Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

January 17th, 2011

Piers Morgan: "You should be free to ask any question that you like"

Ahead of tonight's premiere at 9pmET, Piers Morgan is all over CNN today talking about the new show and the Oprah Winfrey interview.

Earlier this afternoon he talked with Ali Velshi about upcoming guests, his interview style and...suits.

Post by:
Filed under: Piers On CNN
  1. Howard

You are already off to a bad start with Oprah on as a guest on the first night. She is of little interest to most people who see her as a pompous, insincere phoney who loves herself more than her fellow man. Non of her "generosity" has been for the right reasons – it has been only to feed her ego. PLEASE do not repeat the Larry King mistakes of rushing out to be the first to air the latest scandal and bad Karma someone has suffered. People like Michael Moore, the jackson Family, Jenny McCarthy are simply below the high standards that you should have to be successful. Larry King's ratings dropped because he went from having interesting guests to gutter journalism. I hope that you will be a fresh face with more provocative questions but at the same time have guest with basic class. Best of luck

January 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JohnnyMnemonic

I really hope that this show flops. No one wants to see a tabloid journalist play Larry King and act all high and mighty.

January 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Selma McNally

Why don't you have closed captioning on CNN? Thanks

January 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lisa

Who is Piers Morgan? Where did this jerk come from?

January 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rayshelon

A piece of eruiitdon unlike any other!

December 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • zdxekdaulse

NYOzVc kzqsyugcgkvd

December 23, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • vbqvcfhscpf

TySyLQ cssgkfhtatot

December 25, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tim

Peirs Morgan already taking the "Americans don't get sarcasm" line? Lame. First off, it's an overused British line. OVERUSED! Second, it's not true. Americans ABSOLUTELY got Ricky Garvais last night and we loved it! And the idea that we don't like to take shots at celebrities at awards shows? What??? Hey Peirs, go back and check out ANY awards show that Chris Rock has ever done! WE GET SARCASM and LOVE to take shots at celebrities! Moron!

January 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ousman

Once again CNN thanks for bring someone more or less like Uncle Larry King to continue to bring people of different talents, skills, and potentials and those who succeeded in their own effort on board. Morgan, congratulations. i am also glad that your first guest is Oprah Winfrey, a woman in her time. Someone who see the world from different angles and realized that the only way people can be appreciated is by giving them the opportunity to be seen and heard. We thank you Oprah for everything and good luck on your new show....

January 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Oldwelsh

I predict Piers Morgan's show will cancel after the first three months.

January 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Donnie Jarrell

I think Piers is doing a great job on his first show with Opra,I have been watching Anderson Cooper with him and he was just great. I will be watching each show

January 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Fariba Redmond

I watched the new Piers Morgan Show tonight, nothing even close to Larry King. He is very nervous and all he is doing is giving compliments, not a good show , will not be on my to watch list. He can not keep himself calm and collected interviewing Oprah, feel bad for him.

January 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. PAMELA CAMPBELL

I AM A DIE HARD LARRY KNG FAN AND AM SADDENED BY HIS DEPARTURE. I WILL GIVE P[IERS A CHANCE, BUT HIS INTERVIEW WITH OPRAH SEEMED FORCED (SUCKED UP) PARDON THE EXPRESSION AS WELL AS HIS FORCED LAUGH. I HOPE THAT HE ALSO HAS A DESIGNATED SET FORMAT. OPRAH'S INTERVIEW TOO CASUAL.

January 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lynne Bright

Piers is ROCKIN' his new show. I am really looking forward to watching him every night. Congratulations to Piers and CNN and much success!

January 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Namdi

I think Pierce Morgan show will breathe life into CNN! Absolutely Fantastic Show, well thus far I should say. And it gets better... Howard Stern, Cloney, etc. Now I have reason to watch CNN again. Cheers mate!

January 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Nora

Piers Morgan is a TERRIBLE INTERVIEWER! He asks interesting questons, then INTERRUPTS THE GUEST (Oprah) before she can even get the first sentence out. He makes her fight to be heard, and deprives the viewers of what they wanted, which was to hear what SHE had to say! He keeps turning the conversation to himself. What a creep, get rid of him!

(Written after hearing the first three segments)

January 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Thomas Jay Wacker

Finally, a reason to watch CNN again!

January 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Kyl

Piers Morgan will do a better job as a junior high social studies teacher than being an anchor on community colledge campus TV station. His questions are dry and classless. CNN and the viewers deserve better thah this...

January 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eramdi

I suppose it would depned on whether the cold feet are due to the more natural concerns of transition and am I really ready? type thoughts or if they are due to a recognition that this truly isn't right.Some people rush right in and never had cold feet, but still probably shouldn't have married. It pains me that the divorce rate is the same in the Christian Church as it is in the general population. Perhaps the Christian is a little more likely to get married as opposed to indefinite cohabitation which might skew the statistics slightly, but still. That is a sorry testimony to the world and gives us little right to tell anyone how to discern a good marriage.

April 3, 2012 at 4:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reak

US elections some kind of soap chat show. The hmowsans(candidates) like Gingrich with a great speach abilities (lying and promising) can make a show. Most of the US electors some kinda blind and geedy on this issue. They can't make deserving assessments and sober judgment. The others try to make money on war and pursuing their own financial interests. But Ron Paul knows what US really needs to be done with. He is the real guy who knows what to to do. Believe him !

April 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Robert S

It looks like he is intimidated by Oprah and Piers Morgan should not let her control the interview.This is his show,take charge!

January 17, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. linda keith

I was not impressed with Piers Morgan. He was boring and not very interesting, fortunately his guest was Oprah. Why hire a Brit for your prime time program. I'm very disappointed with CNN's choice in a replacement for Larry King!!

January 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. REx Stephens

OMG!.... I love this show... I have been watching Piers Morgan interview Oprah and I Love it... I never email about TV Programming.. but this is really good!...

Rex
    Scottsdale Arizona

January 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Monique Enzle

excellent show, nice design, tasteful music; good Luck Piers,

January 17, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Christine Rath

Two thumbs down. Bring back Larry King! My husband and I watched Larry every night. I wanted to see the Oprah interview. Piers was giddy, interrupted often and I did not like the setting. Maybe the British like this form of interviewing, I however don't. I don't think we'll be regular viewers. As I type this the interview is still on...It is a huge disappointment!! Barbara Walters has nothing to worry about. Piers will not be a household name is the usa.

January 17, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Keri Jo

I find this first interview outstanding. Piers interview ability is on par with Oprah herself. She is an amazing individual and I would like to see him continue to "eek" out good info and personal elements of one's life as he has so skillfully done - as in this interview. I cannot wait to see more.

January 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Kim bloomfield

I found this interview to be painfully dull. Boring in fact.

January 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Georgene

Piers, Thank youfor this program, your skills, Oprah. Hooray I will be watching you with anticipation as you open a new space on CNN.
    Congratulations

January 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Larry

I watched the show. One word: Piers is overrated. Sorry but no my style inerviewer

January 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Todd

Bravo! Just watched your first interview with Oprah. It was WONDERFUL! I fell in love with Piers and fell in love with Oprah all over again. Congrats Piers!

January 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Michael

I've always like Piers Morgan's interview style having watched several interviews he's done in the UK, as well as his own affable, yet quirky style on Britain's/America's Got Talent. However, this evening's interview with Oprah saw him uncomfortably out of his league. The whole interview felt very "meta" - Oprah was there to be interviewed, NOT to interview Piers. Piers came off looking too much like Oliver Twist and too little like a proper interviewer. C'mon Piers, get back to your old style of asking the hard questions without backing down or resorting to that crazy giggle., Go back and watch your own interview with Simon Cowell, which was brilliant, and chalk the Oprah one up to nerves.

January 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Melinda

Great show tonight Piers! Delightful indeed.

January 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Alphonso Lopez

Congratulations you are good, wish the best on the next 25 years to came. Best wishes,

January 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Lois

Piers I am so refreshed and happy with you as the host of your new show. I watched Larry nightly as he smacked his lips and wondered is there nobody else to do what he does eloquently and I feel confident you can hold my attention with ability, competency and etiquette. No disrepect meant towards Larry, but I'm your loyal viewer already. Soooo refreshing.

January 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Freshta

Rough guess, but I'm thinking the rseoan why it was picked is because it sounded right at the time and since quotes aren't tied to royalty payments, they can pinch whatever they want and not pay a cent! Doesn't sound fair, but that's what I'm reading here.Still, it is good publicity. At least you're on Oprah's newsletter, so there'll be at least a few more fans who'll Goggle your name and take the plunge to find out what you talk about and whether it's appeals to them. Can't find any fault in that.

April 2, 2012 at 5:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Kitty K.

You say Piers Morgan is "slightly dangerous" and not boring??? Oh, please! He is downright hazardous to our mental health. The only person not bored by Piers Morgan is himself. Losing Larry King Show was bad enough. Now you expect us to watch a self-absorbed, snarky Brit like Piers? Sorry, there are too many other meaningful things to do. CNN did not put much research or thought into selecting that replacement. What a fiasco.

January 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Charlene

Piers, great job and as Oprah said, it was surprising!

January 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Kay Cassidy

I have been waiting so long for Piers Morgan to premeire his show. I adore Mr. Morgan. I've enjoyed him on the America's Got Talent and other programs. I had hoped and prayed that he would replace Larry King. I never liked Mr. King and stopped watching him years ago. Mr. Morgan is such a gentleman, handsome, well-versed and easy on the eyes and just a delight. I will not miss one show of his. Congratulations Mr. Morgan. You did a fabulous job with your interview with Ophrah. Good luck.

January 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Sindy Preger

Piers is awesome. Congratulations on a fantastic debut show. He will do very well. Class act having Oprah on Martin Luther King Jr day. Be sure to get some Canadian big name guests on the show- lots of Candians are watching!
    Best of luck.

January 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Patti

I hated the Oprah interview. PM was so star struck it was embarrassing. I can sleep well tonight because, Oprah is now
    responsiable for the evolution of the planet...........OMG How can anybody with half a brain stand Oprah.

January 17, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. MSCAH

Piers, I have to say "BRAVO", I will set my television for your show daily. I loved your presence. The interview was wonderful, informative, and entertaining. Shoes well filled.

January 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Don Erskine

Having watched Larry for years, and other interviewers, Piers would do well to limit his laugh, listen more carefully, and nurse comments by his guest to explore more in-depth responses. He is most charming when he is listening. His English accent needs to be modified by not talking as much. I look forward to Piers improving as each night passes.

January 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Kristi binkley

WOW!!!! I watched Larry here & there,
    but in my eyes, you have absolutely set the bar. Your interview was very impressive with OPRAH of all people. You have been DVR'ed in my remote from here on out. Pat yourself on the back. You totally deserve it Piers.

January 18, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Derrick Dymond

Piers,

You said you would make us talk the next day about your show and say " did you see that". Well, I just saw your interview with Oprah, and as she said (and Gail, comment before a break) – "you are good" and you DO bring out humanity (at least in Oprah as your first show), congratulations my good man!

Cheers and good luck, for a very close parallel to Mr. King in your own unique style!

Derrick

January 18, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Ben

His first CNN interview with the undisputed Queen of TV was nice & cool. Piers was undoubtedly intimidated by Ms. Winfrey, which was more than obvious. But I do think it was a concious effort by Piers to position himself as a soft newbie for two reasons: 1. so that he remains friendly with the empress & network "OWN"er but more importantly because Piers needs to get comfy with his American audience. To watch the "real", "dangerous" Piers, which is what would be interested in; I beleive we will have to wait till atleast his 20th show. Thank you Mr. Morgan, for that "surprising" interview with Oprah & best wishes for a successful run with CNN.

January 18, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Lincoln

I enjoyed your show with Oprah Winfrey. I would like to see you have a serious interview with about 3 or 4 billionaires about the economy and how to generate more jobs. Maybe with Ted Turner, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and Sir Richard Branson. And maybe brighten things up with Ross Perot.

January 18, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. B Haren

Long time CNN viewer comment: Piers show tonight was such a disappointment. Totally kissing the almightly Oprahs butt. I thought this was (as promoted) going to be a hard hitting interview style show...( I think Barbara Walters' interview of Oprah was much better). I will not have much patience if this is the formula going forward. Oh and Piers asking Oprah 'How did I do' at the end of the show...embarrasssing...It seemed to lessen my confiidence in him. CNN you are absolutely falling in the ratings ...time to make a stand and get real...

January 18, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Karen Anderson

Dear Piers Morgan,

One word can describe tonight's broadcast of your very first interview (post-Larry King) of Oprah Winfrey....simply marvelous! 🙂 I was so riveted to my seat because I really enjoyed Larry King (and was so thankful you were the replacement show). Your first interview was great; the questions were greater...and your style was so relaxing and "surprising." I must admit I never watched "America's Got Talent" very often; but I did attend a taping with my son Kyle, daughter Ashley, and my 88-year-old father, Woody. We saw you and the other two judges that day for the taping of Circ du Soleil. Tonight I was surprised that you seemed to be "gushy" of sorts; quite unlike that which I expected. Then again, you had a wonderful guest and that had to be a real "feather in your cap" to have Oprah as your first guest. I am a follower of The Piers Morgan Show. Your last question to Oprah, "How did I do?" mae me laugh. I realized how vulnerable we all are (even you); I also was on the same page as Oprah with her critique. The word, "surprising" was so fitting ~ the tough, non-nonsense British America's Got Talent judge showed a soft, yet professional style. Gail King was right...."You are good." Good luck and God bless you in your new endeavor...I'll be tuning in each night.

Warm Regards,

Karen Anderson

January 18, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Dave Kaplan

Hi Piers,
    I like to make a comment on your first show. Your show got my thumbs up way up.
    From Dave Kaplan of Los Angeles, CA

January 18, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. King

Your interview with Oprah was "surprisingly" disappointing. You didn't listen to her, you talked too much, you were a star-struck teenager focused only on her power and money and not on what she was trying to tell you about her mission in life. You should have followed her from age 14 to find out how she became the president of her school council, rep to a visit to the president of the US with the young leaders of America when she was a teenager.This would have hit the center her target audience (young girls). You should have explored with her what living life in the "lane" she chooses is about rather than arguing with her about the lane you thought she should have chosen. You showed your inexperience and came up an ignorant fool compared to her. I am not impressed by your interviewing skills. the British accent isn't enough. You have to go for the heart of the matter and you missed by a long shot.

January 18, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. kat

Oprah was very generous to Morgan, who was rude, chauvanistic and from another century. If this is his best...forget about it!!

January 18, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Viewer

Very tacky and self-centered to have had the last question of Oprah about himself and not her.

January 18, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Gillian Wood

Piers, you are joyful, cheeky and brilliant. I will welcome you into my home every evening. However, please know that I will not be watching tonight: I refuse to watch trash like Howard Stern. The same will apply when/if you interview other empty, sad, destructive "guests." I change the channel as soon as I am exposed to people like Howard, Snooki and gang, Paris Hilton, Lindsay L, Brittany, etc. Life is too short.
    Love you, Piers.

January 18, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Elizabeth L.

I am enjoying your shows, however, please let the guest finish their answer. You do tend to but in with other questions before they even answer another. Maybe you should be on for an extra half hour so you can ask all the questions. Even Ms. Rice stopped you at one point to let her finish an answer. Calm down and Good Luck with your show!

January 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply