this man this human down and kill him out of hate. this is going back to the days when people white people came out and said they wanted to kill black people or the ones that wanted to kill gays due to them being gay. it makes me sick that now its the whites lords people the rich and the hunters that now are put in the box where some how this is okay to hate and say this? so I ask you has the hate Morgan you been given made you think more of not talking about your views on guns? what he asked about your meat you eat. its not about how few there are. murder come on you can not be so blind to this. the hate these human for a lack of a better word that would say they want to kill a child. how can you stand there and do nothing. the reason you will not go with him is out of fear of being killed by the one they are hunting. coward! I'm just sick of the okay hate and the not okay hate we now have that is stamp by men like you. you make sick. I try to see your side of it you make it hard to do so as many I use to stand and march for now do. how can they not see the same hate the same unfairness they now give to others wow.

January 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. tomj

John McCain is a rude, crude, mean and abrupt jerk! I wouldn't worry about it Pier nobody really gives a hoot what John McCain says or does. Remember Pier, the American people very soundly and overwhelmingly rejected McCain as being unqualified, outdated, out of touch and too much of a warmonger to be president not once but twice. Just show some class yourself and never again invite the old goat as a guest.

January 16, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. missy

John McCain thinks that he's cute with his sarcastic remarks, but he's rude, crude, mean and abrupt to anyone that disagrees with him. Thank God that he never became president, with his hate mongering he would of had us into numerous wars. At McCain very advance years he's completely out dated, out of ideas and out of touch with the average citizen He's all for the large corporations and is completely against the average American. Either McCain is a sick man with his ideas of wars, bombings and killings, or he has a total disregard for human life.
    As we are approaching the MLK Holiday we all must be reminding that John McCain voted against the MLK Holiday back in 1988.

January 18, 2014 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply