Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 13th, 2012

Piers Morgan takes aim at Madonna, pokes fun at Ron Paul

The latest edition of Piers Morgan's weekly diary as published in the U.K.'s "Daily Mail" is out. Titled "I'd finally found common ground with Madonna. Neither of us has sung live at the Super Bowl," Morgan immediately takes aim at his favorite adversary and her recent half time performance from the Super Bowl:

"...it was every bit as embarrassing, inappropriate and toe-curling as I expected, as she lip-synched and crotch-thrusted her way through a medley of her old hits and some gruesome new song that sounded like something you’d hear in a cheap Belgian disco. Twitter exploded with 8,000 tweets a SECOND commenting on her performance – most of them from me."

Proving that his opinions remain consistent continent to continent, Morgan mirrored his sentiment during a recent "Piers Morgan Tonight" segment entitled "Only in America."

Elsewhere in Morgan's diary, he delved back into the topic of Ron Paul. The Republican Presidential candidate had sat down with the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host during a recent stop in Las Vegas, and though Morgan was struck by Paul's energy, he did take issue with his pop culture acumen:

He’s a fascinating character, the oldest candidate by far at 76, yet also the one with the most energy and the biggest youth and social-media following. So I assumed he’d have his finger firmly on the populist pulse. We met inside Koi restaurant at the Planet Hollywood Casino, where I had recently dined with Sylvester Stallone. This, I thought, would give me a great intro. ‘I was last here with the man who played Rocky Balboa, an underdog people’s hero who won against all the odds… see any parallels?’ The congressman paused, then replied: ‘Who’s Rocky Balboa?’

For more of Morgan's musings, read the entire diary here.

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Across The Pond
  1. KJ

actually, Paul is popular with young people and others starved for integrity in government, who tire of all the BS.

February 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Chellie Cervone

Although I wasn't quite as critical as Piers, I wasn't "wowed" by Madonna's performance. I am a fan of hers and I thought her new song is catchy. You can read what I had to say on my blog Chellies World

Chellie

February 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Andrew

Piers is out of touch and insulting, Madonna's performance was stellar, the numbers don't lie, 3 million more people tuned in to watch her than the game! Love her or hate her, she draws the crowds, more than I can say for your show piers, I have yet to watch it!!

February 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Celsius

There is no way i am going to rack my nerves or my wallet to get Madonna tickets- if they are there there there if not..oh well

February 14, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DV

Just because Piers Morgan watches his Twitter feed every minute does not mean his pop references matches those of young people. Do you really think a majority of them are interested in watching the Rocky movies?

February 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Brjan

Morgan dislikes Madonna because she will NEVER appear on any of his tacky little chat shows.

She – or rather Barbara Charone – will never forget how he trashed her first 'Girlie Show' concert in Wembley Stadium in 1993 as 'Sad Bad Mad'. That was back in his tabloid / phone hacker days...

February 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. dirk

Piers who?
    a Belgian discotheque visitor and citizen

February 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Hit

MarineMom79I may be a little easibd, since I have an amazingly strong and fulfilling marriage (that happens to be interracial), but in my opinion race and ethnicity aren't the issues. What matters is that couples have shared values and goals. If there are known hurdles, such as religious differences, then they need to have plan before they wed on how they will raise their children, etc. They need to be aware that once they wed, outside family concerns and pressure take a back seat to spousal support and unity. Couples, regardless of race, that begin with a shared foundation and common goals are far more likely to succeed than thise without.

March 4, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply