Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

April 20th, 2011

Clips from Last Night: Deepwater Horizon widow on pending lawsuit; BP "pay czar" on denied claims

One year ago today, The Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico. Last night, Piers Morgan spoke with Shelley Anderson, a Deepwater Horizon widow, Kenneth Feinberg, the man in charge of the BP compensation fund, and others in an effort to shed some light on the progress being made in the Gulf.

Anderson is trying to get some answers out of Transocean, the company that owns the rig. "Transocean has filed a lawsuit against me and my children," Anderson said. "These lawyers [they've assigned] in New Orleans don't know me... They don't have my best interest at heart."

Anderson's attorney, Ernest Cannon, is on her side as he helps her to work through the case. "[As opposed] to living up to their responsibility to these widows," Cannon said, "they chose to hide behind a 160 year old law that was designed to protect shipping interests 160 years ago, not to protect a Swiss corporation."

> Update: Transocean tells "Piers Morgan Tonight": "The claim that Transocean is suing any of the widows or families of those lost in the accident is baseless and simply not true."

Transocean gave "Piers Morgan Tonight" this exclusive statement in response: "Nothing is more important to Transocean than its people and their families. That core value of the company is the driving principle behind our efforts to reach amicable financial agreements with those who lost loved ones while continuing to provide them full pay and benefits. And today, we will be gathering with these families privately to commemorate the loss of those courageous men one year ago.”

In June of 2010, Kenneth Feinberg was appointed by the government to run the $20 billion fund to pay claims for the BP oil spill. So far, only $3.8 billion has been handed out. Feinberg says about 350,000 claims have been denied so far. "I will not accept a claim where a fisherman or a shrimper or anybody in the Gulf says, 'trust me, trust me when I tell you this is what I've lost.'"

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. James F. Morrisroe

Piers you asked good questions of BP and his own cost of living expenses..yet I would think one could ask, "What is his cut of the money that is not payed out to the greving partys?"

April 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cdorg

James, if you're talking about Kenneth Feinberg: Remember he said his salary was $850 THOUSAND a WEEK and now he's earning $1.025 MILLION A WEEK, YES I SAID EVERY WEEK HE MAKES THAT KIND OF MONEY! No wonder he's so fussy who gets their fair share, if he holds out long enough, he'll get the whole 20 BILLION in his back pocket! He's pretty good at sniffing out MONEY! The President of the U.S. doesn't make that kind of money. Tell me he doesn't have connections. I was surprised to hear he use to work for Ted Kennedy. I heard leaders from New Orleans on CNN and they don't like Kenneth Feinberg at all!

April 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • cdorg

I saw this program on Pierse Morgan (CNN) last night and Kenneth Feinberg admitted to the salary he makes. They didn't have that part on the clip above, but he does make that kind of money, which I think is way too much! How can President Obama justify him making that much money!

April 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Frank

Thats not his salery. Thats the cost of thousands of employees in hundreds of offices try to keep the good old LA boys from turning a $67k a year fishing business into $210 worth of claims

April 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • james f. morrisroe

yes the Ken gets paid, but does he get commision on the amount not paid out of the 20 billion settlement also. Is what I mean being paid on both ends of the deal salary plus commision on the money left upaid out of the 20 billion puts in question motive for hanging on to the total purse so tight o so tight!! just a question.. Insurance companys are doing all the paying

April 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

Let me guess. The widows turned down an offer and now are crying poor. "They wont pay us!!!".

I'm sure they would turn down $1 mil each. Probable $100 mil each. I bet they figure they should get $1 bil each and , as long as it doesn't come from your listeners pockets they would area.

April 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cdorg

I wish those girls would've admitted to what they want, now everyone will be guessing. I know BP's pockets were/are real tight when it came to the people who helped clean up that mess. BP still hasn't paid the people to clean up their boats. I don't live down there, but I feel sorry for what they are going through. Why do you think oil prices are going up...those oil companies stick together...we're paying for the clean up with the higher prices. They increased the oil production coming out of Iraq because of Libya so they can't make that as an excuse. Time to step up the algae production to make fuel. Oil companies don't want that to happen until they get their nose in that industry to control it. Another idea instead of using corn to make ethanol, (plus it raised food prices) how about growing switch grass between the interstate highways instead of the weeds that grow there now. Local farmers have the equipment to cut it and they could get paid to do it. Switch grass makes better ethanol anyway. The ethanol plants are already built to do the conversion. Now that land is a waste and we pay state workers to keep it trimmed. I bet nobody ever thought of that idea!

April 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandra

Transocean is playing the wait out game. They have money to tie things up in litigation so that a mother trying to raise kids on her own has no choice but to settle. Transocean isn't making offers because they don't have to and the longer they wait, the more desperate the families become. In addition to severely limiting damages, the maritime law Transocean is hiding behind, also prevents punitive damages.

April 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Taylor Hoffner

Frank, these women WOULDN'T BE widows (whose children have lost their fathers) without BP/Transocean/Halliburton's complete disregard for worker safety. And by the way, "blowout preventer" is a complete misnomer. This vile industry wants the world to think they know what they are doing and spare no expense to ensure worker and environmental safety. Take at look at Frontline's indepth report on BP; the corporation has a history of plants blowing up, workers killed, communities devastated going back 40 years. They're cheap and care nothing for human life. Forget money settlements, these criminals belong in JAIL.

April 26, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Serena Olsen

Thank You Thank You Mr. Morgan for bringing light again to this horrible disaster in the Gulf! People tend to forget the magnitude of what has happened! My heart hurts to hear the courageous widows tell their stories of the loss of their husbands. Transatlantic should be GENEROUS in making sure that these women and their families will be living in comfort forever! It is disgusting to hear that Transatlantic is suing them!!!!! They are so evil and greedy! We cannot forget about what has happened and the damage that has been done! It must be fixed! The truth is, we have ALL been affected by the spill! Truly, BP, at the very least, needs to keep shelling out money to these communities worst hit, until the people living there and working there are on their feet again and prospering! Who cares about proof! Obviously anyone who lives in these communities and worked in the water were affected!!!! No matter how much they give, they can never fully repair the horrendous damage they have caused! The CEOS should not be giving themselves bonuses! If someone is getting over 1 million a month to resolve these issues, he shouldn't be still trying to figure out what to do! But hey, he wants to take as much time as possible, since every month is another Million for him! How SICK!!!!! Where is Obama??? He is always preaching that he wants to help the poor and the hard working!!! Piers, I do not watch CNN because I feel like they are bias in so many ways. However, I watch your show every night because I feel that you ask EVERYONE hard questions and I truly appreciate that! You might have a bias one way another about a guest, but at least you are open with your feelings! You have a good heart and I feel like you speak for most people! Simon Cowell says, that his talent is knowing what people want to see on TV, because what he likes, most everyone else seems to like too. I feel you have a great talent in asking the questions that WE want to know!!!! When you ask tough and provocative questions, you are brave and you don't back down! At the same time, you are also respectful and kind to your guests! That takes a lot of talent! I am so impressed with you! I love your show and I think that you are the BEST interviewer EVER! You blow Larry King away and just barely beat out O'Reilly!!!! You could tell that Oprah was impressed with you too! Thank You for all that you do!!!! You not only interview celebrities and politicians and ask them great questions, that we all want to know...but you also inform us about what is going on in the world! You hold people accountable for their actions, you bring out the TRUTH! You let us know how you feel about it, but in the end, you know that we are intelligent enough to let us the viewer, make our own decisions! Keep up the great work! You are a great man and you are contributing in a huge, positive way to society!!!!! THANK YOU and GOD bless you to continue your show for a very long time!!!!! By the way, I loved your interview with Sheen and Trump! I'm awaiting an interview with Sarah Palin!

April 21, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse | Reply