Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 17th, 2011

"Piers" Preview: "King's Speech" star Firth 'likes voting'; unelected institutions 'a problem'

Tonight is the night – Piers Morgan's long-awaited interview with the Oscar-nominated stars of "The King's Speech" – Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter.

During one surprising exchange, Piers asks Firth about his take on the monarchies, like the one he portrays in the movie. After avoiding the question ("I think they seem very nice"), Firth revealed his real take on the royal family.

MORGAN: Do you think the institution is a good one?
FIRTH: I really like voting. It's one of my favorite things.
MORGAN: So unelected institution isn't really your cup of tea.
FIRTH: It is a problem for me.

Rush seemed to echo the same sentiment. While he's "fascinated" by the history of the monarchy (and both agreed they helped their respective careers), Rush isn't a monarchist either. Check out the full "Piers Morgan Tonight" interview tonight at 9pmET/PT (and the following day at 8pm UK/HK).

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. PJ

He is better drawing upon the Brits. Then CNN can market his show abroad. He doesn't fit in our country.

January 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane

We all realize the importance of the Egypt problem but when is "The King's Speech" cast interview going to be aired?
      My husband and I were really looking forward to seeing it. Thank you.

January 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ali

I was so pleased that the king's sepech won best picture. Honestly I believe the Social Network got overhyped PR becouse it covered facebook and that perhaps turned off some AMPAS members.Second to my own local displeasure the local cinema which is still holding four other movies schelduled for The King's Speech for later in the afternoon like 5pm as first show. Now for a picture like this which just won best a pic oscar is an insult to the customer and to the weinsten company in my opioin.

April 3, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. tacomateri

As a Londoner who has lived in the US for many years, I am really enjoying your interviews, Piers. I think the movie, The King's Speech is a masterpiece and everybody I know who has seen it loved it too. I am slightly younger than Queen Elizabeth II and remember her marriage and a few years before too; however, when she dies, I will not really care about the "New Lot", i.e. Charles et al, who do not in my mind meet the higher moral stands of his mother.

January 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ian. UK

Ur a Brit and like Piers Morgan? What about the faked Iraqi war photos?

January 28, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. George B

Well with all the "Hype" about PM I was really excited to sit infornt of my tube with my lady to watch the show. After watching every evening since the show debuted here is the impression. PM is a charming Chap and his accent is certainly attractive to the lady's including mine , but some of PM's questions tend to be a bit shallow. His frequent questions to his guest about thier personal net worth is in many ways offensive and inapproptiate "WE KNOW THEY ARE RICH & FAMOUS" that's one of the reasons why they are on the show. Also PM should really permitt his guests to answers the question if he is going to ask them, PM interrups frequently (IE Oprah and Condi both stopped him so they could answer a question ,the Osteen's were too nice to say anything when they were interrupted). PM also doesn't often ask the questions he says he is going to ask. IE before a break with Kim and Courtney K ,PM said he was going to ask them about business instead it was the "how much money do you have AGAIN question. PM's audience (which was Larry K's Audience expects depth) is looking to learn something new and interesting so PM should ask questions with more DEPTH, Larry hit this out of the park hence why he is the King of talk. I am still encourged to watch PM but he will lose me and others if we dont get more Depth. Also PM should see about getting Ozzie and Sharon Osborne that would be nice interveiw since they are fellow Brits. All the best PM G.

January 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Katie

I agree completely George B. I was an avid Larry King viewer and always watched to "learn something" and find out the truth behind the people he interviewed. I don't want to watch another ET type show. I like PM a great deal but I would hope he could find a better balance in what he does and how he interviews people. I was disappointed in the long awaited interview with Colin Firth and the cast of this incredible film because of the questions PM asked. Colin and Geoffrey were embarassed too much and though I love Susan Boyle I didn't want the precious moments of interview spent on PM's feelings for her. The actor's and this film deserved better.

February 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Rafael

Gemma Toon – Dear Richard and Sarah,Well done on a lovely iotleclcon of photos. Have to say that one stands out from all of the rest for us No 22. It is the one I would like blown up on my wall and we don't even know the couple! Wonderful symmetry.Have to say very proud to see our wee girls as a favourite No 8. So glad to have bought the china tea set as they played happily for ages with it! Thank you for capturing a great day.Would love to know who the winner is . how long do we have to wait?

April 4, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. yanhxadv888

Are they twins or brothers? They look so semblable!

January 28, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Valentín

Piers is a nice interviewer, but I don't like how he sometimes loudly interrupts or makes way too many compliments. He gave Oprah so many compliments and you could see it made her uncomfortable; she corrected him every time he said things like "so, you know you are the most powerful woman in the world". Those bits were painful to watch. Thankfully, it seems Piers has calmed down since the Oprah interview and found a more relaxed route.

Oh, and all you Americans who dislike Piers simply because of his background and/or "accent", are appalling and should be ashamed of yourselves. The world does not center around you anymore, embrace the variety and learn from it.

January 28, 2011 at 3:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. thekenyan

is Piers really cut out for this gig? CNN needs a long term strategy..... try the Hoff

January 28, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ian. UK

The Hoff is a god! Piers Morgan is Satan, well perhaps not, but he is a bit of a twit.

January 28, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. scndnv

I'd like to see even more banner ads and 'article' ads for this show.

January 28, 2011 at 4:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ray

Give Piers time, he will grow into his role. If any of you watched the early Larry King, you wld have said that he was totally ill equipped to handle major interviews. But he got better. Piers will too. Its obviously a big jump from being a judge on a talent show to doing major interviews with who's who in world politics, national leaders and A list celebrities. Time will tell.

January 28, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dallas Reid

He was a newspaper editor before the talent show I belive

January 28, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Danielle

the word is" believe". You misspelled it!

February 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • LibelFreeZone

That Morgan was a "newspaper" editor is debatable. He was a TABLOID editor–big difference, don't you think?

Piers Morgan said in a recent interview that he’s been reading tabloids since he was seven years old and has “always wanted to be a journalist.” The problem is, when one sucks news at an early age from the teat of shock headlines, one has no idea what real journalism is. Thus, Morgan has a repugnant history as first a reporter for and then the editor of three notorious British tabloids. Morgan calls himself a serious journalist, yet he spent over a decade lying, exaggerating and printing salacious rumors about the rich and famous at The Sun (1989–94), News of the World (1994–95), and the Daily Mirror (1995–04). Without a public acknowledgment—indeed, an apology for deceiving the public—I don't think he'll ever be able to wash the stink off himself from being mentored by Rupert Murdoch and Kelvin Mackenzie, both repulsive yellow journalists. Now he's trotting himself out as a quality but "dangerous" mainstream interviewer when he should be hunkering down to actually learn the ethics and skills of responsible journalists. Shame on CNN for hiring this disreputable and lame excuse for a journalist. It’s a sad day for journalism when Piers Morgan is considered mainstream.

Also, Morgan is famously known for complete disregard for basic privacy of the rich and famous. In his words, "They can't have it both ways." Hmmm...

February 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jenni

As an American I don't get why the monarchy even still exists...but then our country never had that history. I too enjoy voting and have in every Presidential and midterm election since I turned 18.
    And I personally enjoy Piers. I like having a different point of view.

January 28, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Abbie

Added the real Piers Morgan on Facebook. Awaiting a return add, if one is to come.
    The show I like immensely, thus far. He's much better at getting matters out of people than was the "dinosaur" Larry King. He's more charming and far less flippant, as well. Kudos to you, Mr. Morgan. And, KUDOS to you for banning "Madge" Ciccone, as well.

January 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Abbie

Hang on, so ... are YOU or aren't you interviewing Colin Firth, and Mr. Rush tonite then?

January 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Marsha

Fully understanding the importance of the reporting and commentary on the events in Egypt, realizing the gravity of the situation, and having watched the events unfold on CNN all day, I still am compelled to say that I am disappointed that the interview with Colin Firth has been pre-empted. Is it possible that it will be aired at a later date and if so..... when?
    And, Piers,... love your show!

January 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Melissa

WE WANT COLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When will his interview be on?

January 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. lynn Richer

for god sakes...isn"t 23 hours of non stop Egypian brainwashng by your news arm enough for anyone!!! When will the Colin Firth interview be on?

January 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. keith

I think Piers is supprisingly folksy compared to the personality that he projected on America's Got Talent. Just try not to interrupt guests and dwell as much on money and incomes. Please put the Colin Firth interview on-Rush,Bonham -Carter and he are all talented actors in a really good film. Plus I have a close family member who thinks Colin is fantastic.

January 29, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. PC

Enough with rehashing Egypt info. Please run Colin Firth interview as soon as possible and let us know when it will be on.

January 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Christine

All of Colin Firth's many fans would like to know exactly what date will you show his interiew?

January 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Abbie

DITTO, Christine!

I would love to see Mr. Firth interviewed on Piers' show, and very soon 🙂

January 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Ronni Sherman

Please rebroadcast Colin Firth's interview.
    It never aired in California.
    The events in Egypt were aired instead.

January 31, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. eileen hebert

We have waited to hear Piers interview with Colin Firth.Twice now you advertized it was being aired & instead went on to BREAKING NEWS from Egypt.Please we have seen the van running over people 4 times already in the last 30 minutes!.It would be nice if Piers would have on BOTH occasions the interview was to be aired Explained that the show was being interrupted for breaking news.Also if what we just viewed on line here was considered the interview it would hardly fit that discription.

February 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Abbie

Here, here Eileen!

I am fed up with seeing Egypt covered, and yes ... I know it's real, etc., etc., etc.

Piers, leave the breaking news to CNN news anchors and Anderson
      Coop, eh? Do what you do best and I'view the famous folks.

February 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Aprilwoli

We all know that the situation in Egypt is important, but there are plenty of other shows devoted to current news events. Why does Piers Morgan have to drop everything and present the same news as every other news show? I am not tuning in to his show for current events. I am watching because I want to see interesting interviews with celebrities and politicians.

February 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. LibelFreeZone

February 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Fenway

I do so hope that nothing will interfere with the Colin Firth interview tonight. Like the others, I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

February 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Terry

I hope the interview is indeed on tonight. I will hold my comment until (a) I actually see it and (b) hear exactly what Mr. Firth and Mr. Rush have to say and in what context. These quotes are exactly what we have come to expect of Mr. Morgan. He is so used to tabloid journalism he blows things up just to get headlines ...and puts his own spin on what is said..But it gets him headlines which is his main objective!

February 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Mercedes

This is the last chance I'm giving you, Piers, you better not lie again about tonight's Colin interview...

February 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Victoria Miller

Really enjoyed the cast of The King's Speech interviews show. However, I, personally, don't get all the references to Piers Morgan and Colin Firth looking alike. Firth's jaw is much flintier.

As for royalty, that would be a good topic for a show by itself. "The Divine Right of Kings"?! Really? A very antiquated notion.

As for voting, it would be lovely if people got more of a say in the choices of whom their was to vote for.

February 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Adrian Willer

Some genuinely wonderful posts on this site, thanks for contribution.

March 6, 2021 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Carmel Kasuba

I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

March 6, 2021 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply