Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 21st, 2014

Rachel Nichols aks Richard Sherman if he has any regrets following Sunday's post-game interview

Roughly two days removed from a post-game interview that dropped jaws and incited reaction across the country, on Tuesday evening Piers Morgan sought additional insight into the man behind the microphone, the Seattle Seahawks' brash cornerback Richard Sherman.

Sherman's pass deflection in Sunday's NFC Championship Game effectively sent the Seahawks to the Super Bowl – Seattle will meet the Denver Broncos on February 2nd – yet it was an energized diatribe launched at San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree that cost him points with many football fans.

As part of an interview that airs in full on CNN's "Unguarded" Friday evening at 10:30 p.m., Rachel Nichols sat down with the defensive star, asking if he's had second thoughts about anything he said:

"Mostly I regret the - I guess the storm afterwards. The - you know, the way it was covered, the way it was perceived, and the attention that it took away from the fantastic performances from my teammates, you know," Sherman told Nichols. "I probably shouldn't have attacked another person. I don't mean to attack him. And that was immature. And I probably shouldn't have done that. I regret doing that. But I just felt like my teammates deserved better. And I - you know, I have to apologize to them and I have."

Significantly more poised and composed with Nichols then he had been with FOX Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman spoke of the racially-infused attacks he's been subject to since Sunday:

"It was really mind-boggling. And it was kind of - it was kind of sad that the way the world reacted - you know, I can't say the world. I don't want to generalize people like that, because there are a lot of great people who didn't react that way," noted Sherman. "But for the people who did react that way and throw the racial slurs and things like that out there, it was really sad."

On Monday, a day after the game, Sherman used his Twitter account to reference some of the hate speech he's been subjected to:

Speaking with Nichols, the man who graduated Stanford University with a degree in communications expounded upon the message of his tweet:

"Especially that close to Martin Luther King Day. You're not judging a guy. I'm not out there beating on people or committing crimes or getting arrested or doing anything. I'm playing a football game at a high level. And I got excited. But what I did was within the lines of a football field," he noted, offering what he feels is a clear distinction. "What they did was an actual reality. They showed their true character. Those were real comments, not in a moment, not in a - you know, they had time to think about it. They were sitting at a computer and they expressed themselves in a true way. And I thought society had moved past that."

Watch the clip for more of Nichols' chat with Sherman, including his explanation of the ways in which he's able to alter his personality based upon circumstance, and for the full sit down interview with the two-time All-Pro selection, catch "Unguarded" on Friday night at 10:30 p.m.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Kevin

Your going support Richard when he made a joke of the game and scared Erin. Your the joke pierce. Your losing respect if u think that's football. I hope u go down with Sherman.

January 22, 2014 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

He did NOT scare her. She gave him a hug after that. You're choosing to be just like the rest of the ignorant biased fools that are TRASH TALKING A TRASH TALKER!? And make a joke of the game?? He's one of the best in it!! Are you kidding me with this?

January 22, 2014 at 4:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • maryanne

I'm a grandma Seahawk fan, my son played football. I would love to have Richard Sherman and all of the Seahawks as my grandsons. They play fair and square at the highest level and have been ignored by most of you for the past 38 years. They are more like the local high school or college team to us.

They do tons for our community and our state. Richard Sherman's parents have raised a wonderful young man.

Where were you when New Orleans coaches paid out bounties to actually break legs and backs of their opponents?

So until you can play football at the pro level or graduate from Stanford, shut up.

January 22, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kevin

Piers. ****. Sorry. I guess I'm not as intelligent as Sherman

January 22, 2014 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jim B

Piers Morgan: You "admire and respect Richard Sherman" ? Have you ever heard of Marino, Elway or Farve ? I could never even imagine any of them exhibiting such a shameful display of poor sportsmanship as Sherman's rant..

January 22, 2014 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

You obviously have a pre meditated hatred to say something so ignorant. You try playing one of the most brutal games of all time for 60 min, making the game winning play, 90 seconds later, not swearing, approached by a FRIEND reporter after proving to crab tree, the original instigator, that you're the superior player and say ANYTHING SMARTER or less 'brash'

January 22, 2014 at 4:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dmitri

So I was expecting news on siria, but I guess its not much importance to cnn, maybe bc only thousands human lifes been vanished from the earth, and no interviews like that. That is just funny. Number 1 exclusive as you said. But you not alone all msnbc anchors talk about jersey's governor, fox can't stop about socialist take in over. Good job to all of big 3 cable TV news.

January 22, 2014 at 1:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bob

So far not a very insightful interview by Rachel. Feels more like a piece aimed at glorifying who he is. John Wooden would have cried having seen the behavior this man displayed on the field and again after taking a shower and putting a suit on. If he were a real man he would simply say "I made a mistake, this is not an example of the person i am, i am sorry"...... He needs to talk to someone about that chip on his shoulder. Rachel needs to learn how to really probe the person she is interviewing.

January 24, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jude

I guess you watched the interview but didn't listen because I heard him say a number of times that he was wrong Bob. What Chip on his shoulder? He embraced his conduct like a man, put it in the appropriate context, refused to be drawn further into the chaos by "keeping it clean" about the background between he and Crabtree. You are very narrow minded and judgmental to question his "real man" status after hearing him speak and surely learning more about his true character off the field. He is an athlete and an entertainer. You probably love the mean spirit embodied by Chris Christie, John McCain and Sarah Palin for what they have in common and how they are different from Richard Sherman.

January 24, 2014 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Bob

I'm sure you will be upset to hear I'm a democrat. Not sure what politics has to do with this man's behavior. It was a puff piece. He is not Ali. I find the comparison to Ali to be sickening.

January 25, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Theresa A Bushey

I don't like football, I don't watch football but I am so super impressed with this kid Ricahrd Sherman. I think he did fine, and didn't do a darn thing wrong. I was raised on "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" so this intelligent, good looking, stong kid is refreshing. I think he should pay the $7,800. odd fine, match the fine amount, challenge the NFL to donate all money to a charity dear to Shermans heart; and you know a kid from the ghetto must have lots of places to put that money. I can't even believe I'm taking the time to write down my view & feelings

January 25, 2014 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply