Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

February 27th, 2012

He's Back! Bill Maher returns tonight, LIVE at 9pm ET/PT

He's one of the country's smartest and funniest comedians, with expertise in politics and culture, religion and the news cycle. And this evening Bill Maher returns to go toe-to-toe with Piers Morgan.

On the heels of his recent one million dollar investment into Barack Obama's reelection, the author, host, and actor will join "Piers Morgan Tonight" for a live interview at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

He's always real, he's always lively. He's always honest, he's always entertaining. And he's no rookie.

Watch the clip of his last appearance, review his visit to the Green Room, and tune in tonight for an exclusive interview with the man who says:

"I do think the patriotic thing to do is to critique my country. How else do you make a country better but by pointing out its flaws?"

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. kent wilson

Is it not hypocritical of religious leaders (particularly the Catholic Church) to refuse women the right to use contraceptives and then not to excommunicate women from their congregations for acting in opposition to God and their churches?
    Have any members of a church been excluded from the congregation for using contraceptives? I guess this could include men if they use prophylactics for birth control.
    The provision of birth control medications through any health care plan just means that the medication should be available to women, not that they must use it. If a woman's religious beliefs forbid birth control, she must decide to follow her beliefs, or to change religions.

February 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bill White

I have great respect for Bill Maher and his views. I gave to the first Obama campaign but when asked recently if I would support again. I said no. We the people did not get the change we all hoped for and we have gotten no bail out.

I know Bill thinks it is the right thing to do to stop these crazy republicans, but are the democrats really any better? I was so impressed when Piers said in the Ron Paul interview, if he were President, the poor would be his very first priority. It's very sad to say neither the republicans or democrats really care about 12% real unemployment, homelessness or poverty in America. Empower the poor and no one will complain about the rich!

Bill that $1 million could have really gone a long way in starting a 3rd party that cares about the people. The establishment rules.

February 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Kay DeWitt

I just tried posting a comment and it did not go through so I am sending this commenat as a test to see if the problem is that my commment was too long...If this goes through, I will try and shorten my previous comment

February 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cc

mayher is the dumbest educated person i have ever heard in my life i would like to show my second admendment

February 28, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. John

Maher and Morgan - talking about guns - they need to get in touch with the real America, – not the elitist Hollywood left. Morgan needs to take his UK background and concept back to the UK. If anyone remembers, we fought 2 wars to get rid of that kind of thinking.

February 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cc

i agree this is coming from a man that wouldnt know which end of a shotgun to hold... not like i would help him but he knows nothing of getting your own food stepping away from his paid cooks.but i will not give up my guns and i believe i speak for most amaericans keep it to the americans you dumb brit.....2nd admedmant!

February 28, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. dddragon

Bill Maher, as much as he talks about the right wing and how stupid they are; he never checks himself and his speech. He does as much damage with his opinions than any right wing ever does. He is probably the most foolish man I have ever heard in my life. He doesn't have a clue what people think. He sits on his throne and voices his opinions about everyone. That is the problem with everyone today. Nobody respects no one any more. He also speaks out of both sides of his mouth. One minute he is saying he doesn't care for what Obama has done while President and the next minute he is giving 1 ml to his Super Pac. Go figure. Hey don't make excuses for you back pedaling on what you said before. I think I turning you off.

February 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bubba

Watching a British subject like yourself Pierce assault my gun rights makes me even more resolute to get out in November and vote pro gun.

Remember Pierce, 80,000,000 gun owners killed no one today.

February 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cc

yes this is a man that aint even takin a leak outside athnd he is going to say take away our gun rite this brit needs to get off an american talk show because if he keeps going we all will show him our rite.the right to keep a gun isnt saying you have the right to shoot anyone but the right that you can protect yourself against people that mean you harm and taking away guns wouldnt stop killing just decreasing the innocents chance to life.piers please comment back i want to give youa piece of my mind

February 28, 2012 at 3:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jeff Faatz

As a gunowner, I can honestly say that society would be better off without guns. However, since the government can't be there to protect me in all life or death situations, I won't relinquish my guns. Suggesting that the elimination of guns would eliminate barbaric behavior is flawed. Don't blame the gun, blame the person making the conscious decision to use the gun for evil purposes. And if not a gun, then the weapon of choice would become something else for people filled with evil desires.

February 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura S

I was kind of upset about what they were saying about guns and couldn't think of how to put my feelings into words...but this is exactly how I feel...totally agree with you!

February 28, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • cc

jeff has got my view as clear as i could say it

February 28, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bob P.

Piers, I enjoy watching your show however tonight was really upsetting to hear bill maher disrespect Gabby Giffords by acting as if her shooting was no big deal. If he has all the answers why doesn't he run for political office? Because he would lose in a landslide. He is a joke. Please don't invite him back on your show, you have much better class than that!

February 27, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Nani

Piers, please kindly let your guest finished his sentences...

February 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Carl Landsness

Re guns, violence, etc...
    I wonder if we need to address the deeper causes and consequences of violence... e.g. at a soul level. Journey of Souls by Michael Newton presents compelling, sobering, and inspiring research on this.

February 27, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jordan

Bill Maher just made a statement along the lines of "When the 2nd amendment was written people were allowed to own firearms because back then they could overthrow a tyranny if necessary. Now the government has nukes, what do all these right winger's think they can do?..." If the people don't control the government, the government controls the people – Totalitarian Society. Not every firearm owner is a die hard republican that wants to "blow innocent animals brains out," either. They are used for sport, and a collections, like cars; because some mentally ill people get a hold of guns, illegally, and kill people means we should ban guns? Might as well say someone who decides to drive drunk, which is also illegal, and kills somebody, we need to ban cars. You're opinions are so skewed, it's sad. The problem with this country is there are only 2 parties...and very few people are satisfied with the candidates "Big Money" (including your 1 million you gave to Obama's campain) has chosen for us.

February 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cc

right on the nail hes is ignorant.....STUPID and CONCIEDED

February 28, 2012 at 3:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • c

bill i hope you would handle a gun the way you carry out and "educated conversation" because i want to be there to see you pull that trigger

February 28, 2012 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. yellowhair3

In a couple of years when our economy is colapsing and we have rioting in the streets I will be glad to have the right to own a gun in order to protect my family and home . I'll also be glad that I shot a doe earlier in the year so my family has meat to eat. As for Piers and Athetist Bill – well Jesus said I have to love you and pray for you, but I sure don't have to like the way you think!

February 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Richard Trumbull

I have to disagree with Piers and Bill regarding gun control. I think the statements made are not quite accurate. The right to issue gun permits currently lies within the states. Requirements to obtain a permit varies from state to state and some states are more difficult than others. Most states you have to be a minimum of 18 years old, pass a FBI backgrouind check using fingerprints, and some states require a full mental health background check. You also, in some state, must take a mandatory course, and qualify on the range. Most likely the incident in Ohio involved a student who obtained the gun illegally and was illegally in possession of the firearm. Piers suggested that anyone 17 years old can obtain a gun in the US which is not true if you use legal channels. The minute there is an incident involving a firearm, the media and public interest groups state gun control is out of control in the US. The question to ask for each of these incidents was the gun obtained legally and did the person carrying have a permit? Bill was wrong in stating that the incident involving Gabby Giffords was a person who "modified" the gun. The truth is that he purchased a larger magazine to hold more bulletts. Again, the limit on the sale of magazines and how many bulletts they hold is a state policy. In New York State where I live, you can not purchase a gun with a magazine that holds any more than ten bullets. People who have guns with valid permits, are not bad because they like to hunt, target shoot, belong to a gun club, or carry a gun due to their occupation. Piers and Bill you need to get your facts in order before you speak on national TV. Guns refecrenced by Bill, such as a "bazooka", etc, cannot be purchased legally in most states.

February 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Greg

Why do you invite elitist nit wits like Bill Mahr on the show. This guy can't see reality due to the Obama smoke in his eyes.

February 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Don Quixote

The only approaches that give me any hope of solving the massive messes we face require a massive leap in consciousness: e.g. http://weneedadream.org/independence.htm... starting with very difficult self-examination: e.g. http://weneedadream.org/trailoftears.htm

Are We The People humble enough and brave enough?

February 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Graeme Krone

Hey Bill, you haven't mentioned Dr. Ron Paul, what's the matter, you chicken?

February 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Joe

It is not accurate to attribute the repeal of the Glass Steagall Act to republicans. It was strongly supported by prominent democrats such as Senators Dodd and Schumer, and then Treasury Secretary for President Bill Clinton Lawrence Summers.

February 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Paulette Canam

Bill Maher is one of the most ignorant people you have ever had on your show.

February 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Georgina

Piers, I watch NCIS as often as possible. I love watching your show as well, but if you were on the same night, I might have to chose NCIS. I also love listening to Bill Mahr, but not a nice statement re Gabby Giffords. He is very right about guns.

February 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. susan

Love ya Bill!

February 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jen

Wow. What a weak guest. If money talks, it talks trash, and we don't need to be fed trash via your show, we get enough in the world as is, but I suppose that's one of he great things about America. It allows even the worst voices in the media and other Hollywood settings to be heard along with their contradictory guests who enjoy all the benefits of a country that provides freedoms and opportunities (defended by people in and out the military by firearms) yet have no sense of respect or pride in the roots of this great nation, principles founded on Faith and Freedom. Is this really what you call good television/ entertainment/information?

February 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Did he say?

Did he said Jesus is a PALESTINIAN walking on water?
    Such an ignorant person talking, Jesus is not PALESTINIAN but JEWISH

February 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Pat

Great program tonight. Bill Maher reminds us that the dire economic straits that befell our country was largely the result of Bush Administration's deregulation of Wall Street, as well as not taxing the rich. I agree–the Republican (candidates) scare me. These Republicans really are far right-wing radicals who ultimately do not care if the American middle-class virtually disappears. They work for the top echelon of corporate America who WANT IT ALL. It's a sickness. Again, great show.

February 27, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CR

The Glass-Steagall Bank­ing Act of 1933 to sep­a­rate com­mer­cial and invest­ment bank­ing which estab­lished the FDIC and curbed banks from spec­u­lat­ing on mort­gages was repealed in 1999 by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (Finan­cial Ser­vices Mod­ern­iza­tion Act of 1999) allow­ing banks to spec­u­late on mort­gages under Clinton. Citi­corp (a com­mer­cial bank hold­ing com­pany) merged with Trav­el­ers Group (an insur­ance com­pany) in 1998 to form the con­glom­er­ate Cit­i­group, a cor­po­ra­tion com­bin­ing bank­ing, secu­ri­ties and insur­ance ser­vices under a house of brands that included Citibank, Smith Bar­ney, Primer­ica, and Trav­el­ers. This com­bi­na­tion, announced in 1998, would have vio­lated the Glass–Steagall Act and the Bank Hold­ing Com­pany Act of 1956 by com­bin­ing secu­ri­ties, insur­ance, and bank­ing, if not for a tem­po­rary waiver process. The law was passed to legal­ize these merg­ers on a per­ma­nent basis. Clinton set us up and Bush executed the plan.

February 29, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. nancy

You commentary at the end of the program tonight on the Oscars was so lame. Of course no one in England sounds like Christian Bale. He's from South Africa. DUH.

February 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Nancy

How can anyone think life begins at conception. There is no heart until 6 or 7 weeks after conception. Can a newly conceived fetus survive outside the womb? I don't think so. If you have a miscarriage early on where does the fetus go? There is no barial. I can't believe Newt Gingrich talking about bedrest, if it was that simple, I think the doctor would have suggested.

February 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paula Davis

I agree Nancy. Don't Jews believe that life begins at birth, when the soul enters the body? Death is when the soul leaves the body. Modern science shouldn't be the basis of Christian beliefs. 1000 years ago, when did the Catholic church believe life began? 400 years ago, 50 years ago? It will continue to change until science catches up to what God knows and speaks to us when we are ready to receive truth.

February 27, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Casimer Stawicki

I have listened to Mr. Bill Maher and you discuss the recent shooting in Ohio. I have typically been insulted by Mr. Mahler s condescending tone toward law-abiding gun owners. Both he and you are classifying gun owners as irresponsible "hicks", and those that hunt as blood thirsty mentally deranged people furthers the insult. There is a problem with firearm usage in many instances and education is a key solution. Enforcement of current laws is another factor. This selective enforcement by all administrations is wrong. What consequences were there for the parents of those at Columbine, when bombs, guns and ammunition were stockpiled by teenagers in their home? No consequence they paid off the legal system. Who stopped the shooter of Congresswomen Giffords? A concealed carrying citizen. Where do the guns come from for the gang members to use. Mexico. Where do the guns to the cartels come from? Venezuela, Viet Nam, Cuba, and the United States government. The US Supreme Court has ruled that cities and police department have no "duty to protect" citizens. What are we citizens to do? According to Mr. Mahler and other liberals, we are to die and let the police assemble the statistics. Citizens have the right to defend themselves and their families. You elites can afford to surround yourselves with armed defenders. The common citizens are on their own. Yes the second amendment was written a long time ago. But its purpose is still valid. Individual citizens to fend off an oppressive government. and "provide for a common defense" is wrong it will not be two hicks fighting off the Marines. But remember Breeds Hill and Concord were citizens fighting the most powerful army of its day. Who won? It is education and the re-establishment of the American moral compass. It is enforcement of just laws. It is not disarming the lawful citizens. Mr. Mahler is additionally wrong in his extrapolation that "anyone can buy a bazooka" , I again suggest getting the facts correct. The assault weapons ban and many other gun laws are designed to disarm law abiding citizens not control gun crime or criminals. Yes we need a calm, logical discussion, not grandstanding. Hunting is another issue brought up by anti second amendment people. This amendment has nothing to do with hunting. I ask, what will one do with the over population of game in North America. Where will the funding come from for the conservation and habitat enhancement programs? Currently this funding comes from hunters and our memberships with organizations like Ducks Unlimited, The Boone and Crockett Club, Safari Club, and the like.

February 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. TPC -An American

Apparently my previous post was not acceptable by the CNN censors. So I will only say, it's encouraging to see so few idiots watch PM on CNN w/ the IDIOT from HBO! What a bunch of losers on this board and watching the show! FO!!

February 27, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nancy

Since you are also on the board, I guess that makes you one of the losers. Maybe the biggest one since you are looking at the board not having watched the show. On second thought, you probably did watch.

February 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • tPC -An American

Nancy – you, my dear, need to get a life! Your posts, which I only read while I was watching paint dry, are so moronic and out of touch w/ reality. Please take your next dose of prosaic......say hey to Whitney! HA!

February 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nancy

TPC, I need to get a life! I'm not the one watching paint dry. You need something and it's not prosac.

February 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jack

Why isn't anyone talking about the really dangerous things in america. We all know those right wing fanatics defend the right for people to drive cars. I mean can you believe those are still legal. Look at how many people cars kill every year. I just don't understand why the government won't protect us from those deadly metal boxes. Oh and then there is that food that is sold in the supermarkets that makes us fat and kills us. Plus then there is the deadly swimming pools that people can drown in every year. If only we could outlaw all the things in the world that are potentially dangerous we could probably live forever. Stupid conservatives.

February 28, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Scott

Bill Maher spews nothing but hate and filth. I refuse to watch him on any network. I switched between the Daytona 500 and "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Much more entertaining.

February 28, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Dave

Piers your comment : " What will a politcal class do about the endless proliferation of guns in this country?" What do you even mean by this? The fact that I as a law abiding citizen can purchase a hand gun and there isn't some law set by a liberal to limit how many guns I can have, if any at all? I bet that disappoints you that no politician is touching that one and you know why? Because setting up restrictive gun laws does nothing, absolutely nothing. Criminals will get guns and kids will commit acts of violence because of the oppressive social climates in schools towards some kids. Additionally, places with restrictive gun laws (D.C., Detroit, Philly, etc.) have the highest crime rates and all these guns laws do is hurt law abiding citizens' ability to own guns and defend their lives and property. You set your self up as a legitimate interviewer, but you're just teeing up liberal propaganda questions with the ultimate liar/intellectually dishonest liberal of them all: Bill Mahr (tell Bill to stop changing the subject when his side is losing the argument on "Play Time with Bill Mahr")

February 28, 2012 at 4:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Valerie

Well all I can say is this, we have guns, the British have knives....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-14523741 Six people, including three children, have been killed in a knife attack on the usually peaceful island of Jersey.

February 28, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. valerie

Mapping UK's teen murder toll

February 28, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • valerie

All you have to do is google 'shootings in the UK" and you can see that they are ripe with shootings over there even with their gun laws.

February 28, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Micaela Grantham

Dear Mr. Morgan,
    While I love your show, I want you to understand the difference between ALL Americans of deep faith, and those of right-wing Conservative faith – like Tim Tebow and George Bush. There are many kinds of ¨Christians¨in the U.S. I, for example, believe that the Bible said ¨When you pray, go into your room and close the door¨. NOT on the football field. I cannot say for sure, but doubt that Christ gives a hoot about the outcome of sporting events..........

February 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Ellie

I love Bill Maher there is nobody funnier or wiser.

February 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. CR

Mr. Morgan, since I finally took the time to comment, I would like to mention that if you are here on a Green Card, enjoy our hospitality, but until you are a citizen of this great nation, temper your views with dispassionate observation. You have made a few comments that have raised my ire. Other than that, I want you to know that I find you relaxing and enjoyable to watch. When that stops I trust so will your green card. Be aware because America is. The occupy movement does not represent the intelligentsia whom are watching everything very carefully with all senses activated.

February 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply