Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 6th, 2012

Donald Rumsfeld on Israel sharing information with the U.S. government: "I think they would be very careful about doing that"

This evening "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomed back former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld for his third visit to the primetime program.

Joining host Piers Morgan for a live interview, Rumsfeld shared his candid perspective on the relationship between the United States and Israel, and how it might impact the latter taking military action against Iran:

"I was asked the question: 'Do I think that the Israelis would contact the United States government if they planned to engage in an attack on Iran,' and my response was 'I think they would be very careful about doing that for fear that it would leak out of the administration.'"

In response to the suggestion that the host misrepresented the guests' stance, Morgan attempts to clarify:

"Just to defend my own position," he began.

"It's indefensible!" came Rumsfeld's response.

"I set this up by saying that you basically did not believe that the Israeli administration could trust the Obama administration," insists Morgan.

"Not so," declares the guest. "If you go back and read the transcript of what you said at the end of the last segment, I think you'll find it is quite different."

And with that, the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host pushed forward:

"Let's agree to disagree."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, as America's 13th and 21st Secretary of Defense further explains his thoughts on the current administration, and past intelligence leaks.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Rohit Sabharwal

Piers Morgan is a disgrace to to journalism. He has no interview skills whatsoever. He continually interrupts the interviewees. He has a sordi history with News Corp. he is disgusting. Has a huge ego. PLEASE FIRE HIM !!!

June 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Les

I watched tonight but will discontinue watching his show. His interruptions were rude and classified him as a typical interviewer that had to have his words be the most important. Why interview when you can just say your crap and not interrupt? (and be more polite) do you do that with guests at home? bye.......

June 7, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Felix B.

Piers is supposed to be an interviewer, but his far left ideology is offensive to viewers as well as those being interviewed.
    let the people a being interviewed give their response without the leftist idiology. I am sick of listening to this guy's rhetoric. Tough interviewer? maybe, but pushing his agenda is not what an interviewer should be doing. I won't be watching him again.......

June 7, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jays

Rumsfeld is a war criminal. Piers Morgan should not have given him a second to comment and defend his and his former bosses crimes.

June 7, 2012 at 12:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nico

nonj prendete mai sul serio gli sorsenehoct!! peggiorano sempre la grafica di un gioco. ripeto mp3 dagli screen. sembrava un gioco n64.i trailer dimostrano che the conduit ci far rimanere a bocca aperta.ma dai fino a poco tempo fa era impensabile. il wii abbastanza potente, la colpa stata delle terze parti che graficamente non l'hanno completamente sfruttata. sembra che quest'anno le cose stiano cambiando

June 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joseph Schil

Piers Morgan is downright awful. Why in the world CNN would hire this idiot who plays "gotcha" in every interview? Actually, the answer is easy....it's another Hail Mary move to try to get someone to ignite the network's dismal ratings. How is that working out? Again, the answer is easy....Morgan's ratings are by far the lowest on cable news. I guess it's time to go to the ever shrinking liberal bench to look for a replacement. Let me give you a clue on how this terrible network might work..........eliminate your incredible liberal bias and focus on the truth for a change.. You might be surprised what happens. I'm not holding my breath for you to change your direction..

June 7, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. D Reed

Thank you for interviewing Rummy. D. Rumsfeld is a true patriot.

June 7, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Felix B.

Thank you, D. Reed. You said it short and sweet. I couldn't agree more. He is a man I have admired for many years.

June 7, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Brian Graham

Mr. Morgan,
    I caught the tail end of your show this evening and listened to your comments on D-Day. You paid a wonderful tribute to both the Americans and the British for their contribution. However, I do believe that a few Canadians showed up that day as well.
    Regards,

Brian Graham
    Vancouver, BC

June 7, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ms V Brown

PLEASE PIERS, WHEN YOU ASK A QUESTION, ALLOW THE PERSON TO ANSWER IT, WE NEVER HEAR TO GET THE COMPLETE ANSWER, YOU ALWAYS BUT ALWAYS BUT ALWAYS INTERUPT. SO ANNOYING. I THINK YOU ACTUALLY ONLY WANT TO HEAR YOUR OWN VOICE. STOP IT !

June 7, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Thinker23

It's peculiar but not a single comment so far addressed the main issue of this article, WILL or WILL NOT Israel share the information with US Government in case it will decide to engage in some actions against Iran...

June 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Matthew Teller

Donald Rumsfeld belongs in a jail cell (along with his partners in crime Dick Cheney and George W. Bush) instead of appearing on television spewing his skewed view of the world. They led this country into the toilet of economic depression with their folly in Iraq and their efforts to hand control of this country over to corporate interests. I for one believe his opinion is not to be trusted, and I'm very disappointed he was given the airtime.

June 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Confuzzled

Piers – You don't get it. Clinton might say "something nice" about The Donald or Mitt's time at Bain
    but you will never get any Republican to say,even a begrudgingly "nice" thing about the Obama Administration.

I had to giggle when Rumsfeld said something like "I've said it before and I'll say it again..."

This is the broken record and disciplined messaging the Republican's have
    programmed into their do/say/reiterate DNA....never give an inch.

You'd have gotten a more candid answer and interesting interview
    if you'd asked "So Mr. Rumsfeld, let's skip politics – how's your love life?"

Might as well – We've heard their Top Ten Hit List on and on and on and on...

Now if you installed a Fact Zapper in the seat and every time anybody fibbed,
    they'd get a little reminder that "Thou shalt not bear false witness" zip in
    their derrière, it might be more fun to watch.

June 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aibek

That is persuasive but you're talnkig to a guy who only bought a mobile phone just recently despite the fact everyone uses those too.Aside from the technology issues, I just don't like the idea of all that information being concentrated in one company that we all have to rely on. I prefer much more decentralized solutions that are open and free as in speech not as in beer. Besides my brain muscles were getting slack from neglect. Restarting my site is good for me.

June 30, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Thinker23

Still not a single comment addressing the main issue of this article, WILL or WILL NOT Israel share the information with US Government in case it will decide to engage in some actions against Iran. Pretty disappointing, to say the least.

June 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bob

What were you thinking by having Rumsfeld on your show???? Bad decision as he doesn't have much credibility, anymore. But, there was one benefit of that decision as he had THREE opportunities to correct your comments about him. I find that happens fairly often on your show. You are quick about stepping on their comments...very rude. I guess when people disagree with you, you think it's OK to not respect the perspectives of others.

Regarding gov. Walker, you were so focused on his "convincing victory" vs. vs. THE important issue of why that recall election got as far as it did, only the 3rd time in US history that attempt has happened related to a Gov...think about the energy, time and expense of that effort, if you will. Your focus is slanted to your priorities/perspectives/priorities vs. what others may want to hear...give that some thought.

Some of us heard your sarcastic comment about about your recent trip to London. I wonder why you were there. Maybe that is one of your reasons for cutting off comments of your guests, when you don't agree with them??? Hmm

Bob