Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 24th, 2012

Clips From Last Night: Slash's last words to Axl; Jack Welch on Mitt Romney and Bain Capital

Guns N' Roses and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist Slash joined Piers Morgan on Wednesday for a primetime exclusive interview. The legendary musician talked with Piers about his music, his battle with drug addiction and his iconic style.

In 1996, at the pinnacle of their success, Slash left Guns N' Roses and ended his friendship with lead singer Axl Rose. Recalling their last verbal exchange, Slash said, "I think the last word, basically it was just that 'I'm done.'" When asked by Piers if there was a possibility for the band to reunite, Slash responded, "I don't think it's a matter of that, it really isn't."

"I think you've got a situation where nobody involved wants to revisit - it's not just me," said Slash, "It's the whole, you know, the whole band. And so I don't think there's a price tag that anybody's going to put in front of us that's going to make that work, you know?"

Also on Wednesday, business executive, author and Mitt Romney supporter, Jack Welch joined Morgan for a quick sit down. On topic was Romney's strategy to present his work at Bain Capital as an example of job creation. Welch agreed with Piers that a private equity company does not intentionally buy a company "to create jobs, they buy it to turn it around and make a profit." Welch remarked, "I think making the job creation argument was not the smartest case to make."

However, Welch did not dispute the effectiveness of private equity as a creator of jobs.

"But creating jobs that last, durable jobs in a forward, quote, 'economy', that's what private equity does," said Welch. "I have been involved with him [Romney] over 10 years now, 12 years, we have not had a busted company. We've taken broken companies and taken them forward and they are now flourishing. So you do - you don't create scads of jobs, but you create good paying jobs in a continuing industry."

-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. J

May 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Raulinc

All I know is that Axl Rose rocks!!!

May 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MartyFarty

If you like red headed man-shaft in your Binkter hole.

May 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lean6

I'd rather that GnR not get back together than for them to get back together and make crap! They know what's best for them. All I know is that I've been playing straight GnR classics for the past 20 years non-stop. That's good music. If I had a dime for every time I've rewinded a Slash solo, i'd be rich!

May 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MartyFarty

Their music always blew azzbinkters. One decent album but the production was no where near good quality. And Kurt Cobain blows slash out of the water with all those mighty leads from finger tapping to arpeggios and complex fretballing binkterslides.

May 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mike

Does anyone know if/when the Slash interview will rebroadcast? I missed it.

May 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. 210

@mike

i saw the full interview on youtube

May 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. june loverby

please take peirs off the program" not very bright...bring on someone new!

May 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Nicolas Rodovsky

slash funded a home for crackbabies....its true

May 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. nicolas Rodovsky

May 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Myto Senseworth

They were an OK band with a few good hits. It would have sounded better if they had another singer. Axel was not that good.

May 25, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Rob

Within less than a minute of air, Morgan completely misquotes the President and perpetuates a bald-faced lie of the Romney campaign. And he wonders why his reputation for journalism is always being questioned. Because he is a shoddy hack, that's why. Go work for Fox, you slob. Go look at the tape and see if you can figure out what I am talking about. Bet you can't - you're too deluded by your own God complex. Larry King was worth watching. This is trash. Take a hike.

May 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Yvette

Piers I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in YOU. You have become so biased that it is difficult to watch any of your interviews. Like many others I always enjoyed watching your program because you were not trying to sway your guests or your viewers to believe in what 'you' believe in. But that is not the case for the past few months. Does Obama sign your paycheck? It certainly seems that way with the way you muscle your guests and try to brain wash your viewers – I just hope they are a little smarter then that. So now, like every other show on CNN yours too is nauseating to watch!!

May 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply