Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

March 23rd, 2011

The Life Of Elizabeth Taylor: "Piers Morgan Tonight" Plans For This Evening

Following the news that Elizabeth Taylor has died, "Piers Morgan Tonight" will pay tribute to the screen legend with a full hour show at 9pmET/PT. Guests will include Larry King, Joan Collins, Carrie Fisher, Morgan Fairchild, Dick Cavett, Kenneth Cole, Carole Bayer Sager, Nick Clooney and much more.

Early this morning, Piers Morgan tweeted that Taylor was "one of the great movie stars of all time, on and off screen."

(Note: we will also have the latest updates from Libya, Israel and the rest of the international news as well.)

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Announcements
  1. Sarah

I wonder what Piers will ask her?

March 23, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bam

He will ask her the TOUGH questions. Larry king noted they keep using these words in relation to Morgan, but the guy is a butterfly..... He has that TOUGH look though....

March 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Piers... please play this amazing tribute to Elizabeth that was performed and written by Michael Jackson, her close friend of many years. This song is beautiful and would be nice to share with the viewers tonight, either as is or as a back drop in a video montage of Elizabeth. This is a special gem, especially today.
      RIP Dame Elizabeth.

March 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • joan

the article didn't say what she died of, isn't that bad reporting. I have only heard about her life all day, BUT WHAT DID SHE DIE OF?

March 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nancy

Jean, she died of congestive heart failure...

March 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nancy

Sorry, JOAN, I got your name wrong.

March 23, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • F,A-K.

Lots of respect for this lady ! But I thing spending a ONE HOUR show about a movie actress, regardless who is a real waste on ONE HOUR, when our world is going crazy and wars are happenings! There are important things going on! Don't waste ONE hour on this. I have to watch BBC now I guess..

March 23, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nina Fox

Such a beautiful tribute to Elizabeth Taylor. She was stunning, a wonderful actress and such a humanitarian. She will be missed. I am sure Michael Jackson has his hand extended waiting for her. Their love and friendship was a marvel.

March 24, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mary

Elizabeth Taylor is an amazing woman. It's too bad that Morgan is asking those dearest to her about her life....he is so withdrawn, detached and looks like he is reading from a prompter....Oh Larry come back!! Elizabeth Taylor would love you talking about her tonight!!!

March 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. topmotivationalspeakers

Love you Elizabeth... You will be always with me
    JP

March 23, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Call2Survive

beautiful young girl with a great voice

-–> http://www.youtube.com/user/evokesound#p/a/u/0/gl9K-H0JAb0

March 23, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aprille

Beautiful young girl, yes. But irritating voice.

March 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Head Diva In Charge

He jumped on that pretty fast. No wonder why Trump didn't fire him.

March 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

too bad that CNN couldn't fire him! Oh, I cannot wait until Dick Cavett's passing! Talk about drunks, at least her wigs were well done! They can just have one of his elevator shoes on the stage with a spotlight on it and a bad toupee! That will say it all for the little bald bitter has been! That entire show was a disgrace other than the first interview it was appalling. !

March 24, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CAnn

May God be with you Elizabeth. Love you forever!

March 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bam

which god?

March 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • phyllislynn

Obviously the one you are running away from BAM !

March 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nancy Mac

Which God? Are you asking that because she was Jewish? Jews and Christians have the same God...it's Jesus that is acknowledged by the religions differently.

March 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

I am amazed at the replies to a simple God Bless you Elizabeth. What a sad state when someone cannot post a simple comment that most everyone, except these truly sick people, understands. It is a common thing to say when someone passes on. To question "Which God" is truly disgusting. Shame on you! J am an atheist but I surely support someone that says something this poignant. In this country we do ave the right to express this without condemnation but this has to be one of those Westboro Baptist Church members that is waiting to board a flight to go protest her funeral. Shame on them as well. What a mean world we live in.

March 24, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Brad

What a bigger than life person!! She was one the very first to stand up against hiv and voice concern for those affected, for ignorance in understanding the disease. She can nevr be replaced! We love you Liz!

March 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kimmo

Yes Brad, she spent the last 30 years of her life with humanitarian work with great enthusiasm and actual results.
      THIS is also something that she deserves to be remembered of!!!

March 24, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Loraine Johnston

Michael Jackson turned her down.

March 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Misha Miller

Larry King should do the tribute, NOT Piers, for God's sake!!! Larry knew/interviewed Liz, NOT Piers!!!

March 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • free2drm

FYI...Don't know if you are interested, but I just found out that Larry King will be on FOX News tonight discussing Liz on the Hannity program. I believe it is going to take up the whole hour. It really is a sad day for those of us that love her.

March 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kimmo

I am sure that Piers will do / has done a great job. It is time for the guests to do the talking and I find it great that Piers is not biased.

March 24, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Qbee

Elizabeth * I loved You * You're More Than Just A Star To Me :~~(

March 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Brian

Pool table scene ... Montgomery Clift ... A Place in the Sun ... Never before or since ... perfection!

March 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Nancy

She was one of a kind...the great stars are leaving us alone with the wanna be "stars" of today and the REAL Hollywood is growing dimmer with each passing. I wonder though, will she be laid to rest next to her beloved Richard as she wished?

It will be terribly sad if she is not...

March 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kimmo

Yes Nancy, you are right. I do not know what is wrong with the stars of today or more likely is it the current system to blame.
      But Hollywood does not create "legends" or "icons" any more. The actors are all more or less ordinary people expected to earn money for the producers and waiting for the next job (if their latest film did bring money the chances are pretty good.). But as a whole, how depressing. No wonder that we talk about the "Golden Years" of Hollywood.

March 24, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Friend

While the band played on Elizabeth Taylor stood aginst HIV AIDS. Putting her star power on the line. What a strong Person!! You hae to remmember the 80's and what they were saying about aids to realize how strong she was to go out on that limb.
    Beautiful person inside and out...........

March 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Neil

Finally, an interview subject who won't mind the constant interruptions by Piers.

March 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Michelle Campbell

We should all learn from someone who gave so much to so many less fortunate than her, and she never expected anything back. Enjoy your paradise sweetheart.

March 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. kellyS

She will always be my cleopatra

March 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. nancy brown

R.I.P. Liz ur in better place tell michael Jackson hi n my little angel starniqua

March 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Khryssy

Rest In Peace Elizabeth. A true icon such as her will truly be missed. I only hope Pier's tribute to her will do her justice and not just another form of CRAP t.v.!!!!

March 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. PJ

Elizabeth Taylor would be disgusted that Piers Morgan was capitalizing on her. His show is a disaster.

March 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mary

You think his show is a disaster? Agree....a huge blunder for CNN who usually makes good choices. Tonight tops it off!!!

March 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kimmo

I do not understand you, sorry. Piers is British, Elizabeth spent most of her childhood in England, is (British) Dame Elizabeth etc. I can not see a better person to present this progamme.

March 24, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. TJinCNJ

Morgan Fairchild? For real? What could she possibly offer of value to a discussion about Liz Taylor?

March 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jeramy Louisville

I, as someone living with HIV am filled with sadness. I will remember, not a screen goddess, but a woman I never had the pleasure of meeting who saved my life, long before I became ill. Her selfless giving heart to those with HIV/AIDS made it possible for me to have life-saving medications. May the good Lord give her rest.

March 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

Bless you Jeremy and may you always know that there are people out there, just like Elizabeth, that care.

March 24, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kimmo

Thank you for your heartwarming message. Bless You Jeramy!!!!

March 24, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Laura

It's hard to imagine our world without her. She was the epitomy of all that comes with the deifnition of multifaceted blended with inner and outer beauty.
    So much a part of our culture, to say she will be missed is a true understatement.

March 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Charolette A. Brooks

As the song, Survivor, is performed....Dear Liz – You are a True Survivor! I have been a fan since my birth....and you will be missed. No one can EVER replace Liz Taylor!!!

March 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. pam

Liz Taylor is an icon of beauty, grace, elogance and humanity. She was an actress. She perfected her art and talent. No one will her replace her. RIP

March 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. lana

i live in germany and want to know when piers morgan will air in central europe!

March 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Dot

My mother who is 98 was a nurse at the Desert Hospital yrs ago. Elizabeth was a patient there & married to R.B. She was the most beautiful & nicest woman, when she left, she gave everyone who helped her a box of expensive chocs. That's who she was.

March 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. William DiFalco

first of all, may she of known the lord Jesus, and my thoughts and prayers to here family. she was a very compassionate caring and giving person and we will always miss her. on cnn she is described as a actor, last i new she is female, not male, a male actor is a 'actor' a female actress is a 'actress' please get it right. thank you.

March 23, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dick

Since you are such a stickler on facts, Ms. Taylor was Jewish not Christian although she acted with compassion just like your lord apparently did.

March 24, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Victoria

Goodbye to a wonderful, beautiful, talented icon. Rest in peace and know that you were very much loved by all of us. I am very sad with your passing.

March 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Ingrid G. Watson

On my 17th birthday we contacted Elizabeth Taylor at the Del Monte Lodge in Carmel where she was filiming 'The Sandpipers." We got through to her manager, and we were told to come to the set of 'The Sanpipers" to meet her for my birthday. My friends and I showed up and we were greeted in her trailor with "Happy Birthday.' We were her guests that weekend and were invited to see her for two days. Each time she spoke with us, and treated us in such a special way. She was a great lady who truly embodied the grace ahd humanity we will always love and remember.

March 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

Now that is the Elizabeth that I knew. She did this a lot. Feel very special you touched by not only greatness but by a caring and giving human! I was disgusted by the comments that little Dick Cavett said. We sat there shocked that someone would make that statement on the night of her passing. Maybe his toupee was on backwards and he was speaking out if his rear but truly that was uncalled for but the host did nothing but laugh. Real class act! Done with thiis show!

March 24, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. ronald

When you discuss Israel, even though we Americans chose to denounce violence, make sure to follow up upon why this violence materializes there, building more illegal settlements upon lands these settlements do not own breeds violence too.
    Israel can not have it both ways, stealing land and thinking folks will not uprise against them.
    Get rid of that mayor too

March 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dick

What does your comment have to do with the loss of Elizabeth Taylor? Weird!

March 24, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. remy

Today the world lost its lengenday queen of Hollywood
    but most important the gay community lost its best friend.
    Dame Elizabeth Taylor,thank you from the bottom of my heart for your compassion for others.
    God Bless!

March 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. lynda harmon

What a wonderful woman. And actress,loved her movies. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. So beautiful what a wonderful life. RIP

March 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Lori Imdad

Sad that another great ICON is gone. Elizabeth Taylor was a phenomenal woman, outstanding actress, and activist. Aside from all of this she was an amazing human being that the word, her family and friends will miss. Elizabeth Taylor may you rest in peace forever. Thank you Piers for allowing those who knew her best share their thoughts and feeling.

March 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Brenda

Elizabeth, you're not only beautiful outside, you're also beautiful inside. You'll have left a legacy.

March 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Kevin

Larry King and other mentioned that Ms. Taylor was the lack link to the Golden age of Hollywod. I believe that Mickey Rooney qualifies.

March 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Sharon W

Thank you, Piers Morgan for the lovely tribute to Elizabeth Taylor. Her acting, talent, beauty surpasses any actress today. She was the last of Movie Icon Giants that will never be replaced. My prayers are with her family, close dear friends in her passing. I remember reading in the movie magazines of her life and how popular she was and her beauty with the fans. She was quite stunning in her appearance, Always!!
    She's healed and ready for what heaven has for her.

March 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Marie

I was disgusted with Dick Cavett's comment that they were drunks and smoked heavily. I use to really like him, but why say something like that? His tone was so judgemental and condemning. I personally never wanted to be Elizabeth Taylor, did he?

March 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

We all sat there shocked beyond belief. His comments were just so disgusting and inappropriate but then again it is this little man that has such a big mouth and a bad hairpiece. I hope that this show gets canceled it is really terrible, bring back Larry or give it to someone that would not allow such rude comments to be made by a giant has been on the eve of someone's death./ Elizabeth drank and smoked for years indeed but to call someone a drunk is inappropriate. I can't wait to see what names they call this little troll when he finally does the world a favor and leaves, although he has been in outer space for a while now!

March 24, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Minerva

Elizabeth Taylor was the last of the gusty, galmorous Dames.

March 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Mona

God this man, Piers Morgan is a boring. I tried to watch it tonight because of Elizabeth, but just can't watch him any longer. BORING!

March 23, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  39. MadamDeal

@Marie – I too was disgusted and appalled by Dick Cavett's insensitive, inappropriate remark. Coming five minutes before the end of the show, he derailed the mood and tone of the remembrance. I thought he was sophisticated and intelligent but his comment showed an unforgivable lack of decorum.

March 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Lori in Ma

Larry would have had a lot of class tonight paying tribute to an exceptional actress & human.
    I hardly ever watch Piers he asks ignorant questions & he was disrespectful tonight. I tuned in for Larry almost every night for 25 years, I switched the channel when Piers commented/asked that it seemed as though Elizabeth had a problem with growing old as if it was because she was vane, no she's had many heath problems for the last few years that limited her ability to be the independent person she was. . I'm 48 and have had back problems for 10 years & I get frustrated when I want to do something that I know will put me down for a day or two.

Thank You Elizabeth for who you were not just your acting ability ~ RIP

March 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Deborah

Marie I was also disgusted with Dick Cavett's inappropriate comments....Elizabeth Taylor was so much more than those flippant crass words.....to bad he was invited.......I adored her films and her endless work through her foundation AMFAR....she will be missed by millions who adored her art in films and by millions for her humanitarian works.......very sad day....

March 24, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • David Clinton

Deborah was right on the mark. Several people, especially Dick Cavett were nothing more than add-ons who really didn't know her. Why he and Morgan Fairchild were present was shocking and an insult. Shirley McLaine or Carol Burnett absolutely but no where to be seen. No prep work, as I see it.

March 24, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barbra

I applaud your comments. Mr. Cavett is again inappropriate but so was this show. His toupee is likewise inappropriate but when you are 5 feet 3 you tend to be inappropriate. Mr. Cavett has the correct first name though!

March 24, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  42. OMG

Is the rumor true that the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) plans to protest Elizabeth Taylor's funeral/memorial because of her charity work for AIDS research (AMFAR)?

March 24, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Andre

When is CNN going to cancel this pustule of a show and send Piers packing? It’s completely unwatchable.

March 24, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. tammi

She was a women that was strong when it came to men did not worry about them .

March 24, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  45. jaye

Cavett's comments were dead on. They were not directed at Ms. Taylor but rather people unimaginative enough to think that a life of studio induced drug and alcohol problems, was glamorous. She was beautiful but tragic. Alcohol was a tremendous part of her life and that was what Cavett was saying. He was not insulting. The man knows problems. He is a survivor of depression. Alcohol is an attempt to self medicate. It is a danger and a killer. She married eight times. That is dysfunctional. She married other women's husbands and alcoholics. It was as if she sought tragedy after Mike Todd's horrible death. Her best friends were gay men who were themselves very unhappy. She lived with a lot of illness and death near her. Very, very sad and that was Cavett's meaning. Anyone would not want that dysfunctional life and it is a mistake to think you do–that is what Cavett meant.

March 24, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Mark

if we have seen it once its too many times..if you have to be with someone who is chemically influenced 15 minutes is too long..many sweet sweet people have fallen into the trap..I admire anyone who can speakup, though the timing was a little off..Liz lived a very conflicted life..We should remember her Beauty and the Goodwill she try to embrace mixed with her Dark struggle.Lets all try to stay in balance..Learn observe do better...

March 24, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Richard

Little Dick Cavett's comments were shocking but then again so was his hairpiece! May we all remember this "Giant" Superstar not only for her incredible work, her two Academy Awards BUT the compassion, the bravery and the work she did for HIV/AIDS. Little Dick will be known for being canceled several times!

March 24, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Sharon Christal

Hello Piers,

Has anyone ever asked Elizabeth Taylor what she said when Richard gave her the Hope Diamond?
    Love the comment from Elizabeth in her book "My Love Affair With Jewelry" about Mike Todd, that he left her a legacy of love and that she had been astonishingly lucky in love.

Sharon

March 24, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Mike

Fine show on Ms. Taylor. But, I wished my daughter hadn't heard Piers and Joan Collins joking about who had more divorces. My daughter looked at me eyes-peeled and said, "How many did they say Dad?" I told her that some people just aren't cut out for marriage but marry and marry and marry over and over. It's kind of sad when we accept divorce, particularly as many as (bless her) Ms. Taylor went through.
    I'm just gonna sit back now and just wait for someone to post a comment about, "Oh, how I should loosen up on the divorce thing." 🙂

March 27, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Monica

Cavetss comments were probably true but not appropriate for a tribute to a very recently deceased iconic star.

March 27, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  51. Gary

Thanks for the show on Elizabeth Taylor. You did a very good job. I would like to point out one thing. Yes with her passing a BIG piece of Hollywood history and greatness has been lost. BUT she is not the last. I beleive that there is one more GREAT Hollywood legend left. Perhaps you have heard of her? Olivia De Haviland is still alive! However, Elizabeth was larger than life, we must, or should not forget Ms. De Haviland!

March 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  52. Angie in Ireland

I did not see this particular show, mentioned on here, but I did see the following piece:

I watched *DICK* Cavette on CNN with Anjali Rao, Wednesday 23rd; Anjali Rao talked to him via satellite regarding the life of Elizabeth Taylor. During the interview, Anjali Rao eventually mentioned Michael to Cavette – regarding the similarities / things in common Michael and Elizabeth Taylor had.

At this point I noticed that DICK Cavette began to be adjust his earphones – while at the same time, having a surprised expression on his face; he asks Anjali Rao something like, “Did you just mention Michael Jackson – I just had to adjust my earphones – I thought I was hearing things”

Okay, I didn’t take much notice of that, and he goes on to say that they had a few things in common – mainly focusing on the kinds of childhoods both of them had and I tuned back to my PC, though still listening…

However…THEN, he finishes off by saying “…They had a lot in common, though she wasn’t a paedophile”.

She carried on with the interview, which had now moved away from the subject of Michael. She carried on in a friendly manner – smiling /giggling the odd time. She probably felt it was the best thing to do.

I am sick of their ignorance, and how these kinds of people, (remember Kelvin Mackenzie’s TV rant on MJ), are allowed to just say these kinds of things on TV networks – ESPECIALLY unfounded, slanderous rants about another person – and yet not be reprimanded by them in some way.

Cavette, you are as ignorant as they come – a complete moron and part of the tabloid sheep who merely digests what the tabloid-style media has fed you over the years. And in this case, not intelligent and unbiased enough to go and do some thorough research on the backgrounds of BOTH allegations.

You, along with the likes of Mackenzie and King – only serve to highlight the lack of intellect and common sense which some of you profile figures are totally void of.

From now on I will refer to you as DICK-head Cavette – only in this case it is not slanderous/unfounded – it is very befitting, because I have witnessed the proof, first hand.

March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  53. Donald

Piers missed the marked. He missed an opportunity to help his show. He was detached and was more interested is insulting Joan Collins marriages when he was supposed to be giving homage to someone special. I know Piers knows when to spot someone who has star quality; He may very well know he does not have the star quality for this show.

March 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  54. [tennis pro|tennis professional|tennis guru|tennis celebrity|more tennis|about tennis|all about tennis|about|source|more]

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely vast for me. I'm taking a look ahead on your next post, I'll try to get the dangle of it!

November 30, 2012 at 6:03 am | Report abuse | Reply