Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 29th, 2014

Barry Gibb on the passing of his three younger brothers: "Nobody really knew how to deal with it all"

Coming up tonight at 9, Piers Morgan opens his New York studio to entertainment icon and fellow countryman Barry Gibb, as the former Bee Gees star joins the program for a face to face, primetime interview.

The sole surviving member of the famed pop music group, the 67-year-old shares his feelings on outliving each of his male siblings, all of whom were his junior:

"I did mope around for a few months, good few months. And the whole family did. Nobody really knew how to deal with it all, because it's the loss of three brothers," says Gibb, referencing fellow Bee Gee's and twin brothers Maurice Gibb and Robin Gibb, who died in 2003 and 2012 respectively, as well as Andy Gibb, a solo performer who passed away unexpectedly in 1988.

"He was only 30 years old," explains Barry Gibb, speaking of Andy, whose death followed years of alcohol and drug use. "So it was all of that. And then we had to go through that valley, you know, the whole family. Even now, my mother is still, um, uh, one way or the other, she goes up and she goes down."

The Gibb matriarch is still alive, well into her 10th decade, as is the oldest sibling, a sister, named Leslie.

"[She] lives in Australia and, uh, I think, the last count, [had] eight children. So she's keeping it all going in her way," notes Wednesday's guest, before offering a final sobering thought on the topic.

"Leslie, me and mum. And, uh, we have the memories now. We have the memories."

Watch the clip for more of Gibb's familial insights, and for the full interview with the Bee Gee superstar, watch CNN at 9p.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: In the Chair
  1. bgmiller

There is no MICHAEL GIBB morons...it's ANDY GIBB.

January 29, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer

there is no Michael Gibb! His name was Andy Gibb!!!!

January 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. rrwrenee

Michael is Barry's son, not his brother. Please check your facts, CNN. ANDY GIBB is still loved and missed by his many fans.

January 29, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • gibby gibson

So true. Andy Gibb can still wrench my 47 year-old heart. He was an innocent boy who went too high too fast. But he was sensitive and honest–and that came through in his music and his many interviews.
      He once said he was a "has been." He got that impression, no doubt, from the media. The media didn't recognize then, nor does it now, that Andy Gibb touched hearts so deeply that he will never be forgotten.

July 8, 2014 at 1:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Butch Viitala

The legend lives on. Such a tribute to the BeeGees. Thanks CNN for bringing Barry into my living room. From 8 track to cassette, to disc. Owned them all.

January 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Patrick

The brothers name is Andy not Michael

January 29, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. rrwrenee

I just noticed that the article is now correct to show Andy Gibb. Thanks!

January 29, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. JoAnn

Piers. when are you going to apologize to the Lunenburg Blue Knights high school football team for falsely accusing them of being racist? Or can you just say anything? Please don't Twanna Brawley them. Does being liberal mean never having to say your sorry?

February 3, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mari magaz

Missed this episode will it be replayed on TV? If yes, when?

February 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Diane Silva

I was a fan of all the Gibb brothers and was saddened by all their deaths , but especially Andy's. He was so young and had so much talent. It must be hard for Barry and his mom and sister.

May 12, 2014 at 1:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Marie

It is so strange they made the song "staying Alive" and they are all gone with the exception of Barry. So much talent and the lives were way too short.

May 25, 2014 at 10:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Name*Linda Chandler

Hello, my name is Linda Chandler, I am trying to find out if any the Gibb family remembers my mom (Fannie Brown) she use to work for the Gibb family in Miami, Fl. She is now 85 years old and still remembers conversation with the brothers and even some of their wives. She told me about a song they said they would name after her called Fanny be tender with your love. I thought she was just joking until I looked it up on YouTube, who knew she was telling the truth. If you find someone who remembers Mrs Fanny please write back. Thank you

November 30, 2015 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ellie

Poor Barry. Such a fan of the BG' s and I'm only 28. Love Andy & his songs too, beautiful boy with amazing voice. Sad that he passed then Maurice & Robin too. Just so sad. Wish I had been 21 in the 70s. The music then beats today's every time & people were so ...different to now. The BG's are the band I go for just to get that lovely 70s feeling x

December 17, 2015 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Rebecca

Thank you beegees for all the wonderful and special music all these years. It was the best time wasn't` it? I love you, and appreciate you. Mom , sister, barry- I hope your hearts are lighter . As a person who's heart is broken since childhood. And many more times after that. I just want to promise you that although you never will forget, you will feel better as time goes on. I can promise you that. Thanks so much for your talented sons. And for such incredible music. I just watched the Australian concert. God Bless you.

January 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. JENIFER HANSON

I LOVE ALL 4 OF THE GIBB BROTHERS BUT PERTICULERY ROBIN HE IS MY FAVORITE OUT OF THE 4 MAURICE IS SECOND BARRY IS MY THEIRD AND ANDY IS MY FOURTH AND THE BEE GEES WILL STILL BE A GROUP IN MY BEE GEES WORLD EVEAN THOUGH ROBIN MAURICE AND ANDY ARE GONE BUT THAT DOSE NOT MATTER TO ME AT ALL I STILL LOVE THEM AND WILL STILL COLLECT THEIR CD'S AND DVD'S OF THEM FOR AS LONG AS I AM ALIVE AND I WISH I COULD OF MET ROBIN MAURICE AND ANDY BUT THAT'S OK I WILL SEE THEM IN HEAVEN.
    LOVE ALWAYS
    JENIFER HANSON

April 27, 2016 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. parisjok

no words to express just how much their music means to me. they will always be my favorite music group!!!!!

June 28, 2016 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. elizabeth almond

don't forget the bee gee's were writing beautiul, insightful music in the late 1960's they were only teenagers when they wrote "the great mining disaster" and many other classics! they were truly genuises!

August 10, 2016 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply