Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 28th, 2011

Dan Pfeiffer on finding a solution: "The deal is not that hard"

Piers Morgan talked with White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer earlier to learn how he thinks Congress will solve the debt crisis. "The clock is ticking but there is still time," he said. Pfeiffer doesn't think the deal is very hard. He is hopeful there will be a solution before the August 2 deadline. "We need to make sure we're not having this exact same fight five months from now over the Christmas holidays."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers Morgan Live
  1. Ro Hale

Piers, I really would like to see more push back when interviewing Republicans. You can ask tough questions, and you do, but you often leave a Repub' with the last, and mostly crassly blatent untruth. GOP'ers are being being allowed to make obvious manipulative and untrue statements about the president (they hardly refer to Democrats any more). They acuse Obama of not wanting a second look at the 'ceiling' in 6 months, as a campaign trick, but the trick IS THEIRS. They want it , so they can blame Obama. Also, they always say, "The American people want..." as if they are doing their will. Remind them that the MAJORITY of American people thing that taxes should be raised! That's what is holding everything up!!

July 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Patricia Carter

Piers, I think you have it exactly right. The Republican party cannot get their collective act together and it seems to be de-railing everything. I want a balanced approach with spending cuts along with tax reform for the top 2% wealthiest Americans. I pay taxes...why can't they? We all have to give and the Republicans need to quit protecting the Rich and start protecting all Americans. They are there to represent all Americans; not just the wealthy. Their political ideology is going to destroy the American economy.

July 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Harry

It's amazing we somehow avoided a revolution during the great recession/theft of the american people, during the last theft of a whole society. Here we are again and I would doubt very much these sorry people will achieve the same result as the last outcome without a revolt of the people! If these clowns ruin the people who voted them into power I would suspect some very very bad outcomes! Revolt in the streets would be my prediction!

July 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dianne93101

WH Plan A : Accuse GOP Plan B: Blame GOP

July 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

The GOP is doing a fine job of blaming each other with no help from the White House. Boehner can't get agreement from his own party and the Tea Party is so ignorant they really don't think any of this will effect the economy. The greatest portion of our spending has been the war and best I recall it was a Republican by the name of Bush that lead us there.

July 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • LibelFreeZone

Please provide credible evidence that "The greatest portion of our spending has been the war..." Thank you.

July 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lucy Zubek

It clearly appears that in order to come to some sort of compromise, either the debt sailing needs to be raised or tax increased along with the pay cuts. Unfortunately, thus far neither, Congress, Senate nor President proposed spending cuts. There are plenty of options to consider but regrettably none of the above parties have taken these options into the consideration. Check the save award site to opt such options.

July 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Billy Ray

Your interview tonight with Administration communications director didn't question the fact that the run up in debts in the last two years of Obama's administration is giagantic compared to any years prior. Instead, you simply nodded your head about the cost of the wars and tax cuts. You are pandering to the left. We are trying to rein in this out of control spending in Congress, plan and simple.

July 29, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Frank Hills

Piers,,,great job

Here is an idea...cut all spending by 4-8 percent across the board. Raise taxes on the wealthy corporate leaders and high rollers by a certain percent to offset accordingly. Any other combo of cuts would mean lower and middle class lose their jobs/incomes. by all means stop all free hand outs to all non americans and consider the entire budget plan in the future when deciding to pass future funding instead of passing funding wearing blinders..oh yea maybe cut all of the overpaid politicians across the board...thanks

July 29, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Linda Boysel

Congress should be on commission only. They meet goals they get paid. Until then no pay for them. How do you like that for cutting spending?

July 29, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • LibelFreeZone

Your plan would work, too, Linda. Pay-for-results is used in many industries with good outcomes.

July 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lizabeth

How come no one blames big corporations for laying off millions of people and sending jobs over seas? that is why we can't collect tax dollars. stop blaming the hard working over taxed unappreciated Americans

July 29, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Cheryl

We in Canada are watching this debacle in the US in horror that the politicians are willing to allow their country to default and cause utter mayhem as we see it. But it seems you all are not seeing what we here are seeing and Pierce said it clearly. If the US was to default on its obligations it would be a first in the history of the country and would be a total embarrassment for the ruling president. But THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE REPUBLICANS WANT!! The Tea Partiers and those far right wingers want exactly that. Then they will use it as political fodder in the upcoming election. We're shocked that no one is seeing this. It is all horrible politics that there are those who are so callous that they would put politics before their country. What a shame!!

July 29, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. stan bagwell

O Piers, just hack their phone and find out... if all that's true!!!! U may wanna go home....unless that gets you in trouble.

July 29, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Erik H.

What the hell got into Morgan tonight? He was unnecessarily insulting to Sen Schumer and Dan Pfeiffer. Being snarky does not equal journalistic objectivity. Dig a little deeper, Piers, and have a little intellectual honesty. The two sides are not being equally reasonable or responsible, but your loyalties seem to lie with the big bucks.

July 29, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • LibelFreeZone

That's Morgan's MO, to be snarling, rude and condescending to those he doesn't agree with. When he's not doing that, he's hacking into the phones of the rich and famous. Blood sport for profit. What else is new?

July 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Robin

Thank you! I have only recently stumbled upon your work, Mr. Morgan. I haven't watched television regularly for several years. Recently that has changed. About three weeks ago I watched you judge a couple of AGT shows. While on some levels you seem severe, I could also see the seriousness with which you approached the fiduciary aspect, of granting winners $1M. And subjecting us to worthy viewing.
    Then I stumbled across your talk show. I enjoyed the interview with Eva L. last week. Having earned an M.A. in Activating Social Change when I was 52 years young, I enjoy people who like school. She was very open with you; I find you seem to be trustworthy and integrous.
    Now this evening, I have off-and-on enjoyed your interviews about the debt-ceiling vote. I love that you asked if they would all resign if the bill didn't pass in time!
    I am so disappointed and bored with this one-dimensional excuse for an economy, for a government. Seems like the folks in charge cannot even single-task, let alone multi-task. Of course, I think I would make an excellent dictator for the U.S.A.
    Every time I listen for 5 minutes, I have to write some remark about the wacky statements I am hearing. Dan Pfeiffer mis-identified the problem. He said the problem is is that the government is divided. More accurate would be that THE GOVERNMENT IS DIVIDED FROM THE PEOPLE. We need a lot more representatives in DC. There should have been more reps for each state as our populations have grown. It should be very, very large right now, not runnable by so few.
    Anyway, Mr. Pfeiffer also said that President Obama feels for us, the people. What a crock of crap! His wife has a staff, he has a staff. In what way can he identify with the average American? On which day, at which minute, does he wait on himself, do his own phone answering, filing, bill-paying and cleaning up after dinner? Does he have a 45-minute wait in the doctor's office waiting room? On what level can he, or any member of Congress or the Cabinet, identify with any average American daily experience? That is the first delusion, the one that feeds all the others.
    I heard an interesting interview last week about legalizing marijuana. A reporter asked a Congressperson something about, if it is legal won't the demand go way up? The Congressman did all he could not to laugh. He replied that most people who want to smoke pot already do. What's the point, besides to support the prison-industrial complex, which keeps the money out of the hands of the lower classes. It is a class war, above all.
    What kind of society drives its members to drugs and violence, anyway? When asked what he thought of western civilization, Gandhi reportedly replied, ":I think it is a good idea." Glad to see I am not the only one still waiting for us to do this. . .
    In case anyone is interested, I wrote a new pledge. Here it is::
    NEW CENTURY PLEDGE
    I pledge allegiance to Mother Earth,
    And to the life-force which she supports;
    One planet, full of diversity,
    With cooperation, integrity, and participation for All.
    If liberty and justice were working, I wouldn't have felt a need, now would I???
    Thank you for this forum, and for your straightforward style.
    Peace and Fun,
    Robin
    matriot & earthling

July 29, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Pete & Sue

I find that the constant drone of the Republicans about the debt being Obama's fault. Why Don't you do some actual reporting and looki up the facts. 10.3 trillion of the debt is atributable to directly to Bush years. That includes the 2 wars, the tax cuts, medicare pill bill, and othere expendituresa. If Obama had not spent a dime the debt would now be up to 12.7 trillion. As to compromise, this requires something given from each side to the other, not something given to themselves as the republicans keep claiming. The Republicans have become obstructionists,in particular the tea party segment, and to allow to spew their untruths without question is ludicrous and doesn't come close journalistic review.
    Pete & Sue

July 29, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Grant

Piers – I enjoy your show, especially a perspective from outside this country. I think the people in the US need a real understanding about social policies of other countries and how they can improve or enhance US social policies. I am a firm believer that health care is a right and not a priviledge. Hence, universal health care is a key towards managing health care costs and improving the health of our nation. Many Americans have a false impression about how universal health care works and its impact on individuals receiving the care they need when they need it. When one comapares the health statistics and number of financial bankruptcies resulting from uninsured or underinsured patients one might conclude that our private insurance system does not work. Oh, Medicare is a form of universal health care!

Thanks for your show!!!

July 29, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Patricia

I'm impressed that the Canadians can so clearly see what Americans seem to be missing. This is all about politics. The Republicans want to make sure that Obama does not succeed at anything at the cost of the American people and the American economy. This isn't rocket science. There are plenty of areas where we can cut and there is a lot of room for tax reform to grow the revenue. Again, I don't understand why the Republicans continually protect the top 2% wealthiest Americans by insisting they shouldn't have to reform tax laws that allow millionaires and billionaires to pay zero taxes. I pay taxes and most Americans do, so why can't the wealthiest.

Anyway, the Republicans have strong armed their way to no compromise, right? They have two proposals that include NO TAX INCREASES at all and they still can't pass either of the proposals. They are the party of NO, not only to the Democrats, but also to their own party and the American people. We need to roll out in droves and vote them out of office. They have failed to do the job we elected them to do and pay them to do. They are a dismal failure.

July 29, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. debbie

AGT lost a viewer this year, you guys picked some of the most stupid and boring acts to the 48 group and then when you picked splash over magician, this show is suppose to be talent and your team passed up some awesome TALENT
    I will post on AGT if I can, found this comment section for you

July 29, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Sue Michaels

A Canadian, I am watching this debacle take place in Washington with disbelief. The thought arises, "It's all about 'Dem"...(and I mean both Reps and Democrats) . Whatever happened to caring about America? Both parties should have a common goal about survival from this mess. Could it be that the Dems are using this crisis following the epic loss of House seats last year to strong arm and veto anything the Reps do with an eye on 2012, believing this will somehow 'save' them? While America goes down...? Uh, don't think so. Both parties need to realize this is not about the American sandbox and Dems vs. Reps – but about the frighteningly real dangerous impacts this is having and ithe economic destruction ahead if this 'game' cotninues. Wake up, Washington. As a wise saying goes – "A house divided against itself will not stand..."

BTW...Piers – thank you for being one of the first journalists and anchors in way too many years....who astutely and professionally delivers news coverage as it should be – unbiased and calling the tough ?s in every corner of the ring. Your program is a rare and refreshing scirocco in the wake of eons of 'hot air'. Thanks again!

July 29, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sherry

The situation we are having now in our government, is absolutely mind boggling. We have children running our government and it scares me to death. How embarrasing it is that these children don't even try to come to any kind of agreement on how to get the US out of trouble. It is scarey how the parties are acting, certainly not true Americans. They are only out to make themselves look good, when actually they are acting really stupid and certainly not thinking of the people who they are hurting. I hope none of them get re-elected to their positions. I'd rather not vote at all than vote for such selfish people. I've prayed for them and at this point they need to pray for themselves. I wonder if they ever do that....Take the Tea Party out of all this and maybe the Dem;s and Rep's can come to agreement. Come on, let's be the America we are supposed to be. Why shouldn't these big companies pay taxes like the middle and poor class of people have to do?

July 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • J.mckenna

Good comment, except the very poor do not pay any income tax at all. I hope that wealthy people like Piers, Barrack Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelossi, Al Gore, Hillary and Bill Clinton, and thousands of other very rich Democrats take your advice and pay their fair share of taxes, but if they don't,maybe they can give some of their massive wealth to the poor and oppressed in the spirit of Giving Back ! By the way do you think it's a good idea to get all politicians from all parties to list their assets, holdings, perks, benefits, and pension information so we the American people can determine how much they should give back ?

July 30, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • PC

Yes, I think they should all have to publish their assets as well as their key contributors. I also think the first cuts that should take place should be the salaries and benefits of Congress and retirees from the Pentagon and other government agencies. After all the American people are the ones paying for all those benefits. I understand the retirees from the Pentagon only pay $426/per year in premiums and have 100% of their medical bills paid for them and all their family members. I don't know of any citizens that gets those types of generous benefits. Until these guys feel the pain of the average American people they will remain out of touch.

August 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. J.mckenna

I know Piers was hired by CNN, but does he have to spout only Pro-Democrat statements, and completely disregard all Republican comments . Looks like this just shows the nature of tabloid reporting, by a pompous, stuffy little guy, who echoes only what his masters tell him. Why would anyone with any non Democrat viewpoints ever come on your show, since you only seem capable of promoting CNN Democrat garbage.

July 30, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • PC

I'm an independent and I disagree that Piers spews anything pro democrat or pro republican. I think he covers the bases. There is political spin on both sides, but it's not Fox News it's...CNN News. There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the aisle. We need deep spending cuts and we need to raise some revenue via tax reform. The top 2% wealthiest Americans need to pay their fair share of taxes just like I do. I don't see how anyone can fault just one party or the other. The real idiots in Washington are the Tea Party fools who seriously thought if we defaulted it wouldn't effect our economy.

August 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Hector

Hi! I have a solution to help our country. US will have more money to find a way out of this problem. Where can we get all those billions of dollars to get the country out of the big hole? The answer is easy! All the money we need is on the illegal immigrants in the US. On the site http://immigrationcounters.com/ you can find the number of illegal immigrants.
    The number is 23,554,193 illegal immigrants in US. If the government does an amnesty, and makes the immigrants pay a fee as a pardon for staying illegal in US, we can make the money we need.
    If the fee is at least 1,000 dlls per person the government can get 23,553,193,000 million dollars. Plus all the other fees they need to pay. I think that an amnesty will help the government in this moment. The government can get more control of the people that right now we don’t know.
    This process will bring money and safety to our country.

August 2, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Ryota

iPhoneSmiles97 on September 11, 2011 @StandardAlOh, just shut up you immature idiot. If you want to be pro chcoie, than fine. I just hope you know yo are making a HUGE mistake. And watch your language. Don't be saying that to me.

March 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply