Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 20th, 2014

Jordan Belfort on seeing "The Wolf of Wall Street": "I felt myself sweating at certain points"

On the heels of Thursday's 2014 Oscar nominations announcement, which revealed “The Wolf of Wall Street” being included among the films fighting for the Best Picture win, on Monday evening Piers Morgan invited Jordan Belfort to join him exclusively for a face to face interview.

Seated across the "Piers Morgan Live" host as part of an hour-long conversation, the man about whom the movie is based shared his thoughts on Leonardo DiCaprio, the actor tasked with portraying him in the Hollywood production:

"Originally when Leo saw this project, he wanted to get it on screen – and he said this publicly – because it represented the mistakes that I made, and the attitude I had at the time, represents a lot of what went really wrong ultimately, many years later with Wall Street," said the 51-year-old stock broker turned motivational speaker. "It was important to him, and I think that - what impressed Leo, I think about my new life so much, is he saw me make this really radical turn, and I think that moved him. And I was really proud and shocked that he did that."

Equally impressed by DiCaprio as he felt the actor was with him, Belfort detailed the countless hours the two spent together as the Oscar-nominated star prepared for his role:

"One thing I don't think people realize about Leo, is his excellence is not by accident. He strives for it, he works really, really hard. I think he was so determined to suck every bit of information from me," Belfort detailed in Monday's interview. "Stuff that wasn't in the book, and what was on my mind, just really trying - you don't realize how much he's looking at you, because when I saw it on screen, I was like 'oh, my god.' I thought his ... it was mind-boggling to see."

A month since Martin Scorsese's three hour epic premiered, Belfort offered his reaction after viewing the film himself:

"It was shocking ... I saw the movie with my fiancee the first time, and we were speechless afterwards," said the man who spent 22 months in prison for securities fraud and money laundering. "I had come to terms with my old life. I wrote this book, and that was like a cathartic experience for me. But to see it on film like that, with someone that did such a good job, I literally, I felt myself sweating at certain points, when some of the cocaine was being snorted. I got almost sympathetic reactions to it."

Watch the clip for more of Morgan's interview with Belfort, and for the next edition of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Joan Wilson

Piers should ask Jordan WHY he hasn't paid back all the money he owes his victims-I understand he has not done so. From what I see, he is still a psychopath (and you don't need to murder someone to be one). He says he want to stay under the radar, but then, why is he on CNN.

January 21, 2014 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chucker

Once a con-man always a CON.Who is he fooling, smugly saying he will meet anyone who lost their LIFE SAVINGS.Most likely all those people are Dead.Whether it be old age,stress or self infliction he knows there won't be any takers.How Piers didn't see through Belforts "generous invite" Pleassse!! those poor victims and their Kin

January 21, 2014 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. phil

Jordan is a minor leaguer compared to John D. Rockefeller, Baron Rothschilds and others. These madmen STOLE TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS and are still stealing. They own all of the global money power, all the oil power, all the large public and private corporations, auto corp. all the airlines etc. These creeps are the MADMEN OF OUR WORLD...

January 21, 2014 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • phil

How about the stealing of the Bush family, Kennedy family, Clinton family, Roosevelt family...unlimited stealing!!!

January 21, 2014 at 9:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Stu Holmes

The Wolf of Wall Street clip I found of DiCaprio endorsing Jordan Belfort has found it's way to @PiersMorganLive http://www.thebioscopist.com/2013/11/16/leonardo-dicaprio-had-to-take-one-for-the-wolf-of-wall-street-team/

January 21, 2014 at 7:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. frank

Wolf of Wall Street. He wishes. Goniff of Groton street. Remora of Ronkokomo, lampray of Long Island, how about it.

January 21, 2014 at 10:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. kay48

I was amused when he said that even when he was convicted his mummy and daddy were still proud of him.

January 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. goestaft

Do not believe the link above, he just gave misleading information, I've been watching this film for free here http://tubemovies.biz/watch/play.php?movie=0993846 or http://tinyurl.com/ojtpvjp
    You can watch it directly or download it there, do not trust the person above
    who provide fake links, they just mislead you , and I hope this information helps

January 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cynthia Battle

Jordan Belford is evil. He lives in manhattan beach california in a 20 million dollar home which he should have to sell and pay his 110 million dollar court ordered amount. Why did he not get charged with drug procession
    The unfortunate miniorities with public defenders are spending 20 years in prison.
    He travels the world. He should help the poor. He is a very very selfish man We say the pledge of alligence to the flag but it is not justice for all . Piers please have him on your show to meet the people he said he only inflicted minimal damage to Love your show. Peace be with you

January 21, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Gert Claassen

Was interested to hear what Belfort had to say. I don't mind tough interviews but then give the guy a chance to answer. He hardly had a chance to complete his answer before Piers interrupted with the same questions. A lot that I wanted to hear was interrupted. Not good.

February 14, 2014 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply