Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 5th, 2014

Author Janet Mock returns to "Piers Morgan Live" for a second interview

On the heels of Tuesday evening's primetime interview, on Wednesday night author Janet Mock returned to "Piers Morgan Live."

As indicated in their respective social media feeds, the host and guest were hoping to move forward from their first conversation in the mutual interest of clarity and common ground.

For a snippet of Wednesday's encore, which revisits some of the questions raised in the pair's first conversation, watch the above video. In the clip, the author offers this explanation for her second appearance in as many nights:

"I want this to be a learning and teaching moment for all of us," said Mock. "There's a lot of of misunderstanding."

Meanwhile, to view Mock's Wednesday interview in full, click this link or see below.

And, if you missed the first conversation between the host and author, or if you'd simply like to watch it once more, it's available here.

For the next episode of "Piers Morgan Live," watch CNN every night at 9 p.m.
-–
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Big Story
  1. Bluejay

Piers Morgan has been completely unprofessional about this entire thing on twitter and, unsurprisingly, behaved the same way in this interview. If the people you claim to support are telling you that what you are doing is wrong or harmful...and your response is to consistently belittle them, to call them ridiculous...then you are NOT a supporter in the first place. If you care more about your image and what people say to you on twitter than about the struggles of trans* people, then you are not a supporter. The LGBTQ community does not need your fake, luke-warm liberal "support". We need people who know when to stop talking and listen to OUR voices about OUR experiences. You couldn't even let this woman talk without constantly interrupting her!

February 6, 2014 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jackal

I completely agree. As an ally, Piers has no grounds to decide whether or not something is offensive. If Janet was offended by something, then she was offended. End of story. What Piers should have done is calmly assessed the situation, figured out what offended her, apologise and learn from it. It's simple.

Allies are not here to argue with LGBTQ+ over whether something is or is not offensive. Allies are here to support. You are the LGBTQ+ community's ladder and we rely on your help, but when you say something upsetting it's like you're pulling the ladder out from under our feet. When you refuse to acknowledge that you've upset people, you are refusing to catch us when we fall.

While Piers may have thought he was being supportive in the interview – and I do genuinely believe he thought he was, which is good! – he made a mistake which caused Janet to be upset. Instead of having a tantrum and pulling up excuses of 'Oh, but this article here called you this and you didn't say that,' he should have taken this as an opportunity to learn how to be a better ally.

Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. What you need to do is LEARN from them.

February 6, 2014 at 4:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • nick

This would be valid if Janet had expressed the fact the she was offended politely. Instead, she decide to villify Pierce via her tweets. Instead of assuming he made an honest mistake, she assumed that Pierce was using this unfamiliar diction maliciously. The last person you should villify is the person going out of their way to support your plight. When you do this it only sets a bad example for the potential supporters that you are attempting to expose to your message. The LGBT comunnity needs to learn to be understanding and to stop assuming everyone has slanderous intent if they expect other people to understand and appreciate them for who they are.

February 6, 2014 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Meli

The book is about her life as a transgender woman, how can she get mad or the transgender community mad for something she decided to reveal herself?

Is as simple as this, if she does not want people asking her about her "past life" do not tell them you are transgender.

She decided to open the fact that she is transgender, so she has to learn to live with people asking her about that experience. If you want people to see you like a woman then do not tell them about your transgender life.

I really do not understand transgender people asking to be treated as a woman / man , then they refer themselves as transgender.

Now her face is all over the Internet and people already knows about her transgender life, everybody will see her as transgender instead of seeing her as the beautiful woman she is.

February 6, 2014 at 8:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Grrrtruth

EXACTLY!

February 6, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Julia Malloy

It's kind of a vicious catch 22 really. Issue such as unemployment, hate crime, and other aspects of almost universal discrimination against transgender people need to be discussed. And you can't discuss those stories without acknowledging that people are transgender. But then if you acknowledge being transgender, people want to talk about your past, your genitals, etc. and won't discuss the real issues. So what is one to do?

I'm extremely media shy. But I'd go on Piers Morgan if he wanted to discuss transgender unemployment. But I wouldn't answer any questions about genitals, surgery, or other stupid things that people get fixated on.

February 6, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

Why, of course she could, and most righteously would, refer herself as a transgender as well as a woman - they are two separate labels.

Transgender by definition is an umbrella term which defines any person who does not confine to basic gender norms/rules - such as this case with Mock who identifies as a woman when being born with a penis.

Transgender isn't a gender, it is a term to declare that you aren't Cisgendered. Saying that 'she shouldn't say that she's transgender if she wants to be seen as a woman' is ridiculous, as 1. That would erase her entire struggle of being trans to others (as well as herself)
        2. That would be lying.

She is a woman, but she has gone through a lot to be able to accept herself as one. Denying her trans-status would just be like ereasing her struggle–everything she has gone through to be able to accept herself as a woman wouldn't be considered by others, nor herself

February 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meli

Daniel, nobody is denying she went thru a lot to be able to be the woman she is, but if she wants to be respected as a woman and people not to think about her any other way she should not disclosed the fact that she is transgender.

If she shares that information with the whole world she should expect people asking her about her past life as well as the obstacles she went thru to be able to be where she is.

Even more, people will see her as a person who was not physically a woman her whole life (I am not denying the fact that internally she has always been a woman).

If she wants people to see her as the woman she is so stop sharing your past life, by sharing her past experience she has to understand that people will ask her about "when she was a boy" as well as guys not seeing her as the woman she expect to be seen.

February 6, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • kara

exactly! for someone who wants to be open about her experiences enough to write a book and be public she sure is defensive. She literally didn't answer any questions about why she was actually upset clearly. She kept pretending she didn't attack him and she didn't ever actually say why she took it so personally enough to bash him. Poor guy had no idea what the hell he said and she did nothing to help him understand.

February 6, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sue Z

Exactly....right on. She should be in therapy for her mental condition. She now needs Dr. Drew!! She could not shut up and listen to someone who was on her side and supportive of her. She has huge NEEDS, so it appears. She wants recognition now because she is a beautiful girl. She was a male at birth physically and up until 18. She was offended by being called a boy? OMG, Piers did nothing wrong here. She was a male with a male genitalia. Then she is offended because in actuality she is asking people to see her soul...maybe some day we will...so until then, she has deep feelings that sometimes need to be held closer to our own hearts. She feels she corrected a wrong and so good for her in that she could afford it also. If she is finding it offensive, then don't ask, don't tell, and least of all go public. Plus, she tweeted the F-word...not to impressed with a woman cursing...just say'in.

February 7, 2014 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Aberkguy

I think JM needs a new publicist. If this was her way to sell more books, or to cover or to save face with the Trans community, it was done poorly. I had plan to get the book following the first interview I saw, but now I'll wait for the library to get it. It made her look petty, and her community too. She hardly looked scared or uncomfortable in that interview, notably different than the 2nd. So if someone wants to educate then use them to educate. Five days AFTER the interview for a grown women all of a sudden be offended. Spare me the fake drama. Piers was as polite and professional as could be in both interviews. She did no one a favor with those tweets, what are you 13? And since when did we not get to talk about Gay and transgender rights together. I remember the fight to get T added to LBGT(back when it was GLBT). She really doesn't want the support of the rest of the LGBT community? Cause that is how it sounded. ANNOYED by this women. And was previously impressed.

February 6, 2014 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue Z

Excuse me, but she kept interrupting Piers when he was asking her a valid question. I found him to be highly respectful of her and she was horrible. She had no justification in her tweets, as far as I was concerned. To give an interview and then slam him because she did not have any decency to tell him to his face, and then used the F-word in her tweet....shows such lack of respect. You want respect, give it back. She never shut up and rattled on and on and really did not even answer his question of what was so disrespectful. I did not get it either. I understand her deep inner soul and her intense feeling of trying to make people understand, yet she is right that if you are not the same, how can you understand. He was trying to understand her intense anger and what he did wrong, as was I. She is using her beauty...heaven help her anger if she were not so pretty, so she really cannot speak for all transgenders.

February 7, 2014 at 6:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. A. G.

Piers, you do NOT get to dictate what is and is not offensive to the LGBTQ community – and specifically, what is or is not offensive to trans women. You are not a trans woman, you have never and will never experience what it's like to be us, and insinuating that you know best, or should have a say in what we feel or how we express ourselves, is ludicrous and shameful. You have widely discredited yourself to the trans community, and we certainly will not be forgetting these utterly disparaging comments you've made.

February 6, 2014 at 12:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mark

I find it utterly ridiculous that while Piers Morgan was trying to give the LGBTQ community a oppurtunity through Ms. Mock to promote her book and speak of her emerging into the wonderful, beautiful and intelligent woman she is now. Turned into a three ring circus of hair splitting accusations of what he is able to do and not able to do is ludacris. Instead of helping the community further its cause, she and others chose to ridicule him. Do any of you understand that a large portion af his audience is made up of people in the middle of the country that don't have any idea what the LGBTQ community is? When given a platform and the oppurtunity to help people understand more and educate them, Piers Morgan was made to be a villian and was speaking from the perspective on what was already out there. He has discredited himself? I think not look in the mirror, Janet mock did just that mocked herself and was overly playing a goodinterview from the night before.

February 6, 2014 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • A. G.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about, Mark.

Yes, it is important to get trans women on mass media to explain who they are as a community and how to be inclusive. Piers Morgan did not allow her to do that. Continuously interrupting, continuously speaking over her and for her, Piers did not allow Janet to state her case. The point is: nobody gets to define who you are, YOU get to define who you are, especially when you are a person of minority status. A straight person does not get to say how a gay person gets to live their life or express themselves, or how to say who they are as a person. A cisgender person does not get to speak for a trans person. A white person does not get to speak for a black person. If you are not part of these groups, then you don't experience what we go through, and you cannot relate. If you want to educate people, then let people who know what they're talking about educate people. Piers has no idea what he's talking about.

February 6, 2014 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
      • T-Lo

COMPLETELY AGREE, MARK. I watched the original interview with my partner last night, continuously commenting on how mature, articulate and cool this lady appeared to be. Really impressed with her quick and well-spoken replies as well as the fact that Piers Morgan was obviously in her corner, and very obviously wanting to give her a platform to promote her story (book). I was then COMPLETELY freaked out and so DISAPPOINTED that she suddenly turned this into a bizarre, abusive rant on Twitter. She didn't even seem like the kind of person that uses the "F" word so my family and I were just stunned. Glad she spoke out I guess, lest we have thought she was this amazing and mature person that came out on TV. I guess selling a book is selling a book, no matter how you stir up an audience. My partner and I completely side with Piers on this one.

February 6, 2014 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

And who are you to judges the rights of any free thinking individual? Bloody fascist gay twit.

February 6, 2014 at 7:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Coraline

A.G., YOU do NOT get to dictate what is and is not offensive to the LGBTQ community. As a member of said community (I'm a lesbian), I think Janet Mock is ridiculous. Mr. Morgan's interview with Mock offended me not in the least. Stop appointing yourself as spokesperson for an entire group, many of whom disagree with you.

February 6, 2014 at 10:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Julia Malloy

Coraline's comment highlights something that doesn't often get much attention paid to it: in the LGBT community, the LGB and the T have very different perspectives and really are not part of the same community at all. The issues are totally different and LGB group is often not inclusive of or reflective of T people. Indeed, LGB people tend to be just as ignorant and lacking of understanding towards transgender people as anyone else. So this means . . . .

Coraline: you do NOT get to decide what is offensive to transgender people. As a member of that community (I'm a transwoman) I found Piers Morgan's interview of Janet Mock to be juvenile, immature, inappropriate, and downright appalling. I also find you, as a lesbian, presuming to speak for transgender people to be very inappropriate and downright bizarre.

February 6, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meli

Julia, I do not see anything wrong with Piers interview.

I have a quick question, when you go out do you tell everybody that you are a transgender woman? I think the answer is no. The reason is, you want people to see you as what you really are – a woman.

Once you open the fact that you are a transgender woman then you have to be open to the bizarre questions that will come with it.

If you want people to see you as a woman then just act like a normal woman, nobody needs to know about your past life or experiences.

February 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Coraline

Julia, re-read my comment. And then again, slowly. I was NOT deciding what is offensive to transgender people, I was responding to A.G., who was most definitely including all LGBTQ people in his/her opinion. Had A.G. spoken simply for him or herself, I wouldn't have bothered to comment. I find your defensiveness downright bizarre, but I'm sure you'll claim oppression gives you the right. Whatever. Buh-bye.

February 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Julia Malloy

Meli, I'm an activist. So going out and telling people that I'm a transgender person is basically my job. I also explain to them that the most important thing for them to know about me being a transgender person is the part about me being a person. People should treat me the same as any other person. When they ask me questions like what are my genitals like, about sugeries I may have had, or where do I go to the bathroom, etc., I respond by asking them the exact same question. This generally causes them to realize that asking the question was inappropriate. After all, no one normally asks another person about their private parts. So why should a person who happens to be transgender any different? That is basically what was wrong with Piers Morgans interview. He wasn't interested in Janet Mock, human being. His interest was only in Janet Mock, story of strange gender stuff.

Coralline, you said what you said. I responded. You can't now revise your remarks after the fact. But if you want to read things carefully, you might take notice of A.G.'s use of the word "we" which suggests his or her membership in the LGBTQ "community."

February 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lawrence

Hey Julia. Where do you get off saying what you say?! Seriously, we are humans first and whatever we like to call ourselves second. I am therefore a human first and a gay male second. One of the great things about being human is that our species, and let me say that a second time so it sinks in, "our species", had become what it has become today by being inquisitive and asking questions. You might say: oh, but you are a gay male and therefore have the benefit of cisgender privilege. Again I ask you, where the hell do you get off saying such things? You think your group is the only one who has to face hate crimes? I am sorry hun, but gays are in the same boat as you. And you know what, maybe that is why we all banded together at one point as LGB and T, because in the end we all were, at a root, facing similar backlash for who we are. Your community's decision to throw around cisgender privilege is very off putting. I as a gay man have been asked questions about my penis as you as a trans have been asked about your genitalia. Why? Because the human race is naturally inquisitive and wants to understand what is new information to it. And if the person asking that question really is asking the question to gain an understanding, why judge them for being anything but human? I suck it up and answer. And to be honest, hun, it really doesn't take much to suck it up. If you are so much of a prude as to not be able to handle those situations, that is your problem; you should not advocate for your community if you don't realize 90 – 97% do not know what to ask or say to you. If you find such questions traumatizing maybe it is you who had a problem accepting yourself. Because, hun, if you were proud, you would answer with a smile on my face, "yes, I had a doctor alter my genitalia to reflect who I am on the inside and I have no regrets. It is truly a blessing to have what I feel on the inside reflect on the outside!" And leave it at that. If you want people to accept you, you have to accept them first, hun. It is called compromise and we all have to do it to eventually move forward. I am sorry if I am being harsh, but consider it tough love. Our movement would not have made its strides unless we finally stopped being offended by curious people and just presented ourselves as who we are. Grown people who can handle a simple question.

March 9, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meli

AG, Janet decided to open her past life to the whole world by writing a book about her transgender experience. Janet is a beautiful woman and she could easily leave like a woman without any problems.

By opening her transgender life now she has to learn to live with people knowing about her past life, as well as people asking questions about it.

Piers was more than supportive throughout the whole interview, and I do not really see any wrongdoing from him.

February 6, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kara

Where did you get that he was trying to dictate what is offensive, he was totally confused and trying to understand what was offensive. He literally just kept asking what happened tat got her upset and why it was offensive and she never answered him. she kept talking about past experiences and how no one understands but didn't actually answer and help him to get why she was angry. He wasn't trying to dictate what she was offended by but why did that offend her and why she didn't say anything while on the show. lol she didntr say you shouldn't be offended but what was so offensive because on the show he said all those things and she never corrected him.

February 6, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Chris

Janet kept mentioning she wanted this to be a learning experience ... but instead, because of pride and emotion, a powerful platform to express transgender issues has likely been lost, and the american public likely missed her whole message of hardship the community faces. It's pretty sad all the way around.

February 6, 2014 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tj0515

I watched both interviews. In this first interview I was intrigued by Janet's story. It kept me captivated and gave me insight into the struggles of those with gender issues. I was surprised that there seems to be a twitter storm over what I thought was a very insightful interview. I was also surprised that Janet was not happy with the direction the interview took. She was engaging and, I felt honest in her responses and reactions. I perceived Piers as being very supportive and wanting to draw attention and support to those people with the same struggle. When I turned on the TV this evening, I at first thought they were rebroadcasting the interview. I am shocked that it was viewed in a negative light by Ms. Mock and the transgender community. I haven't seen the twitter storm or anything that was tweeted by Pierce or Ms. Mock so I can only respond to what I watched in the interview itself. This whole discussion that is taking place tonight and whatever was said back and forth on twitter IS creating negativity and over-shadowing what I think the overall message should be. That we show compassion and understanding to those struggling with gender issues and that we all embrace our individuality.

February 6, 2014 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

My family and I agree with you ENTIRELY on your comments, TjO515. Thanks for turning a positive energy into a negative one for the world and all of our kids to see over Twitter, JM. Nice use of language too, very lady like. :(

February 6, 2014 at 1:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mary

Janet Mock made a MOCKERY out of her so called desire to educate and advocate. Instead SHE was "infotainment" as she had accused Piers of. IF SHE WAS SINCERE, and not looking for a platform to make herself famous and sell books, then she would WELCOME the discussion, permit all questions, and thereby allow the awkwardness that comes along with dealing with the whole topic to SLOWLY fade. The fact that she does not want Transgender to be in the same breath as Gay marriage etc just shows that she is just looking for ANY excuse to react and get more camera time.

February 6, 2014 at 1:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • what3ever

Christine Jorgensen disavowed the women's movement, too. As a feminist, I can't see Janet Mock doing anything for women. This is self-promotion, nothing more.

February 6, 2014 at 8:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin

How could Janet not "mock" her encounter in some way, just as how can Mr. Morgan not unintentionally "pierce" his guests. Further, Piers and Janet come from different world views. Piers is a "9" (per life path # in a numerological context) and can seem unconditionally accepting, but also come off as all-knowing, while Janet is "7" and so can be a keen observer but also appear cold, aloof, and prone to communication breakdowns, as she demonstrated here. This numerological context might seem odd to some, but it seems to offer useful info, and Piers might consider having Glynis McCants on his guest panel some time.

February 6, 2014 at 10:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • kara

lol she didn't appear cold or observant. Mockery is an obvious sign of arrogance and she was clearly emotional and dismissive. He was angry and preparedly asked why she didn't say anything to him is she was offended and wanted to sincerely understand why it was offensive. BTW I CANT STAND MORGAN but i felt bad that he was really genuinely upset that he had hurt her. She was the equivalent of a bully.

February 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Piers Morgan Fan

Very sad but Piers to fair. I dont think you should have been surprised by the reaction you got. You've got enough experience to know what you were getting into. Next time, dont say you're shocked or act upset. In anycase, just pray and rest. Good luck!

February 6, 2014 at 2:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Lilian Tan

He has a bad habit of interrupting his guests, but I have new respect for Piers Morgan. In his second interview with Janet Mock, he kept his cool, was polite and asked the right questions, to which she did not respond satisfactorily. The exchange confirmed what I suspected – JM orchestrated the 'fake controversy' on Twitter to get publicity for her book. What Mock didn't count on was the privileged liberal white male refusing to shrug off her unfair allegations and fighting back. The marginalised minority may think they deserve more slack and understanding for their special situation, but they still need to conduct themselves with integrity. That means being fair. Janet Mock is a slick and stunning poster person for transgenders, but she lost serious points for what she did.

February 6, 2014 at 2:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. counosboy

Piers, in that second interview, YOU OWNED HER!! I cannot believe how disrespectful and two faced Janet Mock is in these interviews. Talk about giving her cause a bad name!

February 6, 2014 at 2:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. usa12

Unfortunately, instead of allowing this opportunity to expose the uneducated to the plight of transgender people, Janet distracted the viewer from the core of her message. This interview would have been most effective if Janet had used this opportunity to benefit those in her community suffering from alienation and rejection. It is well known that the LGBT community experiences frequent discrimination. In fact, most media coverage of such issues has its basis in discrimination and the protesting of such discrimination. When the group oppressed bites the hand feeding them, the onlooker then begins to question if they should take action themselves. When a true supporter, one who has taken the initiative to promote equality for the LGBT community, uses diction that is unknowingly offensive to those outside of the community and is harassed for doing so, what is the uneducated individual to do? Should they jump to support a cause with fear that they may make a mistake in their support? Janet could have handled this much differently but instead, however unintentionally, made this a case of reverse discrimination. Instead of clarifying in a polite way that Piers wasn't using proper diction, he was vilified. Instead of doing something beneficial towards the goal of equality and awareness, she has done something very detrimental.

February 6, 2014 at 2:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mike Dinham

Well,never a big fan of Piers Morgan but what a pretentious woman Janet Mock is. He/she was not born a boy?? What is that all about? This is why all transgender people get a bad responce when they have someone like Janet Mock as a spokesperson. Uneducated and ignorant! Only interested in her views and her story.Say`s she lives of Beyonce? Janet Mock will need a very long ladder to even reach Beyonce half way. She also says the book is for ALL transgender people, so is she donating the proceeds of this book to help these people? I doubt it. No more air time for this woman!!

February 6, 2014 at 7:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Janet Needs to Man Up

She is being overly picky and touchy about the interview. Sadly she turned her great interview into a farce. Sad that she is such a nitpicker that she blows up over Piers saying she used to be a boy. Grow up woman.

February 6, 2014 at 7:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Alex

Why would any white man want to be a liberal. Spending my life walking on eggshells in order to avoid "offending" blacks or gays or Muslims, ETC, is cultural suicide. Liberals are truly mental.

February 6, 2014 at 7:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • subzero05

It comes down to being respectful, regardless of political views. So you sound silly(if not worse) here. Where would the world be with your mindset throughout history

However this takes the cake. Large difference between respect & just flat out delusions

February 8, 2014 at 1:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. what3ever

Morgan didn't have anything other than the Marie Claire article and Mock's book to go by in prepping for this interview. Yet Mock says she took 3 yrs to write her book and gave the MC interview 2 yrs ago. I suppose she had plenty of time to rearrange her thoughts, but for her to attack someone who says he's on her side, is to invite real questions about her motives for appearing on his show.

February 6, 2014 at 8:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. watchingfromCanada

Watched last night with an open-mind, and found Ms Mock to be quite close-minded... After going on for some time, she did not even listen to Piers' explanations before going off with her personal definitions of herself, which she has every right to have, but assumes others should also have. I found her very tiring to listen to, and regardless of her gender and her past struggles, she struck me as just not a nice person.

February 6, 2014 at 9:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. watchingfromCanada

Watched last night with an open-mind, and found Ms Mock to be quite close-minded... After going on for some time, she did not even listen to Piers' explanations before going off with her personal definitions of herself, which she has every right to have, but assumes others should also have. I found her wellspoken, but very tiring to listen to, and regardless of her gender and her past struggles, she struck me as just not a nice person.

February 6, 2014 at 9:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jason

Transgender or not, Janet Mock has shown herself to be a total B#$%. As a physician I say with confidence that she exhibits a number of traits that is typical for someone with borderline personality. Congrats Janet, now your transformation is complete. Work a little harder and bleach your hair and you just might become Miley Cyrus.

February 6, 2014 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Diane

FYI...http://www.autostraddle.com/and-i-do-mean-all-my-life-a-trans-coming-out-letter-160349/
    Why not educate yourself.
    Maybe your research into this subject was a little lax.

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. immeuru7

I'm with Piers on this one. He was nothing but gracious and supportive. He was down for the cause – he wanted to bring to light the need to embrace all and allow people dignity and respect. For Mock to take the totality of the interview and focus on this one aspect (I wasn't a boy – hello, the point was you were born with male genitalia) to the exclusion of all the good indicates the degree of woundedness Mock is representing in taking this degree of offense. Yes, it is relevant to discuss gender issues as a spectrum. But, there was nothing "sensationalistic" in Piers' presentation. I find it unfortunate that, reacting as Mock and others on Twitter did, hurts the cause. I do have compassion in that one can only imagine the hurt and pain of being the recipient of the degree of prejudice and ignorance that transgenders must endure. Still, to demonize those who seek to understand and heal only creates harm. Stop projecting on those who do wish to support.

February 6, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. sandygiless

Totally disgusted with Janet Mock and the way she turned what appeared to be a good interview into a bad interview with Piers.
    I had originally planned on picking up her book, but after the second interview and following her remarks on Twitter, I am so glad I did not buy it and will not buy it in the future. I also feel she did an injustice to the LGBTQ+ community with her remarks. If this is her way of selling her book , one must wonder about her motives in what she did and what type of person she truly is. Good luck Janet Mock, I wonder how many other prime interviews you will be doing in the near future.

February 6, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • fallinlovewithyourbodynow

I feel the same way. I was going to buy her book and now I'm not. Her reaction and the way she handled it...dropping the f bomb at Piers on Twitter (cowardly)...was inappropriate and over the top for what his purported "crime" was. It's a shame really.

February 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. dave

After watching Janet Mock with Piers last night and reading comments, i realize that no rational person can ever reason with these people. It's my way or the hiway. Your opinion doesn't count because you don't understand me. JMock was all over the place, diverting questions not answering directly. She made no sense at all and just to fill space, JM would start to Psychobabble. When someone flips you a bone (no pun intended), you should not throw it away (oh, i guess she did do that).

February 6, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Sandy

As a trans woman, I'm quite disappointed with Ms. Mock's actions and behavior toward Piers. He did an outstanding interview, and was obviously supportive. C'mon Janet, you are a big girl. You established a career on being an out Trans woman. You wrote a book about it. But if you can't take the heat from a supportive interviewer, what are you going to do when you get a tough interview? I was going to read her book, but now, I'm not so sure.

February 6, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Gregory

I think Piers got it wrong with this. It only takes a second to read the many transphobic comments in support of Piers to understand that Piers' point of view is generating intolerance. Feeling like you are one gender but in the body of the other gender is something that a very select few can understand. The rest of us need to listen very hard to what they're saying. Piers had the opportunity to create a thoughtful, philosophical discussion but instead reacted defensively and contributed to the sensationalism that he was supposedly condemning.

February 6, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. makheru

perhaps this will help:

February 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Tracey

I was very disappointed at a missed opportunity. Pier's line of questioning was right out of Maury Povich show circa 1980's and frankly was embarrassing to both himself and his guest. In 2014 I would have hoped we have moved passed focus on the surgery/physical appearance/disclosure and would finally be ready to discuss the real challenges and issues facing transgender individuals. His comments about Mock being very pretty and obviously should have been a woman (implying that a less attractive tg shouldn't be a woman?), his question about when she revealed her history to her boyfriend "did he run a mile away?" and the captions on the screen were all demeaning and offensive. But I truly don't think they were meant maliciously, it was his bumbling attempt to be complementary and supportive. Unfortunately he is ill informed about the tg perspective and issues. This could have been an opportunity to educate him and the audience and focus the conversation on those topics Ms. Mock came on to discuss. I admire Ms Mock tremendously for putting herself out there and representing our community, but she readily admitted being scared on her first major national interview show and returning to face an aggravated, aggressive Morgan, probably didn't handle the questions the way she would have liked. Her tweets about Morgan were out of line and I can understand his confusion and irritation. I hope they can continue their conversation, and she now understands she must begin the conversation with Gender 101.

February 6, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Beverly

I thought Piers gave a very fair and informative interview with Ms. Mock. If she did not want her story out, then why did she do the interview in the first place. You cannot have it both ways. Yes, she was born a male child and changed her gender with surgery.

February 6, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. eaststar

Watched both interviews. Janet Mock needs to gt over herself and not have such a massive chip on her shoulder. This sort of nonsensical indignation and self-righteous, self-proclaimed "fierceness" is great for drama but does her and her community no favours. You just alienate people who would otherwise support you, bit because you are transgender but because you are obnoxious, conceited and sanctimonious.

February 6, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Aaron Isaiah

BOY what a dick

February 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. asaki

Did'nt watch the first interview not even going to bother clearly she's on a level, she says she was born a baby neither male or female oopps!!!! and she dose'nt need advice ooopppppses!!!!! there's nothing she can do to change the fact that she was born a boy she can block it out of her mind which is okay for her, but she cannot criticise and abuse other people for knowing what they know, you are either be born a boy or a girl what does she mean 'i was born a baby'? where's she from?

February 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sweetie

Strangely enough I viewed the segment without volume at a gym and above Janet's head was the banner "Was a boy until 18". I didn't understand her outrage, but when I kept thinking of that banner above her head (that she may have not known about), I could then justly understand her being irate. I think what the LBGT community is seeking is asking news media to stop the "CIRCUS" environment that puts banners on members of the community as if they are side shows at a circus to increase revenue and ratings. What I heard clearly from Janet is that she wanted her book to be taken seriously for the amount of effort she has put into it. She wants to be a spokeswoman for the transgender community and she wants to bring a voice to their issues. She is simply trying to set the record straight and prevent the continuation of the circus side shows.

February 6, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Sarah

Step back from the issue for a second and look at this from the public relations and marketing angle, as Piers probably did. Janet was given a chance to promote her book in prime time with a major news network. It's a controversial subject, but the host supports her and gives her the opportunity to talk openly about her experiences. Both sides appear professional, it's an interesting subject, and all appears to have gone well.

Then the next day, the author lashes out at the host, and accuses him of insulting language, although she could have corrected him and turned the incident into a teachable moment.

So this is what happens when she talks with supporters? What does she do when an interview is more contentious and the host is looking for ways to bring her down? The media are not going to beat down doors to give free publicity to people who are just looking for a fight. There are thousands of people begging for the chance to tell their story on national TV. TV hosts interview multiple people in each show; they don't have the luxury of reading every book. Their assistants provide them with summarized background so they can ask questions.

If you are looking for free publicity, you need to play the game. Doesn't matter what your topic is...you don't change minds by attacking the people whose job is to ask you questions. Act like an adult, and realize you are not the only cause on the planet.

February 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Dorothy Bellion

I was very disappointed in Piers. He kept trying to tell her story for her, instead of letting her tell her own story. And when the trans community called him on it, he got all huffy and attacked her, and allowed a "panel" to attack her.

February 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Rick Seno

As a gay, white, male I was attacked by my own "community" for simply sending a tweet of support to Piers Morgan. My thoughts on Janet Mock and #LGBT after this event. http://youtu.be/3zBUY4H7gEc

February 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ALICIA

im lgbt as well..( female androg lesbian) as thats pretty harsh..
      I support Pierce as well

February 7, 2014 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. katie

I think you see the problem at this point with her. Its about HER. Piers was nothing but supportive of her and for that he gets bashed...by HER. Its more of an attention getting act than anything. Nothing he or anyone says will please her. Its a self centered thing, the way she lives her life. If you agree with her, SHE isnt pleased. If you disagree she isnt. What would please HER, the center of her own universe?

February 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Name*beth

Janet mock claiming to be transgender might be a hoax. Her Maria Claire article is not believable. read the atyicle carefully . I suspect she is not Trans but a genetic female posing as Trans .

February 7, 2014 at 4:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Meli

Like i said several times before, if you are a trans woman and you want people to see you as a woman do not tell them about your past, once you start talking about that people will focus on your past and will not see you as a woman anymore.

I understand there are trans activist, and that they want to educate other people, and some of that education includes talking about your past life, your genitals, etc. You can't expect people not to ask about that.

In few words, if your transaction is done and you are already a woman, just be happy, act like one, and do not share you were (physically) somebody else before.

February 7, 2014 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • starbeth

Meli, I mostly agree with you. But public activists like Janet are trying to make it better for the non-activists. They're basically sacrificing their anonymity to help others. Which means, however, that she doesn't get to demand that she be treated like a regular transperson. She chose to be a public figure, and she needs to accept that it won't always be comfortable. But her public criticism of Piers after he'd been nothing but civil was just wrong. She should have spoken to him personally. During a break, if not during the show. If he's told that something is a sore spot, he isn't just going to poke at it for the ratings.

February 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. ALICIA

its true Janet was born a male .
    Why do we have to kiss their ass & tip toe around that. If people are being nice enough to call them female. How dare them make all this fight and throw it in our faces, when other people violently bash them. Pierce Morgan and others try to show understanding and support or love to these people and all they do is get crazier and crazier. History isnt re written because a guy got surgeries & a good hair weave!. There is alot of peole who have some really mean things to say about Trans.. Pierce is understanding & I think Janet was confrontational. The whole tantrum was uncalled for. she is making LGBT look bad by being a catty menace. We know you were born & raised as male. No one believes you were all female from youth up to know & we accept what you did. Its ridiculous to try and force these crazy views on the public because you have this disorder of feeling you were supposed to be a female

February 7, 2014 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • lindy

Exactly right. He was born male and is still male. I'm offended by men who do this make-up, carcinogenic drugs, surgery adoption of a female stereotype, and demand we call them women. They aren't.

To Marc in the panel video: How would you respond if I smeared black make-up on my face, got an Afro, insisted I was Black, and demanded you accept me as that? I'll also adopt the stereotypes in my walk, my manner of speaking and my dress. I'll adopt the stereotypes and tell you I'm empowered to be a P**p. You know what I mean. If you don't accept this I'm going to call you racist.

February 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. seth

Hey Piers she was right, but thank you so much for having that conversation. you have always been one of my favorite hosts. but that showed you were human and you were not trying to judge people for things that they cannot change. A lot of time we don't know when we say something that's offensive until those hurt let us know. Your interview was awesome!!!!

February 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Charlie Potatoes

NEWS FLASH
    Anderson Pooper announces that he is a she,transgendered and demands that her time
    ob CNN be restored or else.

February 7, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Dr. Pat Moore

Just like most advocates, Ms. Mock isn't interested in conversation. She is interested in suppression of curiosity, and not allowing others to ask perfectly reasonable questions.

After seeing Ms. Mock, I will not advocate for her approach, since that would be encouraging animosity among the population who truly would like to understand.

Ms. Mock is a conversation killer, not someone who should be representing the transgender issue.

Piers Morgan attempted to help her, but she simply is terribly in need of counseling in terms of how to win over people to her point of view.

February 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. John

A friend posted and article about this with an interesting point of view about this http://www.thexygeneration.com/xy-lifestyle/piers-morgan-vs-janet-mock-sorry-but-you-were-a-boy/.

February 9, 2014 at 1:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Brad

Piers,
    I watched your interview with Janet Mock and my point of view was you were fair with your questions about her transition from being born a male "baby" to becoming the beautiful women she is in this present day. Having a few friends who are transgender and talking about the tough road to travel, I understand some of her feelings about not wanting to be associated with once having male genitals, or being anything other than where she is now in here life.
    The fact that she wrote a book about her journey expressing where she came from opens up the conversation about the struggles that transgender, gay lesbian people have faced. Thank you for being brave enough to have colorful vibrant people such as Janet Mock on your show.
    The Stonewall riots that she refer's to (she old enough to remember?) in the 'struggles since the 60's was more than just trans people, it was gay, drag queens, lesbians standing up against the police cracking down on a safe place where all people were welcome without fear. To do this you must face who you were/are to move forward with education that the world is full of many different people.
    She seems to fear her past by saying one thing; look at me now, but then wants to educate people on where she came from having been born in a body she didn't recognize as her own. If she really wanted to be the exotic women she is without some scrutiny, she could have easily not written the book.

February 9, 2014 at 11:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Daniella carter

Hi my name is Daniella Carter. I'm a trans youth of color living here in NYC. I'm am an ambassador of the trans woman of color collective of the greater NYC area.
    I have a commitment to activism in social and gender justice in New York City. I live my life as an unapologetic , resilient and altruistic young trans youth leader , who constantly taking the initiative to reach out and ask for guidance in furthering my leadership skills as an activist for LGBT youth. There is determination and vision in me. Thru these initiatives I have now formed relationships with great pioneers and public figures of the trans community . I don't want this platform for fame but only to bring awareness to the neglected often stigmatized youth in my community. I believe as a youth trans leader there is visibility with the older generation of trans woman. When will we have youth visibility presents and empowering there peers? I'm not looking for fame just looking for allies who's willing to hold my hand in coming closer to bringing unity to the trans youth. In my community who's often marginalized if not by age but by race. I ask that you please give me a chance to at least get guidance. If not the chance to be speak On the troubling issues . I humbly ask when The next trans conversation happening . I can show youth that we are leaders. We are more than oppression and stigma. To remember we are the future and we must come together not to be divided. I'm willing to share my experiences as a youth of trans experience living here in NYC. Please I hope you can help having a youth presents in media during the time of urgency for Islan Nettle case . It would be breaking barriers for trans youth to see a trans youth of color out there working hard in regard to bring visibility to our generation .My determination not to fall between the margins of our society is what has led me to fight injustice through my education, internships at LGBT organizations, and my role in the Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC). Thats what I would love to share with other trans youth. Gain their support in building trans youth social justice movements.
    P.s

Please if you can help you can contact me with listed information below thank you. Im open to all allies Daniella Carter

February 10, 2014 at 7:53 am | Report abuse | Reply