Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 23rd, 2011

Piers Morgan interviews Larry King as part of wide-ranging "Piers Morgan Tonight"

The above video shows the welcome between Piers Morgan and Larry King back in September. Tonight, the former and current 9pmET CNN hosts sit down, live, face-to-face. There's a lot to discuss.

Also on the show will be the ex-wife and son of NFL great Dave Duerson, who recently committed suicide. CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta will be on as well. And to talk about Lindsay Lohan – her father, Michael Lohan in a "Piers Morgan Tonight" exclusive. All live tonight, 9pmET.

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. Erika

Oh, tonight's show should be good. I thought the Libya coverage on Monday was excellent, with the updates, analysis, and explanation of why we should care and what we can possibly do to help.

And then last night's show started off pretty good with the update, but then I had to turn.

I like the idea of having a guest, and then a bunch of hot topics ...

February 23, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

Or a bunch of hot topics, and then a guest ...

February 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Klaus

Piers, I like what you have done w/ the show so far. I would not take Larry's advice too seriously: it is better to stay your own course than to trying to be someone else. Again, I think the show has benefitted from you taking over.

-K

February 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pat

Kid Rock was suppose to be on. What happened????? The rest of this show wasn't worth watching!!!!

February 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jennie

Pat, that's exactly what I was thinking. I thought Kid Rock was supposed to be on last night? Is there a rescheduled date for his interview? When I found out it was Larry King I didn't even watch – who wants to watch a grouch take a stab at someone who is taking their place.............

February 24, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
      • Anne

Kid Rock has been rescheduled what, three times now? Put a schedule out there and stick to it!

February 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe DG

Please Larry stay away a little longer,,,,

February 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

I agree, I love Piers. I couldn't wait till Larry King was gone.

February 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deborah

It is Piers Morgan's time. Liked all of Pier's shows until Larry showed up. Agree with you. Change is good.

February 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nina Fox

My question to Larry King. Is retirement all that it is cracked up to be? Ah, Larry, I miss you so much. You are certainly a King among Kings!!!

February 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anne

Larry we miss you dearly – Pierce has to much to proof and is too self indulgent, can't stand him and his narcissism! Larry is and will always be the BEST!!!! You are missed Larry, CNN made a huge mistake in replacing you with Pierce.

February 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • mo

I totally agree with you. Peirs is a blittering arrogant and obnoxious moron that is only intersted in ratings and not interviewing a person. All he ever does is interrupt his guests and talk down to them. it must be something about the sarcasm in British humor? American don't like a braggart host replacing a legend like Larry.

February 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nina Fox

Qaddafi looked disheveled in the interview with Larry King.

February 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Nina Fox

Reagan was in the forefront of destroying the middle class America. This phenomena actually started 50 years ago but Reagan increased exponentially that path.

February 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CHM

It wasn't Reagan at all. It was all of us. Let's start with education and now the lack thereof. It really isn't about politics.

February 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jaker

Larry, what you said about Piers, did I get a whiff of jealousy?

So...from now on Piers is "King". You are just Larry, Right? Right!

Re; Gaddafi.
    He is a megalomaniac; so he will be going out in a straitjacket parachute & not to Heaven but to "Hell"!.

February 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mojie

I'm really disapointed with the interview Larry King had with Mahmood Ahmadinejad!!!
    It was more like he was interviewing Larry King!!!

February 23, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker

Ahmadinejad always interviews the interviewer; because he (Ahmadinejad0 couldn't for the love of Allah, give a straight answer to 1 question never mind 2.

February 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Chris

This tabloid reporting wannabe famous personality doesn't have it. I keep trying to watch and get interested in it, but - NAH.

February 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaker

Seems your trying is successful.

February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jaker

I'm Jaker I'm dangerous...now what do I do, Larry?

Oh o.k.

And I am "Special"...& I am..."Dangerous Mouse".

February 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Laurie

Larry was right. Piers is arrogant, interrupts and is annoying...way oversold by CNN. Piers is not "dangerous" and makes the hour all about himself. So, Piers-be respectful of your guests and shut your mouth and listen. Please.

February 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. leahaa

Piers Morgan is such a great interviewer. Larry overstayed his welcome by several years, and was hard to watch by the last couple. In fact I was surprised he still got the guests he did. I think Mr. King seemed very jealous, and he it was disappointing to see him critique Mr. Morgan with such open envy. He said something about thinking one should know when to get off the train and that he knew his right time to get off. I beg to differ. Mr. Morgan is a class act and handled Larry beautifully.

February 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. pat flynn

I really miss Larry King. He was the best interviewer ever. Relaxed and comfortable.

February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sandie

I miss Larry. Piers is too overpowering and too arrogant with his guests. I can't get into the interview because it always goes back to his feeble attempts at one-upsmanship. A new host please!

February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Cathy

I love Larry King but I do think Piers does a very good job. I think Larry sold himself short by not welcoming Piers as Piers moved into the spot.

February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cosmin

Hi Piers love your show..just vanna ask you something. Why you don't have the buzzer... Just imagine the lines "Howard Stern got buzzed last night by Piers Morgan"... You don't have to buzz a lot just maybe once or twice here and there when you feel your guest doges the questions. I think it will give you some kind of power and everybody will watch to se who will get buzzed tonight... It can be a humorous addition even... In the end you got yourself famous thanks to the buzzer also...Just a idea

February 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Terence

Piers - just stop the interrupting of your guests. That alone will bring your ratin gs up. It really does grate on people. You cut them off in middle of responses that people want to hear. Relax already!

February 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jonathan J Tibbs

I want something from the United Kingdom ... I have a hat from London my grandma gave to me a long time ago when she visited ... It says Lonon with a lightning bolt ... I wear it like it is going out of style ...

Jonathan J Tibbs

February 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. nicole

Peirs Im a huge fan! You have not over sold yourself. Keep up the good work.

February 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. renee jacobs

Ciao Piers.....I wanted to say the music is weak, and your voice is like an old lady, and the begginning of your sentences start off with a very high octive or ball pintching, and the danger, I think you left it all on "americas got talent" show, COULD YOU GO AND RETRIEVE IT BACK, I really like you, and your part in show biz........thanks, Renee

February 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Tammy

I love Larry but I have to disagree with him, Piers has lived up to his marketing. He is more than I expected and definitely "dangerous". A very exciting interviewer to watch and I do almost every night!

February 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Craig

I have really tried to watch Piers and liked the idea of a British person taking over after Larry. However, as Larry pointed out, he talks about himself and ratings (even challenging Sean Hannity at Fox about how he would be him in the ratings). Hannity isn't a news show, it's politically biased entertainment that refers to itself as "Fair and Balanced." Making comparisons to yourself just serves to make him appear genuine to his flock. Piers looked uncomfortable, laughed uncomfortably and was overly effusive in his regular praise of Larry. He talked about himself and the show, instead of focusing on what Larry is doing. Exactly what Larry and others believe is costing him viewers. Talk to Larry about that after the show, we don't need to see that during our time for news and newsworthy figures.

February 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Alastair

I had all but stopped watching live tv, except for sport. I hate ads. But despite this, Piers has lured my wife and me back. Sure, he sometimes interrupts and it can be annoying, but sometimes it's appropriate, his guests are waffling. But overall, he's doing a great job, I hope he keeps it up.

February 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Charles Parish

I have a very hard time understanding your speech. Really, you are not clear.
    You probably have great things to say, if people can understnad you. Thanks.
    Charles Parish

February 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Stanley Collins

Larry, you are still king and you SHOULD be invited back to an awakened CNN. Piers will not last. The ratings for this slot will continue DROPPING(S).

February 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Sheeba

Piers Morgan's Shows are not that much exiting to watch than King. More than 10-15 yrs we are admired and eagarly waited to see King almost everyniight. Anderson has the spirit than Piers. And it is very up setting to see CNN to bring this kind of show to upset a man who did more than 7000 shows. Ending is disapponting to us.

Sheeba

February 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. MBD

Piers,
    Thank you for doing the story on Dave Duerson!
    My father played football his whole life, including the NFL in the 1970s. He committed suicide 11 yrs ago after battling depression and pain pill addiction. At that time, I wish I had of known about the "Brain Bank", because I would have donated his brain for research. These "older" NFL football players seem to be forgotten. It is sad to see these athletes age and physically suffer later in life. I greatly appreciate you bringing about awareness on this issue.

February 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Jennifer

Really?? Michael Lohan?? This is CNN not TMZ – will these people ever just go away?!

February 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Myrtle Neel and Jackum Brown

To Oprah: 'How am I doing?' The same question was repeated to Hugh Heffner. We'll tell you, Piers, and we're English, so we get it all: pretty damn bad! And having Larry on tonight just showed HOW bad and how SAD the show is now.
    Larry is so comfortable in his skin – Piers is not.
    Larry is so himself – Piers always says: 'You've always been my hero'.
    Larry looks at the camera and laughs, Piers keeps looking sideways.
    PLEASE, please, CNN, you can do better than this, much much better – and we expect you to. This man just does not have the intellect, sharpness or any of the attributes we expect CNN heavyweights to have. Please make changes fast.

February 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. C Hilton

Piers Morgan, we LOVE YOU! We enjoy your show so very much, your very engaged with your guest. It is exciting to watch you, and we don't want to miss one moment! I loved when you interviewed Condoleezza Rice, Oprah, Donald Trump!
    You are one of the best interviewers we have seen! Sorry to see Larry King sounding like a sore loser. But it was time for him to retire, long over due.. Don't get us wrong, Larry King was great in his time, but his time was way too long!
    You were a very polite distinguished gentleman handling Larry, he misconstrued your compliments. Larry was not ready nor a willing participant. Your compliments to him were amazing! And we thought how you advertised yourself for the new show was great! Larry again was wrong. WELCOME ABOARD! WE LOVE YOU! And are your fans!:)
    Keep doing the GREAT JOB! My husband and I are enjoying your show very much!

February 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Ed Wolf

So sorry that Larry sang Reagan's praises . . . but said nothing about Reagan's 6 year silence about AIDS . . . thousands were dead, many more infected, before Reagan gave the first policy speech on the epidemic . . . and also disappointed that Piers didn't acknowledge that issue either . . .

February 23, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Dan

Some of you guys are ready to throw Piers to the wolves. Give him a break. Larry was on 25 years. Morgan has been on what? ..not even 2 months? I'm sure you all watched Larry's first 20 shows and remember how great they were right?
    Sure he needs to work on things, but it will come. give the man a chance. I think he's doing fine.

February 24, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Helen

I am still not convinced that Larry wanted to retire. I believe there was more behind the scenes. If CNN actually did "push" Larry out, then CNN shot itself in the foot. Larry had class or else he wouldn't have lasted so long. He also had the respect from his guests. Larry was right when he said "what goes around comes around" and the sooner Piers is replaced the better. I stopped watching Piers after the twins' interview but couldn't resist seeing Larry again. Absolutely nothing has changed. Piers is still arrogant and asks unsuitable personal questions. I find him extremely irritating. However, deep inside I think he lacks self-esteem and that is why he tries to divert attention to himself in order to get reassurance that he is doing a good job. To each his own but this job is not to his calling! He lacks social skills and you can't change someone's personality.

February 24, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

Yeah, "what goes around comes around" aren't the words of somebody at peace with their choices. I wonder if CNN did what Entertainment Tonight did to Mary Hart, and what the networks did to Oprah – insisted they pay less to reflect the decline in ad revenues.

It raised my eyebrows to hear Larry say he never cared about ratings – in this day and age though, who can afford not to care about ratings when a show's coming in 4th out of 4 cable news networks?

I would imagine it must be incredibly stressful to have to worry about the business end of competing for viewers and ad revenue, so hopefully Larry can look back fondly of his time on CNN and all the years he brought so much joy and entertainment into peoples' lives, and not wish that the game hadn't changed when it has. So great that he's got more time to spend with his sons at little league now – they seem like great kids! 🙂

February 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Debbie McQuade

OK Piers we need to talk... Last night? Larry King? You have got to be kidding me!! Larry having a comment and opinion on everyone and thing..You handled yourself like a gentleman (of course) I found great pleasure in your question..so Larry , why do you think your ratings dropped so much in the last few years..Nice one..I thought Larry wanted to jump over the new desk at you!! Very entertaining!! And maybe even dangerous!! Larry seems to be an expert on Dangerous...really? Look..I have tolerated, which seemed endless, the rambling of Larry "dangerous" KIng and his retirement for long enough...do you know that Larry's ship has sailed, so to speak, and pulling him out of dry dock is painful..This Canadian loves the new show, the guests, the topics, the format and ,of course, Piers. You know what's dangerous? Larry King as a baseball coach!! EEK!!

February 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply