Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 1st, 2012

Only in America: Piers Morgan on the rebirth of Ground Zero, New York, and America

On Monday, Piers Morgan used his "Only in America" segment to detail precisely the type of topic for which the concept was created, "a story that illustrates the unique quality and essence of the United States."

It's been more than 10 years since the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center's Twin Towers, but Morgan vividly remembers first seeing the devastation shortly thereafter:

"I flew over Ground Zero in helicopter a month after it happened. I was shocked to my very core at what I saw," recalls the host. "A vast slice of this great city's commercial heartland ripped down to smoldering rubble. It was a sickening sight."

In the aftermath of the tragedy the killed nearly 3,000 people, America was challenged, with the rest of the world wondering how the country would respond.

"Well, today, we got the answer, bigger and better than ever," declared Morgan. "This afternoon, One World Trade Center, formally known as the Freedom Tower, surpassed the Empire State Building as the tallest building in New York at 1,271 feet."

Reached exactly one year since the strike that killed Osama bin Laden, the timing of Monday's milestone is ironic and poetic, if not specific and calculated.

"The message from America to those who wish to bring it harm couldn't be clearer," Morgan concluded. "You may hurt us, you may damage us, you may even kill some of us. But you will never, ever beat us."

Only in America, says the host: "That surely is the spirit that made America the world's greatest superpower, and the spirit that will ensure whatever difficulties are thrown its way, it stays there for a long time to come."
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Only in America
  1. Keir Weimer

Keir Weimer believes this is a great achievement for New York City, for the United States and for the American people as a whole. When catastrophe and tragedy strike this nation, it sets its resolve on a course of renewed purpose and conscious pride.

Keir Weimer thinks everyone should be proud of this accomplishment, and we all eagerly wait for the Tower and site to be fully complete, so the rest of the world can see our commitment to our country and our way of life.

-Keir Weimer

May 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. karen stephenson

I am sure my comment will be deleted. I just watched piers morgan dismiss at the end of the interview Dan Rather. He may be slow of speech, but let's not dismiss an accurate journalist who was punished for being correct. Shame on you Piers.

May 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. maria bulat

Thank you Piers! I enjoyed listening to Dan Rather.

May 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Anne Schapiro

Love your show Piers – wonderful to see a journalist unafraid to 'say it as it is'. But must question why most anchors (excluding yourself) on CNN refer to President Obama as 'Mr' and not President? I never heard Bush referred to as 'Mr'!
    As much as I respect Anderson Cooper I again heard him use 'Mr.' while commenting on The President's trip to Afghanistan today. I also watch ABC, CBS etc. and have never heard the term Mr. used when referring to President Obama. I Wish to tell you that this has become very noticeable by your neighbors to the North. Again, love your show and keep up the great interviews.

May 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Private Personal Training

We should have built those buildings back up! But i did like your statement.

January 26, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. frolep rotrem

Howdy very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?KI'm satisfied to search out a lot of helpful info right here in the submit, we want develop extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

February 6, 2021 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. zortilo nrel

I'm really impressed along with your writing abilities and also with the structure for your blog. Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to peer a nice blog like this one today..

February 7, 2021 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Europa-Road gépszállítás

I have recently started a web site, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. "The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual." by Vince Lombardi.

February 9, 2021 at 5:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. vreyro linomit

I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I?¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website 🙂

February 26, 2021 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Waldo Greever

Perfect piece of work you have done, this internet site is really cool with superb information.

March 11, 2021 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. zortilonrel

Well I truly liked reading it. This tip procured by you is very useful for good planning.

March 11, 2021 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. zortilo nrel

Hello there, You have done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this site.

March 21, 2021 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Russell Scriven

Its like you read my thoughts! You seem to know a lot approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you just can do with some percent to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

March 25, 2021 at 1:22 am | Report abuse | Reply