READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" will put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For March 7, 2011, violence in Libya, rising gas prices, Sheen's Korner and more.
• Violence continues in Libya – this time by way of air strikes. From CNN: "An air strike targeted the main road heading into the opposition-controlled town of Ras Lanuf on Monday, the latest incident in the air and ground assault by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi aimed at crushing the uprising."
• And as Libya turmoil continues, gas prices are on the rise. Ben Rooney reports: "Gas prices continued to rise Monday, driven higher for nearly two weeks straight by the turmoil in Libya, with analysts expecting prices to keep climbing...Gas prices have increased for 13 days in a row, rising nearly 34 cents in that time."
• Defense Secretary Robert Gates arrived in Afghanistan today and addressed the troops: "U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates choked up when addressing troops Monday on an unannounced visit to Afghanistan, his 13th visit there since taking the job...Gates is scheduled to meet with senior officers and Afghan leaders during his visit to Afghanistan. He will be travelling to southern and eastern parts of the embattled country."
• "Sheen's Korner" – Charlie Sheen's web talk show – debuted Saturday night to lukewarm reviews: "More than 100,000 watched Charlie Sheen's Web show "Sheen's Korner" over the weekend. There were seven parts posted on UStream. On the show, the actor appears to be capitalizing on some of his more popular bizarro quips. At one point he says something about a "blind train wreck of puppies."
• At the weekend box office, the Johnny Depp voiced "Rango" took #1: "That’ll do, lizard. Paramount’s Rango, the animated Western starring Johnny Depp and directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy), lassoed the year’s biggest three-day opening so far with $38 million, according to studio estimates."
So You Think You Know Piers Morgan – Well Here's the Truth!
Just quite how Piers Morgan has managed to take over from the wonderful Larry King I just don't know; King was a wonderful, witty and intelligent journalist and quite rightly was respected the world over. Piers Morgan isn't.
In fact, something that our American cousins may not know, but might like to (especially since you are so keen and stalwart with the respect and regard you have for your troops, both serving and retired) is that Piers Morgan was forced to retire from a daily newspaper here in the UK a few years ago for printing faked photographs, which he and his editors assured their readers were taken of British troops abusing Iraqi PoWs. I've attached a link in case anyone would like to read the full story on the BBC's website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3716151.stm).
It's bad enough that Piers Morgan actually printed the photos without checking that they were authentic, but the really sad and horrific thing was that a number of British troops – who had actually built up a good relationship with the people in the area in Iraq in which they were based – were slaughtered; this was all down to one man; Piers Morgan.
I note that Piers Morgan does not have particularly good viewing figures for his programme, but if you really do have any respect for allied troops who are sent all over the world by their Governments to help other people, then get online or on the phone to CNN and demand that Piers Morgan is sacked (I believe the saying in the US is pink slipped).
Mam, LK had his issues as well.
If British troops were slaughtered principally due to Piers Morgan's mistake in publishing a faked photograph, I'd like CNN to explain how they dared hire him as LK's replacement.
So You Think You Know Piers Morgan ? Well Here's the Truth! We think he is absolutely fantastic. Nothing like having a fresh face with with intelligent who attended a university and studied journalist. CNN has found a gem. Morgan has authored eight books. At the age of 28, he was appointed editor of the News of the World and the youngest 13] reporter.Television programme(s)
Britain's Got Talent
America's Got Talent
Winner of The Celebrity Apprentice
The Dark Side of Fame with Piers Morgan
Piers Morgan On...
Piers Morgan's Life Stories
Piers Morgan Tonight
CNN has found a true gem.
Well said, Nana.
We would lke to see anyone at CNN dare to interview Lt.Col.(retired) Allen West on who we are really at war with.
There is a growing grassroots movement for this man to run in 2012 in the race for President. We are not in a war on terror.
We hope Piers,who seems a no holds barred interviewer will take the challenge. We remember another Brit who dared to and brought down a President.
About the gas prices, the gov needes to do something about the problem, like quit taxing it every chance they get. If they don't people are going to start stealing it from other people or companies, or gas stations, never the less, the crime rates are going to start going up and people are going to get hurt or dead and there is'nt enough police to stop it because of cut-backs. No matter how they have to fix the problem they better get on the ball!! There is even the way of riots and protests against the gov.
Hi, Neat post. There's an issue with your web site in web explorer, could test this?K IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large component to people will leave out your excellent writing because of this problem.