Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 5th, 2014

Tonight at 9: Author Janet Mock returns for a live interview

Coming up this evening at 9 p.m., Piers Morgan welcomes back author Janet Mock for a live, primetime conversation.

Following Tuesday evening's interview, both Morgan and Mock have taken to social media as they mutually agree a sequel is in order:

If you missed the first conversation between the host and author, or if you'd simply like to watch it once more, it's available here. And, for Wednesday's full interview, please tune in to CNN at 9 p.m.
-–
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. Lynnea Urania Stuart

While I don't have television, I have been following the banter on Twitter. Good God, I hope you people can be civil, especially you, Piers. No, I don't buy the idea that you are a professional troll as some in Twitter are now claiming. And no, Piers, I don't believe you are a victim of "cis-phobia" either. Let's just get the real facts out there. Janet Mock is one of today's most visible representatives of transpeople and is articulate enough. She should be respected for the woman she really is... and she is in fact a woman regarless of what many religionists try to claim.

February 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Annalisa

What a disappointment. Thought Janet Mock was an impressive and amazing person-seemed put together, intelligent and reasonable-after the first interview. To hear what has transpired since the previous interview convinces me that she really is just as messed up as so many others and frankly the second interview showed who and what she really is and represents.

February 5, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Cheri Harris

You go Pierce. I came away with a lot of respect for Ms. Mock after your first interview with her. After seeing her "F" tweet and her interview this evening it is clear she is well spoken and articulate yet as some serious issues and has done a disservice to "her" community.

February 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. May Foo

I am so sorry that Piers is getting an earful from Janet Mock whom he opened up the stage for.

February 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ifyoureachick

I support Mr. Morgan 100% on this issue. Ms. Mock is not representing herself well!

February 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Faythe

For once I agree with Piers. Ms Mock is a B IMO

February 6, 2014 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Alix

It does not appear that Janet Mock is deserving of Piers Morgan's support. She seems exceptionally difficult, and appears to want to try and make issues where there are none. She had an opportunity to tell her story and advance her community's agenda, and she turned it into a chance to bash Piers. I doubt it will garner much support of the trans community from those outside the community. If that was Ms Mock's intention, then well done. Otherwise she blew it.

February 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Stanley

Piers I watched the interview and think you did a great interview with Janet Mock. I didn't see any disrespect for who she was or is. You showed the most respect the GLBT community. And as a gay man I thank you for that. I was so impressed by her and the interview that I was going to buy her book, but after all this drama I have 2nd thoughts. I will be leaving it on the shelf. I would not buy a book from someone that sends out information from people that are so misinformed. He didn't disrespect you. Yes you were a boy prior to a woman. Yes you are a woman now. Grow up and be happy someone wants to honor who you are and excepts you for you. It's tough being black and gay and you have the added issue of being transgender.

February 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gracie

Piers you were great tonight, I thought you were gracious, late night and tonight. I don't believe you offended her at all, I think she's a stuck up bitc- The fact is you were doing a interview with her, with questions, comments, and answers from Janet who was born a boy and was not born a transgender. She didn't seem offended at all when she was being interviewed. "Hence" she's just another phony trying to make money on a book she wrote.

February 5, 2014 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gary

AMEN Stanley!

February 5, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. struf

Go Piers! Not sure what she is complaining about... I mean you supported her believes, and gave her a platform, to advocate her believes. I agree that Piers might have said something that later she thought of as offensive, but to attach piers is just wrong in this case...just saying.

February 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rock

Janet used the word transgenered many many times...If she believed she was a female from birth...why does she refer to herself as transgenered...the word it self means changing ones gender, physically...how can she be offended about being called a boy when she describes herself as transgenered? Then her book is just a book is nothing more than a story of a girl that grew up into a woman....

February 5, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kevin

That was pathetic – Piers totally lost his cool and couldn't handle this complicated issue. Piers ... Just accept the fact that the details of this discussion keep evolving and there are no precise answers to all of your questions. You could have risen to the occassion and accepted that something you said offended her ... period – regardless of whether or not she processed it on your show at the time. Instead you spent the whole time trying to prove so hard that you are "accepting" of everyone. ...and she's right – gay rights are not trans rights and it must be infuriating to constantly hear that when trans people are just beginning their fight. Gay and lesbians have made far more strides in the last few years that do not necessarily trickle down to the trans community. As a white, straight man in this world you need to take more responsibilty and engage in this conversation – and you obviously need to dig deeper for that empathy. She handled the whole thing with class and style and all you could do was try and teach her some kind of lesson at the end of your interview about how she shouldn't cross you. Buck up.

February 5, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gary

Kevin, really? Did you watch the interview? He couldn't have been any more supportive. Your ignorance is dripping on this blog!

February 5, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katherine

Well said, Kevin. Given the magnitude of Piers' power in having an empowered/enfranchised voice, his own show/platform, and given that Janet Mock was on Piers' turf/domain, I feel Piers was wantonly and counter-productively aggressive in his demand for an absolving explanation from Janet for her tweeted critiques. Janet Mock's story deals with very personal, intimate yet urgent matters. Piers, "the advocate," needed to be more sensitive and open, not overly focused on defending himself. Janet Mock is an amazing voice who should be invited back again.

February 13, 2014 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. mimi

how dare this person switch this way, wow what a dangerous unpredictable person, we are all supposed to be mind readers that she was born a baby not a boy ??? give me a break your gender at birth is your gender regardless of what you think it is. what she did to pierce is vengeful hateful & will definitely be regretful in her pursuit of whatever she seems to be pursuing really from all of this. VILE WOMAN !

February 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Steven

Thank you, Piers Morgan. You put your thoughts, ideas, and knowledge out there. You learn, grow, and help others understand. I enjoy your shows, interviews, and learn about people, issues, and policies.
    Today, I support you. Today, Janet Mock appeared hostile to you. Today, I hope you will continue supporting LGBT people.

February 5, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandra

Tonight Pier's gets Kudos, he was thoughtful, kind and trying extremely hard to understand. I cannot say I'm a supporter, but tonight he was a gentleman. Bravo Pier's, you did exactly what you were suppose to. Janet Mock has a bit of a sore spot about it. She better get use to it, she will hear it again.

February 5, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Ina

Poor Piers..this person needs to get with Dr. Phil...she obviously have unresolved, underlying issues. What a disgrace.

February 5, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Nicolle

I don't have Twitter, but happened to catch this second interview. My husband and I HUGELY CONGRATULATE Janet for her monumental work to put an important discussion on the global table! SHAME on YOU, Pierce, for being so defensive. If you LISTENED carefully, you would understand from Janet's very very clear explanation that this is about how a person's story/life is framed. I GOT IT, JANET! Others heard you clearly and are in complete support of your cause ! (Pierce– I really hope you can step away from your own perspective and defensiveness enough to let others tell their story in their own words without the sensationalism. And the panel afterward was appalling! I shut it off. The debate is not about how you or anyone else felt wronged. It's about how we talk about the issues. And whether we really give people space to speak about their experiences without being labeled, and enough space to reflect and react, even after a discussion took place. For that, I thank Janet who has challenged the way we think/talk. And has opened a door for an important perspective on how we talk to each other and about ourselves as human beings.)

February 5, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kevin

here here!

February 5, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynne

Nicolle wrong, on every level. Framed that is a good one, This is the first time I've ever heard it in that context and to me it is nothing but an excuse. I feel for her, I do, and I understand how she feels inside, but to the outside world it is not like that. Take Cher son Chaz, he went thought the same thing, on the outside society saw him as Cher daughter, and now he is her son. We cannot as a society not see things in that manner, because in our eyes be it wrong or right that is how we are brought up to see it. We are learning, but she has to come to the understanding in her life that not all society sees it that way. She cannot get angry every time some one disagrees with her in a fashion she gets and we don't. We are each able to voice our opinions as you did, but I disagree. It is a hang up in her, not Pier's. Tonight, she was talking as though a chip was on her shoulder. She better get tuff, I wish her well, but it is her problem not Pier's. Just like a race issue where some one cannot stop talking about color, that is their problem, not the receiver.

February 5, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Nicolle

This banter just shows how narrow minded people are. Human beings have evolved so little intellectually when it comes to constructing ways of defining ourselves. We limit ourselves, our children, our loved ones. A pity, really. Just because Society can't handle it–doesn't mean others should stifle their own voice. Chaz, Janet, or any other human, should not have to suffer for the small-mindedness of others. We should celebrate all differences. And support each other for breaking the boundaries that define us. All that being said, I really appreciate Piers for always challenging the frontiers of our thinking–but encourage him to take his battles to a higher level of engaging his audience to think beyond the constructs of the mind/society. I think the 2nd interview could have been focused on HOW to change the way we talk about definitions of ourselves–rather than just a defensive argument on 2 sides. It didn't make sense. A lost opportunity! Would like to see Janet invited back to further talk about HOW interviews should be conducted with transgender people. Like Steven said–LGB people have been given more opportunities in recent years–but T have not yet benefited from the discussion in the same way. Time for us to LISTEN and LEARN. And give people like Janet a BREAK in the process!

February 5, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nicolle

CORRECTION in my previous post– I should have said–Like KEVIN said... not Steven! (So sorry!)

February 6, 2014 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Katherine

Well said, Nicole. Given the magnitude of Piers' power in having an empowered/enfranchised voice, his own show/platform, and given that Janet Mock was on Piers' turf/domain, I feel Piers was wantonly and counter-productively aggressive in his demand for an absolving explanation from Janet for her tweeted critiques. Janet Mock's story deals with very personal, intimate yet urgent matters. Piers, "the advocate," needed to be more sensitive and open, not overly focused on defending himself. Janet Mock is an amazing voice who should be invited back again.

February 13, 2014 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Lynne

Tonight Pier's was Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet Mock was under the understanding that she is not or ever was a boy. What she doesn't see is that society sees it that way, if some one is born with genitalia. She is the one with the hang up, and she really needs to get over it, because I can tell you that anyone else who does an interview will ask and say the exact same thing. I realize that she feels in her body that she is female, but on the outside by society standards she is considered a male. She really has to move past this, because I can say with all honesty this will haunt her where ever she brings this subject to life. Pier's was right and was extremely kind tonight and she needs to apologize to him, and I can tell you that I never thought I would agree with him, but tonight he was right.

February 5, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. John Concannon

The operation was a success, Janet is a woman. She tied Piers into a square knot and it is not clear to anyone why. I thought Peirs, and I am not a fan, was quite dignified in his attempt to resolve the matter, but it is hopeless.

February 5, 2014 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. To guy

Scientifically, biologically and genetically this "woman" is a man. Semantics be damned!

February 5, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven

Yes, To guy, she has male genetics. I believe her major point was not to define her. She gets to define herself. Not even biology defines her. As a biologist, I completely agree with her.

February 5, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. MrAl

This "woman" who was formerly is a complete b?tch. "I am born a baby". That's the response to Piers question "Are you born as a boy?". In any other country "she" would have been laughed out the door .... Not in America, where this is "seriously" discussed.

February 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • I was born a girl

I'd like to ask Janet a question, If she could have a baby, and someone came up and said oh what a cute baby is it a boy or girl? Would her answer be oh it's a baby, its gender is a boy, but when it grows up it will be whatever it wants to be. It's all a bunch of crap!!!!!

February 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Gary

I watched the entire interview last night and thought Piers was understanding and supportive then "Janet" throws out those tweets. I was considering buying her book but no way now. That was totally out of line on her part. Then to top it off the BIGGEST racist in America, Mark Lamont Hill, agrees with her. Can not even listen to his rants any longer, he is so far off base.

February 5, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Robin

For the people who seem confused at why Janet could be upset about her appearance on the show, it's pretty simple, calling a woman a man is disrespectful. And like Laverne Cox recently said, "calling a trans woman a man is an act of violence." So Piers and the producers' act of ignorance/violence is sure worth a mention on twitter especially from the woman it was directed at. Piers made a fool of himself on twitter last night, shouting down an under-represented minority and calling them idiots for not understanding how generous and caring he was by even letting a trans woman on his show and then refusing that woman to comment on how she was misrepresented.

February 5, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. PAT

Janet was not misrepresented at all, I thought she was a very rude. Just remember he was doing a interview, and he was asking questions just because he called her a male which she was when she was born, he gets all kinds of s-it. Grow up people.

February 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. apple

miss janet, you are so wrong.

You were born as a BOY and no matter all the surgery you have done you still a BOY. that is your DNA and you cannot change that.EVER.

February 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Diana P.

I am a trans* woman and believe Piers was very authentic and respectful during both interviews. I also believe his intentions were to be respectful. That being said those of us in the trans community always need to remember cis-people (not trans*) do not understand what is and is not hurtful when dealing with our past. Janet did miss the opportunity to correct Piers during the first interview with a teachable moment. Blowing this out of proportion with a stout supporter of our community was a wrong move. Correcting someone with tolerance of their understanding is key to keep that support is imperative otherwise we are seen as being without merit or like religious fanatics. We must have more patience and hold ourselves to a higher standard just as all of the other civil rights leaders who have come before.

February 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alix

I think you summed it up perfectly, Diana. If Ms Mock was as astute a woman as you clearly are, she could have made this opportunity to be in the national spotlight a plus for trans issues and rights. Too bad she ended up tarnishing the situation with her antics. She also missed the opportunity to have a very teachable moment on national television, which could have educated not only Piers but all his viewers as well.

February 5, 2014 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Nanci

I support Janet 100% and I was glad Piers had her on the show. She would have been wise to either correct him on the show or privately. Tweeting about him (and then saying she didn't read the tweets) is a confusing response and portrays a lack of courage.

February 6, 2014 at 12:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. cowboystardad

Well...Piers was treated in exactly the same way by Ms, Mock as he has treated countless others (example: anyone who owns a firearm).
    You're just coming off as a whiny little boy Piers.

February 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. artooor

Hmmmm. I am no supporter of Piers Morgan. I only watch him if he has someone exceptional on or if there's nothing better to watch elsewhere. I disagree with his liberal views on everything and dislike his blind ferocity in advocating against gun rights, etc. So, a part of me was amused when this "woman" did a number on him – I'm still laughing! Piers, it serves you right to get taken from behind like that despite your best efforts to kiss her/his ass and to give her a platform.

It goes to show EVERYONE that nothing is ever good enough for the Gay or Transgender Lobby – nothing. Firstly, you're not supposed to criticize them at all; any criticism, no matter how objectively or diplomatically put, will earn you the label of "bigot" or "hater,' and, if you're lucky, "closed minded" or "backwards." On the other hand, if you support them, give them a platform, compliment them, encourage them, and help to make them money, you must be do it exactly like they want you to do and like you're a gifted psychic and mind-reader. Mind you, you're also supposed to entirely ignore the labels they themselves use for themselves, and the meaning of the word "Transgender," which they repeatedly use for themselves, lest you be lambasted.

And, what's this business about being "assigned" genitals and/or a gender at birth? Who did the "assigning?" God? Or, blind biology? Or the World Oppressors, or, yea, Piers? That would explain the punishment doled out!

Really! Didn't she prove just how sick she is?

Of course, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she's not "Crazy like a Fox" and she didn't do all that deliberately to milk the publicity and get a second appearance! If she milked it deliberately, she's sane. If she really meant that non-sense, she needs to switch out her /his brains too!

See the extreme narcissism and solipsism? She wrote a book on her being transgender, meaning trans gender, meaning from one gender to another, and yet, she's not supposed to be asked about her ex gender? Isn't the proper word for that concept a-gender, vs. transgender? Ok, I just made that up, but you get the point.

Piers oh Piers – when will you learn? No good deed goes unpunished via a wounded liberal, old chap. Grow up! It is called "The Crying Game" and good old Boy George sang it.

Like they say: "If you're 20 and conservative, you don't have a heart; if you're 40 and liberal, you don't have a brain." What are you now? 48? If you weren't such a bleeding heart yourself, you wouldn't be taken by these bleeding psychos like that. It serves you right! If and when you have coffee with her, try not to focus on her shave-line, just above her upper lip. You may just find your British jewels drenched in hot American coffee.

February 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Maryam

Janet mock you were born as a boy and will always be a boy no matter how surgical procedures you had to cover that up. You can't change what god has created you into.its just a facts. And we can never accept transgender ppl like you. disgusting.

February 10, 2014 at 8:48 am | Report abuse | Reply