Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 11th, 2012

Clive Davis on Whitney Houston's talent: "It's hard to make comparison"

This afternoon Whitney Houston was found dead at the age of 48 in her Beverly Hilton hotel room in Beverly Hills, CA. Houston was scheduled to attended Clive Davis' Grammy party tonight. He helped Houston get her career started when she was only 20 years old. Just last night Piers Morgan sat down with Davis and Jennifer Hudson on the eve of Grammy weekend.

Piers asked Davis if Hudson or any other artist could beat Houston at her peak. "It's hard to make comparison," Davis said. Hudson says she feels honored to work with Davis because of the divas he has worked with over the years. "As a kid - I was sitting and creating duets between Whitney and I, with her 'I Will Always Love You,' Hudson recalled.

»Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Web Extra • Whitney Houston
  1. Steve King

I was at the concert being shown on CNN on July 6th, 1994. The Omni in Atlanta. I will never forget Whitney Houston sitting on a chair and "belting" out all of her #1 hits. That night she announced to her then husband, Bobby Brown, that she was pregnant with their second child. It was a moment in time. Alas, the baby was lost several months later. Never will forget, never will forget the joy she brought into our lives through her music.

February 12, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kelaiah

do you know what song she is singing there?

February 12, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Judy

It is very sad about Whitney, I feel so sad for her mother and daughter..Do you know the age of her daughter? My prayers are with her mother and daughter. Whitney will be missed.

February 12, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sheshefoofoocards

One of the best performers/singers I've ever seen in person. No one can simply stand on a stage and sing a song the way Whitney Houston did. I will always love and miss her. She was a rarity.God bless her mom, daugher and family. Piers did a great job tonight providing information about her life and death.

February 12, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Autumn Jade

Dear Piers, please stop interrupting your MORE THAN CAPABLE on-site reporters with your arrogance. Shut up! Let them speak!!!

February 12, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Marilyn

It is very annoying to listen to someone speaking and consistently being interupted by Piers Morgan. Every guest is subjected to ongoing interuption by Piers. Please, as a good journalist does, let your guests speak!!

February 12, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joanie

I am very sad about the death of Whitney Houston...her voice will be added to the Choir in Heaven and she will never be forgotten...

I do have to make a comment regarding Smokey Robinson's interview...regarding entertainers being in the public eye...he feels they should not be picked apart for what they do....but to Smokey, even though you are "human beings"...YOU are looked up to by so many kids and they go by what YOU do in your life...so quite whining about the media being the cause of what happens to some entertainers...if you don't like it then GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS.

February 12, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Leslie Duchscherer

What a terrible sad thing this is for her family and the rest of us! One of the great voices of our time snuffed out without reaching it's potential! I am so sad about this, but also think the media shoudl slow down and keep some perspective on her life and how know one was there as she declined! She died alone Guys!

Please do not compare her to the likes of Streisand, or denigrate her with comparisons to Carey or Celine whatever her name is ! There is no comparison and a light has gone out in the vocal world! It is so sad that she won't sing again!

February 12, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. LESLIE DUCHSCHERER

Piers alSO sounds like an idiot when it is clear that he really doesn't relate to the deceased person and is strictly kissing up to her because of the situation! Plz pull THE PLUG SOON! HE CLEARLY DOESN'T GET IT!

TERRIBLE COVERAGE!

February 12, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Karen

It sounds like she fell asleep in the bathtub after partying with her music friends and with her family at the hotel. THAT coupled with her late nite at Tru bar. I've done the same but since she probably had something else in her system to not wake up. No way this was intentional. She loved this party of Clive's and she lived for the music.

February 12, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. kristie

the person behind the song, i will always love you, is DAVID FOSTER, is this right? then, why is he not being interviewed? i think, we should also recognize the people behind whitney houston^s success....

February 12, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ginger

Can someone at CNN tell this man to stop interrupting the guest, when he asks a question. It is very disrespectful when you do that. Producers do you not see it remove him or replace him. Very annoying...

February 12, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Noone

I know that Piers hates a particular pop star who I will not name, but to say the Whitney was "The Queen of Pop" along side Michael Jackson? Come on. . .the last hit Whitney had was off a crack pipe not on the Billboard charts. Stop letting your personal feelings infect your ability to report accurately. Whitney was no queen.

February 12, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jof Lee

So many beautiful people in this world died teaching and performing music in the jazz and classical world that never had the disgusting past and history of busts and abuse. These great people will never get recognized, especially on national TV because nobody is interested in those that do good things for others. Whitneys's past is not something to look up to!

February 12, 2012 at 4:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Ashwani Sarda

The vocal magic that Whitney Houston unleashed upon the world reached me via short-wave in a pre-cable/satellite-TV India in 1986 with her "The Greatest Love Of All". Her singing formed an important part of my listening experience in terms of popular music right upto the time, sometime in the early 90s, when the tracks of 'The Bodyguard' were aired on the BBC World Service. It's incredibly sad how all the ills associated with celebrity in popular culture can cast an evil shadow on such God given talent. Perhaps it's the price an individual has to pay for the magical ability to touch the lives and minds of millions around the world and to have this awesome power of being able to define the memories of others.

February 12, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Roaa

OMG Scout. That gave me the chills. I had seen that pop up all over the web leltay but never took the time to listen to it until now. Wow. Just wow.

April 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jennifer Sangster

I watched the interview last night with Jermaine Jackson. I was interested when asked by Piers Morgan if he thought Whitney Houston's downward spiral began when she met and married Bobby Brown. Jackson's response was that he felt everyone was responsible for their own behaviour. Interesting – should Michael Jackson also be??? I have no issue with the physician that was charged with administering drugs to Michael Jackson having his license suspended and serving jail time. This drug was one that should be used in a controledl hospital environment. But I also agree with Jermaine Jackson – that people are responsible for their own behaviour – Michael Jackson was a drug addict!! Whitney responsible for her own behaviour – Michael not so much? These individuals are drug addicts – it is sad but drug addicts die of overdoses everyday – their deaths are all sad!!

February 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Azka

if the battery dies will i lose all i have saved on it. is there a way of visang what i've saved onto a memory stick. i'm afraid to try different things without knowing what to do. Also, can you please tell me what is the battery for the internal memory of the gr33 as i want to have one ready in case the existing one dies. Can you tell me if i am changing the battery, when i remove the old one will it clear the memory or do i have time to change it before it emptys the memory.

April 3, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. premonta

Piers is correct, being careful about cause of death. Drugs like crack cocaine can cause heart valve and aortic damage. It could have been a simple heart attack with stress, or bacteria from a teeth cleaning reaching an unknown damaged heart valve – a dentist not aware to give premed antibiotic. Or a siezure or stroke ... So many tv reporters jumped to drug overdose ... so premature. Thank you Piers for setting the bar higher and squelching early rumors.

February 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. J Zamora

Piers you always talk about how the United States can be great again or the United States this ans that... personally I take offense from a Brit across the pond weighing in on with a pound or two here & there, telling the American people whats Up from down & left from right. My mind frame and my world point of view does not come from thee BBC or the British Monarchy.a Reality Check for you... You always showcase African Americans or Anglo Saxons... lest we forget your recreated mutual dependability/justification for world wide superiority.

February 13, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Barbara

Such drama from Piers and his "buddy" Simon, such dread...according to Simon, we're going to remember where we were when Whitney died! I loved Whitney Houston, but I'm not sure we needed to see Piers with this tragic look on his face who looked like he hadn't slept in a week, who kept showing the same clips over and over, and who (not only does he interrupt his guests) but kept talking while trying to play her music and cutting it off to make some inane remark because the WHOLE THING WAS JUST SOOOOOO TRAGIC for him...then we had to see Jane Velez whatever drag herself down to the HIlton, sans makeup, etc., because the WHOLE THING WAS JUST SOOOOOO TRAGIC, and give her continual resitations of events as though she was present, hiding under the bed or inside a closet. Can't the news just report the facts of the story and not guess and give lectures about drinking and prescription drugs when we don't yet know the cause of death? Can't these reporters find something else to do besides annoy the heck out of us?

February 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rudy

Big picture who learly cares who gets what or how much attention in the media? In this day and age we're not limited to one channel on the television to find out what's happening in the world it is possible to bypass the unwanted news and read/watch what is important to YOU . At the end of the day, the only attention that matters is that of the family and friends of the fallen soldiers. And lets not forget about Remembrance Day/Veterans Day ..yes originally for WWI, but it's learly for any fallen soldier now isn't it? it is for me, anyways .So, soldiers get one special day of remembrance every single year TILL THE END OF TIME..AND, this day is usually broadcasted and aired on television in every single city/town Also, people close their businesses and take time off from work to pay tribute to these soldiers. There's parades, and ceremonies and moments of silence and hanging out that the local Legion listening to old war stories Soldiers DO get attention and they get the attention that MATTERS!!! Celebrities get a week of splash and then they're forgotten about by the media. And MAYBE if it is a big superstar celebrity, they might get a quick mention on the news on the anniversary of their death. big deal. get over it. move on.

April 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. tasha Cherry

http://youtu.be/3eGUW24AOks Erica Cherry Tribute to Whitney Houston!
    They are talking about Whitney so badly that i'm ashamed of we have become! My 8 year old daughter, Erica Cherry asked me if she could do " I have nothing" as a tribute to Whitney. I know Erica is gifted but after listening to her i relized that all gifts come from God and God puts gifts in flawed packaging when he chose humans. Whitney was a great gift!

February 14, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Ajri

Vyvanse Abuse Dot Com welcomes you to place teommncs on the topic of Vyvanse Abuse and other drug related topics. We look forward to your teommncs.

March 3, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Taran

I\'d vote for Ron Paul and I back his anti-war stance. But I don\'t think there\'s anthying wrong with avoiding the draft, just as there was noting wrong with slaves escaping. Especially when it\'s an aggressive foreign war and not defending the nation!

April 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Larissa

my husband is just siatrtng out in this business on the side, wondering what types of info should be listed and how in an estimate for a repair job. is there a standard method to insure he gives the customer all of the proper info?

April 2, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. melbourne business consulting

Great blog right here! Also your website so much up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate hyperlink in your host? I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

April 12, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. turban

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is a very neatly written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

April 22, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. ipad 3

A person essentially help to make critically posts I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual publish amazing. Wonderful process!

May 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. surviving breakup

One more perfect website for everyone interested in your theme! So many information, nice pictures and good comments! All this in one place? Unbelievable!!! I?ll definitely have to share with my entire friends list! Cheers

May 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Google Maps Optimisation

I'm really impressed along with your writing skills and also with the format for your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it your self? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great weblog like this one today..

July 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Cheap Twitter Services

I am impressed with this site, very I am a fan.

February 1, 2021 at 4:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Antione Bernabei

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a great web-site.

March 6, 2021 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply