Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 20th, 2011

Piers Morgan takes CNN viewers behind-the-scenes at "America's Got Talent": "It's a snapshot of American culture"

Piers Morgan is a busy guy – besides hosting his nightly show on CNN, he also remains a judge on the hottest show of the summer, "America's Got Talent." Last week he took us behind-the-scenes at a live taping – discussing how he balances both shows, what "America's Got Talent" says about America and his ongoing feud with fellow judge Howie Mandel.

"It's a snapshot of American culture, and that's why I like it so much," says Piers. "Ordinary people who do extraordinary things." As for those who say a "serious newsman" shouldn't be a talent show judge?

"Most people's lives are a mixture of serious and not so serious," Piers says. "People who get all pompous about, 'oh a serious newsman shouldn't be judging piano playing pigs,' should just get a life. Everyone does silly things in their lives, I like doing that, and occasionally on this show you get these amazing talents that come out of nowhere."

As for balance, Piers says it's a "weird" time during the summer, because "at the precise moment I'm on CNN on-air, I'm also doing this." Watch the behind-the-scenes video above, and see what Piers calls "attempted murder" on Howie Mandel.

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Beatrice Fitch

I would happily watch many more Piers Morgan 9 PM. programs if he would just let his guests answer his questions before he interrupts them. It is SO frustrating when you really would like to hear what they have to say but, instead, you only get to hear half of what they want to say because Pier Morgen needs to show off his oh-so-clever questions and comments ....

July 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • J Eckenrode

I completely agree with Beatrice's comment. Larry King showcased the guest. Piers showcases himself. He is not an interviewer. Drives me crazy and drives me away from watching him.

July 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. David Earp

Piers in UK is popular, but not with me. On Britains Got Talent he showe he lacked it. His interviews are sometimes insightful. But he's not best at talk shows when it comes to hearing his guests.

July 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Susan

Let's put an AMERICAN in Mr. King's former spot and let's put more AMERICANS in ""AMERICA'S' Got Talent" ... What's up with this?

Our AMERICAN people need jobs ...

July 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Susan

And, that includes Access Hollywood and commentary on U.S. business and stock market as well ...

July 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Vuki

Upper income people must pay more tax because they use societal goods more. Every dollar they earn has a social cost associate with it-roads, fire department, police, education and so on is used more by the wealthy than low income persons so they must pay a user fee for that benefit.

July 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Howard

Tonight the consensus is that America needs more jobs. Just put Boone Pickens on the air. HR 1380 which has bi-bipartisan support is just sitting in committee. This bill will create 500,000 jobs right away. Also, put the president of the petroleum industry on the air to talk about the Pan Canada pipeline from Canada to Texas.

July 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. kkalio

I agree with comments above – Given the state of the economy in the U.S., why do we have Piers Morgan all over U.S. TV when he is a Brit and hasn't paid his working dues here in the U.S. like so many other qualified broadcasters??? Not to mention he is HORRIBLE and annoying!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jerry

I have to wonder why Piers, you and CNN interview Donald Trump? The guy is a so conceded and into himself. He is boring and not a good guest. After all the crap he has said and done, its just amazing to me that you would ask him for his views. Like your show!

July 21, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Weronika

Normally I don't read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your wtriing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice article.

March 5, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mohamed

Karl,Thank you for sharing this with ervnyoee. Your strength shines through as you speak up, on behalf of yourself and others who've survived. Breaking that silence and speaking up is what helps to stop that.btw I've done a guest writer post' and have linked this post to it. Once it is posted on this other person's site, I'll let you know.I, along with the many other commenters above, have been deeply touched by this.~ZZ

June 28, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Modhu

I would prefer to tnkhas for the efforts you have made in composing this post. I am going for exactly the same best function from you inside the long term at the same time. Actually your fanciful producing abilities has prompted me to begin my very own blog now.[]

June 30, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. evelynmoh

I'm having a hard time believing the leader of Scotland Yard - and his staff - are that naive and stupid. It is forcing me to the conclusion that they were (and are) in bed with Murdoch. http://bit.ly/oiitQW

July 21, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Pam

Piers you are great !! Even Larry King said you were dangerous. Only thing is I am in South Africa and yr show is supposed to be on 9 pm often it's not send a complaint CNN just keeps the news going.You have got better and better. Larry is a hard act to follow

July 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Boomer

Deep thinking – adds a new dmenision to it all.

January 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kllexxhydyo

ux12oo mxxfjtypcqjx

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • rdtzmw

BN4Odc lqkosakacggk

January 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Susan

Why would WE (in the U.S. of A.) tolerate a "News Reader" who would continuously criticize the culture, the customs and the governs of our beloved country? If you don't like it ... please leave ... and, why did you leave you country in the first place?

July 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. crisismaven

Anyone like Susan Boyle in the offing yet?

July 25, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. john Hynes

Ret he Arab spring. The youth of the Arab nations in revolt have enormous courage and an obivious sense of justice. Too bad the soft affluent and deluded youth of America could not display such guts in the face of the corrupt mean spirited crew in washington and elswhere, such as greedy corporations etc.

September 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jette

WOw, I would have lost it !! That is so sad. I homeschooled mine uabecse of asthma in the beginning. The school itself was making my child ill.

March 3, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Yusuke

I don't think anyone with any brnias is expecting it to be free. After all, I paid for my Medicaid with my taxes. But I'd be willing to bet that if I gave the government my current premium for a medicaid like program, I wouldn't have to pay $50 specialist copays and a $500 hospital deductible. There is a huge difference in cost when you reduce a 20% overhead to 3%.

June 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitsanu

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you doaolnwd it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. With thanks

June 28, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse | Reply