Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 8th, 2011

Donald Rumsfeld describes why invading Libya would be different than invading Iraq

Donald Rumsfeld was a live guest for the hour on "Piers Morgan Tonight" and he discussed the Afghanistan, 9/11 and more. Piers Morgan asked him to compare invading Iraq with potentially invading Libya – would he advise invading Gadhafi's country? "No I wouldn't," said Rumsfeld. "I think it would not necessarily be a way to stop that."

Piers and Rumsfeld argued over the invasion of Iraq as well. "Would you have been very happy to go in regardless of the WMD issue?" asked Piers, to which Rumsfeld said "no." "I don't follow that argument," responded Piers. Said Rumsfeld: "It was a combination of things. It was the rejection fo the UN 17 times, it was his behavior on his own people, it was the weapons of mass destruction..."

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. CHM

Very good interview, Piers. Regardless of how one feels about Mr. Rumsfeld or you, you both tell it like you see it and that is refreshing.

March 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joanna

MOST impressive interview tonight with Mr. Rumsfield in that you didn't pull any punches. I began watching you wondering if you were going to be another CNN entertainment host, but it's clear you're in for more. You've got guts and willingness to ask the really hard questions. You go!

March 9, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mpb

That was a terrible interview by Piers. The questions about which animal he choose was insulting to an intelligent person.
      I was very disappointed. Although, I am not a Fan of Donald, I believe the interview has very poor questions, I will not which Piers again. I prefer to have an intelligent interview when I watch TV.
      Piers should be on E TV.

March 11, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Phil

Even as a Brit living in the US I found it really rather uneven. I think Piers allowed his own personal feelings to push the interview to a point that I found really rather uncomfortable. I sat especially to watch too!

March 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nick

It was rather like watching a schoolboy try to one-up the headmaster.

March 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joe Doherty

It is frustrating to watch Piers Morgan constantly interrupt his guests when the answer is not what he was expecting.
    His guests does not interrupt the question even though it gets very long as if he was talking for the same of talking.
    Good interviewers give their guests the courtesy of letting them respond. Get with it Pierce. We want to hear the response more than we want to hear your rambling questions. Make the questions shorter and to the point.

March 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bets.

At age 78, Mr. Rumsfeld certainly showed himself to be a very sharp, intelligent, well spoken person to overcome your incessant, rude interruptions and your constantly talking over him. No one wants to hear YOUR opinions. We want to hear what your Guests have to say, and especially listening to Mr. Rumsfeld. That is why we tune in.

March 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mike

Just watched Piers Morgan Interview Donald Rumsfeld on CNN. What an awful interview. Rumsfeld came across as very human. Piers was needlessly confrontational and worst, just kept speaking over him, cutting him off mid-sentence. What a stupid approach to an interview of anybody.

March 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Bev

Piers: Please let guests finish their thought before you interrupt. Do you listen to guests? It seems you are just wiating to jump in without much thought to what guests are trying to tell you. Slow Down.

March 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dre

bev, i am sure piers is just that type of a very smart journalist who just didn`t want to waste time in listening to that punk donald duck`s stupid things he got to say. donald duck was out of contextt and he can`t even answer pier`s question in a clever and sincere manner so why wasting time listening to what a fool like that was saying. i rather listen to homer simpson than listening to donald duck`s...

March 10, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mike Gottschalk

I entered into this moment on the heels of the Frontline presentation of things where it's pointed out that Donald Rumsfeld refused to aid George Tenet and the CIA until he could have control which delayed action by months. I was poised for squirm. What I watched was a journalist asking questions to a man involved in history. Both responded with humility to what might be real in the midst of complexity. While I was newly impressed by Piers Morgan, I was taken a back by Donald Rumsfeld through his way of acquiescing points that reality would require: Reality looked more important to him than ideology.

I had thought that G.W. Bush was a puppet animated by Cheney/Rumsfeld. While I wouldn't say that Donald Rumsfeld was any kind of puppet, I wonder if he wasn't the one who was used.

This was an interview I crave: one that reveals the complexity and even the ambiguity of situations. Such an interview with D. Cheney or G.W. Bush couldn't have been had. Reality as one's focus results in a different conversation than one where the focus is on one's ideology.

March 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Hilary Tafran

I thought FINALLY Piers a REALLY GOOD interview!!!! YOU NAILED IT!!!! You asked ALLLL the right question's and were SOOO right on your mark and believe me EVERYTHING you said was SO true. How on earth he can not see what a HUGE mistake the Iraq War was is Mind Blowing. I mean I support our troop's where ever they go, but you were exactly right in EVERYTHING you said about it to him. I feel bad to tell you this but I used to make jokes and give my British friend's a hard time until recently I found out way back I have British in my family and in the last few year's British people have really impressed me. You just did, keep up the good work!!!

March 8, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jack Overbind

Piers, this was your best interview, you finally did what you do best... You got rid of the image as Larry's replacement

March 8, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Rene

Hey Piers! Why dont you shut up and let your guests finish answering the questions you asked them!

March 9, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jason Falk

Absolutely terrible interview. Mr Rumsfeld makes Piers Morgan look foolish.

March 9, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Doug

If Morgan was faced with the decisions Rumsfeld had to make, he would end up in a corner weeping like child.

March 9, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Erika

Well, Rumsfeld hasn't been in power for 6 years, but the fact that he's been involved in Middle East issues for over 25 years and was architect of the invasion of Iraq makes him relevant to the debate of what foreign policy should be going forward as democratic uprisings continue to rage across the Middle East, and why (based on his beliefs, his insights, and his track record).

Did he just say he didn't support a no-fly zone over Libya, even if it was UN sanctioned – the difference supposedly being the lack of alleged wmd's? Anybody else surprised by that, given that the evidence that Saddam had wmd's was always flimsy to begin with? So for him to appear to have a change of heart ... I suppose that's as close to regret that you'll ever likely see from Rumsfeld that he wishes things in Iraq might have turned out differently (although he specifically stated that he believed Iraq was a success).

It's also interesting to hear such a 'hawk' like Rumsfelt be against increased involvement in Libya, when there's others like Sen. Kerry who were against the invasion of Iraq who want to see more done in Libya (based on humanitarian grounds, as well as to secure peace in an oil-rich nation?)

Difficult issue ... the question of whether or not, how, and to what extent to get involved. Especially given the current state of the economy these days. Fascinating to be able to do post-game analysis with one of the chief decision-makers of the Bush Administration.

March 9, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Rene

Darn right we needed to stand up as a nation and send a message back that the USA will NOT tolerate terrorism!

March 9, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. John

Thank you for asking those hard questions, you put Rumsfeld right on the spot and extract the information out of him. Keep up the good work and good luck on your show.

March 9, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. James Lopez

Piers, how much more disrespective could you be to Mr. Rumsfeld. Would you talk that way to Hillary Clinton? You are not a reporter, you are simply pushing your agenda. It not an interview, it's an inquisition! How about letting Mr. Rumsfeld answer your questions. It's about him, not you.

March 9, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Erika

🙂

Makes me yearn for more Charlie Sheen (kidding!)

March 9, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

Well this comment ^^^(up above)^^^ looks totally out of place now because it was in response to a 'colorful' post from somebody who had a lot to say about Rumsfeld and his answers haha. I guess it must have gotten deleted and then the comment got kicked to the end of the line?

I reported it to the mods – hopefully it'll get deleted 🙂

March 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Erika

PS Rene – I meant I reported my own comment to the mods, not yours – but I guess the same thing happened to yours too ...

March 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rene

Why don't you go get Bin Laden if it so easy Piers?

March 9, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Helen K Kreller

I found Mr Morgan's interview unprofessional and he was not allowing Mr Rumsfeld finish his comments. Piers has an agenda when it comes to his interviews with our leaders, politicians and is very abrasive. When he interviews stars he is a star struck push over. Put George Wills or someone as educated as Wills in Morgan's place. Come on CNN lets get back to good interviews!

March 9, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. kurt hauquitz

Why all of the softball questions for te massmurderer of U.S and Iraqi people!..Let him off the hook for the reason that this war was started for .Rumsfield said for regime change.This was the LAST reason that they gave the American people.What about the first reason...WMD'S.About recommending the Iraqi attack on 9/11 when we had no idea of who did it?!...Of course Iraq was shooting at our planes before 9/11 WEwere flying no fly zones for years!...He(hussein) HATED Al-Queada and NEVERwas there ANY link EVER substantiated about an Iraq/Al-Queada link!NEVER!..more lies fed to the American people even to this day!They lied to us to get us involved and continue to lie to us to secure there "place in history"....Rumsfield AND his boss should be in The Hague for crimes against humanity! Just for everyones info I am a white,mddle aged,patriotic American male and would fight and die for this country!But I believe that truth without questioning is false and those "Leaders" were NEVER held accountable for their lies!We NEED tough questions NOT easy "truths"!

March 9, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. rob

While Rumsfelt was making the toughest decisions of our lifetime, Piers was agonizing over the even tougher decision of whether to let through the harmonica player or the flame-throwing act on his talent show. A lightweight acting like a bully, just a few days after delivering praise and admiration to Charlie Sheen for his brave decisions and behavior.

March 9, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Art Folden

@Piers.. you said to Rumsfeld that the Iraq war was not won, that it is ongoing.. WRONG... the WAR was won, it is the 'terrorism' that continues. Nobody (certainly not Rumsfeld) ever said that the war on terror respecting Iraq had or has been won.

March 9, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Rene

While reading your definition, I thought...Obama to a "T"!

March 9, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. MLB

Ah....at last Piers Morgan has had someone "talk over" him. THANK YOU Mr Rumsfelt!! You have made my day!

March 9, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. KR

I have read countless Rumsfeld interviews. Even recently he spoke with Financial Times as part of his book promo. His treatment of interviewers has always been abrupt, his opinion always overbearing. He always has had the last word. So Pier, thank you for what you did today. It was just a very minor step in attempting to turn the tables on someone who has been so overwhelmingly presumptive with legions of his previous interviewers. There was simply no other way one could penetrate his veneer to try to get at the truth, for better or for worse.

March 9, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. judy

I love you piers, but don't like the way you interview. too abrupt, and you don't listen enough. also...your biases really show, and it doesn't feel like you are a fair interviewer sometimes.

March 9, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Mike

Great interview, I have much more respect for Piers because of the direct questions that need to be asked. I am an Army vet, I volunteered for the Army, and volunteered to go to Afganistan in 2002. I ended up going to Qatar, and Iraq. I had the chance to see a speech while in the middle east with President Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, and Gen. Powell. I want to let people know that my unit was told "to the speech and get the day off, don't go and perform duties as normal." Almost half of my unit decided to perform their regular duties because they didn't want to be an audience to the speech. I was a chemical operations specialist, my job involved the "WMD's" and "NBC" weapons and I was disappointed with the complete lack of any evidence as many other American civilians are, as that was the marketed motivation to enter into this ongoing conflict. As a soldier I jumped at the chance to utilize my training and skills, but as an American civilian disappointed at the cloudy logic that lead to our involvement in this war. I am no longer who I was because of my experiences in the middle east, and as I morn daily the honorable deaths and injuries physical or mental of every soldier that participated to any degree in this conflict I can't comprehend the enormity of the weight on the principles shoulders who collectively made the decision to invade Iraq. It is great to see Mr. Rumsfeld being asked the real, hard questions, but it is disappointing that it takes him marketing a book for economic gain to find this interview. Every American should know that the Military is as diverse as this great country, but I can tell you that the majority of soldiers do not serve throughout their career for the purpose of economic gain. Thank You Piers for the great interview and a clear perspective

March 9, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. TScroggins

Donald Rumsfeld is trying to paint a new picture of himself. History will remember him and the Bush Adminstration as a band of LIARS,CROOKS, and CRIMINALS. These men have been around since Gerald Ford and have dominated American politics for all those years. During all of this time, America has been on a down slide at home and aboard. And now,for Rumsfeld to appear on TV daily trying to change his image and promote his book is just crazy. Please, stop giving him this platform>>>> To all of the Networks JUST STOP!!!!! America has had enough of this nonsense.

March 9, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rene

So have the Kennedy's....can you say "Mafia" Joseph?

March 9, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. John J. Tashjy

Winston Churchill wrote most of his historical tomes at a stand-up desk! That IS an English accent you have, isn't it?

March 9, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Jennifer

What a disappointment! Piers was so incredibly rude, disrespectful and arrogant. Oprah's interviewed child molesters with more respect and courtesy than you showed tonight!! I applaud Rumsfeld for remaining a gentleman and not just walking off the show! Here's a tip Piers..... if you want people to watch, you should try to make your own personal biases a little less obvious. Your questions practically dripped with disdain and every time you didn't like his answers you just talked over him and interrupted his response. We get it.... you're liberal and you disagree with their decisions. So stick to what you know ~ continue fawning over Matt Damon and Sheen and leave the job of protecting the US to the big boys. Better yet.... go back to judging talent shows. That's more your speed!

March 9, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rene

Amen!

March 9, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • AMJ

I tuned in and at the first interruption on Mr. Morgan's part...I tuned out. Sooo fed up with trying to get past the rudeness. I agree...leave this level to Anderson Cooper.

March 9, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

Right on the money.

March 9, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Alex Brandon

Undoubtedly the best interview Morgan has done. About halfway through, you could see that Sec. Rumsfeld figured out he was going to have to give some different answers to some differently put questions. While generally I have agreed in the past that he interviews over people; the style served him well with this guest who can be a little overbearing himself. The back and forth also stood Mr. Rumsfeld in good stead, as he was able to defend against some perceptions and ultimately came off as human.

March 9, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Ashlee

The worst interview Pierce has ever done. His constant interuptions and his complete lack of respect of Donald Rumsfeld made him appear immature and completely lacking in knowledge.

March 9, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Jane Albany,NY

I thought this was Piers' best interview to date. He challenged Rumsfeld & Rumsfeld responded cooly, calmly, & confidently. I have a new respect for Rumsfeld & a new appreciation for him as a real person. Piers' lack of understanding of the President as The Commander-in-Chief of the Army & Navy was blantantly obvious, however. His British roots were showing! He might want to do a bit more research before interviewing someone that stretches the perimeters of his league soon again..

March 9, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Cami

terrible interview...who cares what he thinks about Libya. He is a criminal! Period

March 9, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. www.jaxsprats.com

Not a good interview, interrupted his responses one time too many.

March 9, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Brian, Northern CA

I am absolutely disgusted that Bush people like Rumsfeld are even allowed to pollute our airwaves again. These people should not be given another voice; they are liars and hippocrates, and some of the worst agenda-driven people who have ever run this country. Thousands of American soldiers are now dead because of them; tens of thousands more have horrible life changing physical injuries, and hundreds of thousands have life-changing mental injuries Are the Bush administration people being rolled out to help shore-up the conservative base for the next elections? They all should have been tarred and feathered and put in the stocks for the couple of years after their termination of employment, not given the chance to make their all-too-well-known sinister views slathered all over our tv's again. Whats' wrong with you for putting up with this, America?

March 9, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack

I agree with you 100% and if anyone disagree's may God help you!

This is an evil man why didn't Piers ask some hard questions why did the building blow up?

Answer – "Well we needed a reason to start a war in Iraq as we are low on oil and need Iraq"

Why have you not found Bin Laden? – Answer we are working with him, mafia, cia, to control the world.

911 was an inside job! Wake the f up and be heard those buildings were brought down by demolition charges – please do some research.

People lost there house, boat, jobs, and they still like the Bush Administration Cult!??

Watch 911 in Plane Sight" You tell me where the plane hit the Pentagon, where's the wreckage, wheels, hole??

Whowever plannned this for a war, – nice job. What's next?? There should be better ways of getting oil?

March 9, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Paul

Piersis not a credible anchor, he interrupts his guests and insert his own opinions. It detracts from the honored guest on the show. Regardless of how one feels about Mr. Rumsfeld, Piers' demeanor was disrespectful and he didn't seem to grasp Rumsfeld's rather eloquent and clear positions. Please CNN do something to restore credibility to the midnight hour.

March 9, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. David @ San Jose, CA

In a way, it's almost unimaginable that Piers got this interview with Rumsfeld, as I actually think that the elder statesman should probably not give any more interviews. I saw the recent interview with Candy Crowley and thought he had embarrassed himself, whereas this one only made it worse. Now seeing this second interview with Pierce, I'm convinced that Rumsfeld is in a mental fog, even well after leaving office.

Indeed, I was thinking the same thing that Mike Gottschalk said in the above, wherein he states
    "The more I watched this, the more I saw this interview with an historical weight we've given to the Frost-Nixon interview." Maybe I was thinking this because I recently saw the New York Metropolitan Opera's "Nixon in China" (by John Adams, Alice Goodman and Peter Sellars). But, then I see I wasn't the only thinking this and also that it seems more significant than that.

This guy has been there through several decades and presidential cabinets; yet to him in such a confusing and nonsensical haze is painful. It's like he's trying to use his intellect and experience to explain away to others, but namely to himself, the absurd and unexplainable mistakes of the last decade. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's coming to grips with it, which could make him even worse a tragic figure than Nixon himself. In hindsight, this would not be too surprising, since Rumsfeld has crossed over beyond that original figure to so many presidents in the after. Indeed, Rumsfeld is one of the most visible and surviving threads throughout this era. Go figure...

March 9, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Helene

Piers, it is becoming increasingly difficult to watch your interviews. I feel like I am watching you interview yourself. Please let the guests answer and stop interrupting. Also, don't talk so much. We actually want to hear what the guests have to say.

March 9, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Cameron

After this interview I don't think I will watch this show again! I don't see how someone who has never done any kind of public service!

March 9, 2011 at 4:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. emperor270353

The audacity of Rumsfeld to look into the camera n lied about the Iraq war – to say that UN was agreeable to the invasion. In spite of the UN Inspector plea for more time as no WMD was uncovered during their visits..US unilaterally ( with Tony Blair on tow ) decided to invade Iraq. Hundreds of thousands of lives were lost and thousands more displaced whilst Rumsfeld/Bush/Blair is sleeping comfortable in their bed. Where is the accountability or is accountability only for poorer countries..??

March 9, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. dennis sandy

Thank you very much for nailing donald rumsfeld on the cross with those intelligent questions on this interview. you clearly and bravely finished him and you clearly displayed his unintelligence and it became clear that this guy is really talking non-sense . this guyz should be brought before the international court of justice for playing with people`s lives in iraq. i became very much interested in your questions directed towards him more than his baseless reply, i mean i just see him as a blatant lair. they fooled the world and they should be held responsible for that, they should be sent to the hague without parole. thanks piers cuz you are a very intelligent journalist.

March 9, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. curio6

this guy says he believes in accountability – what a joke..!! n he sleeps well at nite – that I believe – he has no conscious..!! beware ...there is something call RETRIBUTION...!!!!

March 9, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. HelenHull102951

AND GOOD CALL "DRE"!! You live by the gun, you die by the gun..

March 9, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. M. Pacheco

Mr. Morgan, I really enjoy your guests, but I'm very disappointed with your manners! You interrupt your guests each and every time... Your guests let you ask a question, but when it is time for than to answer it, you interrupt than, PLEASE, let than answer it before you say something rude or stupidy.

March 9, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. M. Pacheco

Piers Morgan perhaps CNN should hear the spectators!!! We are sick of your interruptions, It seems to me like you are not at the same level of your guests, JUST SHUT UP and LISTEN!

March 9, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. BB

I hold Piers Morgan in a new light after this interview. Yes, he did interrupt, but he had to as Rumsfield went on and on and had to be interrupted to explain himself. The questions were clever, probing and often caught Rumsfield out on his lies and prevarications. Just because he said it as it is does not mean disrespect. It's time for people to catch him out with all the havoc he wreaked with a complicit few) in this world. It's amazing that he is even getting to go on air and trying to absolve himself. He and Dick Cheney should be rotting in jail for all the destruction of American and Iraqi lives because of their own agenda (oil). If they are so concerned about regime changes, there are plenty of other countries that need to be invaded.

March 9, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  49. M. Barnhill

A masterful interview. This conservative has always been a fan of Donald Rumsfeld and I am now also a fan of Piers Morgan. This may be the best interview I've ever seen. I am not familiar with Morgan so I don't know if the disdain for Rumsfeld was completely sincere but it certainly seemed so. It certainly reflected the cartoonish evil monster the left has made of Runsfeld, a good man who did a hard and unpopular job keeping America and Americans safe. However the tone changed as the interview progressed, again I don't know if the softening was sincere or if the whole thing was an act on Morgan's part. The thing I do know is that this was a fair and incisive interview that allowed Rumsfeld an opportunity to fully express his thoughts and his knowledge.

I can't help but contrast Morgan's style with that of the ego tripping Bill O'Reilly who loves nothing more than the sound of his own voice trampling over the words of his "guests."

I hope Morgan will have an opportunity to interview Barack Obama and I hope he will be similarly incisive, brilliant and fair.

The interview was not a fencing match, it was a full blown sword fight. Bravo.

March 9, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Kelly

Piers – You're "out of your league" when speaking with/about important guests. You interrupt continually which makes it glaringly obvious a) you don't listen, and b) you have what appears to be a "list" of questions and when not responded to the way you think your guest should/will respond, you just choose to interrupt and insert your next question! You really shouldn't give up your day job. Too bad, I did have hopes for you, but after sticking my finger in my eye and causing myself pain, I will turn to another station for my "important" interviews!

March 9, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  51. gregd01

I've watched severl Piers Morgan shows now and have been quite impressed. However, the deep seated liberal viewpoints of Piers are clearly visible and most easily demonstrated through the interviews of Matt Damon and Rumsfeld. Piers was very contentious with Rumsfeld last night and belabored points that Rumsfeld had already spoken to. Rumsfeld is tough and I don't think Piers knew just how tough until he had to sit across the table from him and try his zingers out on a man that is used to having his way. Piers was clearly frustrated at several points because he couldn't land that knockout punch he was obviously searching for. The fact that he was even doing so says a lot. In contrast, his softball interview with Matt Damon was the exact opposite. Now I know that Matt Damon is an actor and that his decisions have not lead to lives lost but I was reminded last night about how Piers had Matt's latest costar on the set near the end of the show, who happens to be British, and they were all talking about how wonderful the healthcare system in the UK is and how Obama is basically trying to pull us bullheaded Americans into providing healthcare for all. There was no contention on cost or capability or illegals that will surely find a way to take part in it or anything else...it was just a big kumbaya moment for the joys of socialist medicine.

I see you Piers. I like you anyway, but you are as transparent as a window pane.

March 9, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Todd

Great interview...I'm glad someone finally asked the question on whether he could sleep at night!

March 9, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  53. carol

Good job Piers.
    You kept challenging Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney & company have so much blood on their hands. Not to mention their sanctioning of torture(oops! I mean 'enhanced interrogation techniques)I am sure Bush is glad Larry was still there when he was promoting his lies(I mean book). Since Larry was incapbable of asking a real or challenging question,

March 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. Mike

Wow. Morgan was outclassed. I'm not necessarily a Rumsfeld fan, but I have to say he ran circles around Morgan. Constantly having to clarify was the norm for Rumsfeld, because Morgan had already formed his opinions. Instead of listening to Rumsfeld, Morgan was continually thinking about what he was going to say next. This made the interview tiresome, and was embarrassing for Morgan. A piece of advice Piers: either stick to guests like Lady Gaga who have nothing to say, or take the time to actually prepare before an interview. Rumsfeld made you look like an amateur.

March 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • wildforwesties

I couldn't agree more. From what I've seen, Piers belongs on E!. Or else CNN has made a surprising turn in their programming and branding.

March 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  55. disappointed

I'm not a Rumsfeld fan, but with the way he was treated by Piers, I can't imagine that anyone worth watching will want to come on the show. Looks like there's not much to look forward to here except the Charlie Sheens of the world. Or, maybe Piers has just found the show's niche – the crowd that love reality TV and celebrity drama. His interview style is certainly a match. Oh well. There's something for everyone on TV (although less and less for me) and apparently this is the direction CNN is taking. Time to find something else to do with that hour.

March 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  56. terry

good stuff Piers-as Corporal Jones said, "They don't like it up them Captain Mannering."
    just read your book The Insider after my wife bought it years ago-great read. From now on when I face an editorial bouncer I will think "how would Piers play this?"

March 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  57. Jacklene

Dear Piers,

March 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

[Shame on you for you disrespecting a guy like Rumsfeld that serves the country for the last 60 years, worked for four presidents, and responsible for keeping the United States safe since 9/11 . Not once you acknowledged his extraordinary career for 60 years serving the country. And you blamed him over and over of US casualties in war. Tonight you finally showed your liberal side.]

For the last 60 years Rumsfeld has served an ultra right-wing ideology and agenda, not this country. He hasn't kept the United States safe since 9/11–he was one of the members of the cabal that lied us into a war that has gotten more Americans killed than died on 9/11. Our soldiers are just as American as our civilians. If the Bush cabal hadn't lied us into a war, those Americans would be alive, not dead (and don't forget all of our wounded soldiers). Are you capable of comprehending that? Dead is not safe. They took us to war with a country and people who did nothing to us, yet we killed them by the tens of thousands in their own country, for lies. Rumsfeld was one of those liars, and by his own volition, still is. He gets zero respect from me.
      I am proud to call myself a liberal. Make sure you don't file for Social Security insurance when you are old enough or become disabled. You may hate to see your conscience compromised by allowing yourself to participate in a liberal program.

March 10, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  58. Marina

I thought this was a terrible interview. The more i watch Piers interview the more annoyed i get watching. In this case he was disrespectful and as usual annoyingly cut Mr. Rumsfeld off throughout the entire interview. I like the concept/guests on the show but find the interview style hard to watch. Thats just me. I miss the classy style of Larry.

March 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  59. dre

donald rumsfeld was talking about regime change as a reason that they invaded saddam and the iraqis, my question is why didn`t they go to north korea, iran, zimbabwe etc..., rumsfeld even when he is drunk or sober will never try north korea, anyway north korea has no oil. bush`s and rumsfeld`s war(not americans) was purely for money, they misled the average americans as it was in their interest but NO, they went to LOOT(THESE GUYZ ARE NOTHING LESS THAN A BUNDLE LESS THAN FEW STICKS)

March 10, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  60. $am

New World Order

March 10, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  61. Illuminati memorandum

Illuminati memorandum

Thank you Donald, it was not easy ,to see you longer than 10 Minutes.
    You know my God, also has its rules.So you still have a little time
    you will follow Obolensky ... and your last days will be long sorry

in love Illuminati