Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 12th, 2011

Oprah interview preview: her biggest failure – and how she dealt with it

In this web-only clip from Oprah Winfrey's sit-down with Piers Morgan, the hugely successful talk show host talks about her biggest failure. Find out what it was – and how she dealt with it.

The full interview will be the premiere episode of "Piers Morgan Tonight" – and airs Monday, January 17 9pmET/PT.

Oprah says her biggest failure was the box office response to "Beloved." It "sent me into a massive, depressive, macaroni and cheese eating tailspin,” she says. It was "the only time in my life I was ever depressed. And I recognized, 'I am depressed'...where you feel like you're behind a veil."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers On CNN
  1. Jane

If Oprah had indeed learned from her shows about depression, she should realize that it is a physiological condition. She may have been severely bumed out, but she definitely wasn't "depressed. I like Oprah, don't get me wrong. I just feel as if she is being a bit overly dramatic and insensitive to those who really struggle with depression.

January 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dakota

I agree with Jane. True depression does not occur the way Oprah is describing it. I believe she was in a bad place for a limited time. The fact that this is her idea of "understanding" what the people she interviews goes through, then I venture to say, it is a surface interview which she can not truly understand; so therefore, is it just about ratings. Same as "quick-fix" Dr. Phil. Can be dangerous to open a can of worms with individuals for an hour, and then leave them on their own to deal with what comes up during a show. It's about the show in the guise of "helping" others.

January 14, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Wallaby

OMG what was the bloody florist thinking?
    What's with the baby coffin on the table?

January 15, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. LYN

I love you Oprah! I am sorry you felt depressed back then. You are awesome! You are a bright light in my life, thenkyou
    for being so down to earth and approachable for so many of us, xx

January 15, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mila

the service leppoe were on vacation.So I hope it goes back to where it was since they are back now.Thanks for all you do.Please consider my feedback as friendly suggestions that you ask us to give.Good Night and sing the song. I prefer Clint Black.You probably do not even know who that is but he was very popular in the late 80 s and 90 s.

March 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Hagen McNalley

What's the pinging sound in her mic? Did no one have headphones on when they rolled this?

January 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Cletus

Piers isn't really a slimeball. Don't believe what EVERYONE says in Britain.

January 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mark

So this is CNN's big thing? a tough interview with Oprah? sad

If he asks: You had the good sense to stop going to the church of Jeremiah Wright, who is anti-American and anti-White according to many. Why? Fopr business reasons or b/c you found him extreme?Why do you think President Obama didn't at least anticipate that people would raise eyebrows at that association of his?

that would be a good question--likely not asked but I will check

January 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Abid

I'd like my children to know that God is real. He is aliavable and desires to be involved in every area of their life. I'd like for them to know His voice and to communicate with Him daily. I'd like for them to involve God in all of their life and to trust Him with everything.If they know these things, they can handle anything with Him as life happens!

March 4, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply