Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 13th, 2012

Buzz Bissinger on the Penn State sex abuse scandal: "You had a sexual predatory animal who thrived within the culture of football at that school"

Coming up this evening, well-known journalist Buzz Bissinger visits "Piers Morgan Tonight," bringing along his trademark brand of opinionated perspective and candid insight.

Joining Morgan in studio for a face to face interview, the author of "Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream" shares his opinion on the Penn State sex abuse scandal and current trial of former coach Jerry Sandusky:

"This is about, I feel, Penn State allowing a culture to exist in which you had a sexual predatory animal who thrived within the culture of football at that school," says the University of Pennsylvania graduate. "It's not just that he was sexually abusing children – which is awful – I believe the coaches knew what was going on, and they didn't care, because it's all about winning."

In discussing the timeline of events, Bissinger casts a wide net of blame, insisting the program knew what was happening, and failed to address Sandusky's behavior:

"He's taking showers with these kids, in Penn State facilities. He's taking them to bowl games. I mean, you have to put two and two together," says the father of three boys. "I know coaches. Coaches will never turn in their own. I saw it in "Friday Night Lights," I've dealt with coaches a lot. They won't turn in their own."

Watch the clip, and listen the interview, then tune in this evening at 9 p.m. as the Pulitzer Prize winner further details the code which exists within the culture of coaching, going so far as to say it's worse than the mafia.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Ryan

When r we gonna get some body who actually cares about this country and the the citizens who have to raise their family's , all we get is empty promises from both sides. And y are they trying to take are freedom away from us

June 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mary Dolan

Buzz Bissinger's book Father's Day - AWESOME. A must read if you want humanity and truth. Catch our interview – on the Mary & Melissa Show on Blog Talk Radio live with audience call in June 14 at 1pm EST

June 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Carolyn Morrison

I am a frequent viewer of Piers Morgan and saw tonight's interview with Jimmy Fallon. I did not enjoy the Jim Morrison imitation nor did I find it funny. I am currently weighing the option of dropping Piers Morgan as one of the interesting shows I watch. I think Piers Morgan showed immaturity and disrespect along with Jimmy Fallon.

June 13, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Pepe soria

Pierce, rather than perpetuate an idyllic history for America, we should look at it honestly. The "Can Do" past you refer to included slavery, serfdom, and women and children as second class citizens. Agreeing with Bissinger regarding Presisident Obama's record is feeble. NO OTHER president has had the obstacles Obama has had. Slam him for not being more firm, or callin-out the GOP, but please put his situation in perspective. You won't read this, or care what a regular viewer hunks.

June 14, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. J. Sutton

Buzz – you should really look into the healthcare reforms Obama has promoted and passed, before you speak so negatively about what he has done. Your son may have been excluded from care under a different administration/set of requirements for health coverage.
    I am tired of open minded liberals ( I am one) bashing or undermining the accomplishments of the Obama administration over the last four years. Be realistic and understand what the alternatives are: intolerant, narrow minded Republicans who will in no way take care of average people. Please be a force for the improvement of our country. Speak up about what matters. We have a president who is intelligent, caring and human – he cannot perform the miracles that short sided people often expect. There is a complicated political process overloaded with special interests, money and power. In my opinion, this president is trying mightily to fight for what is right. Listen. Look at his humanity. Thank you.

June 14, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. A.L. Johns

This is irresponsible & it's certainly not journalism. To blame it on the "culture" of Penn State and to say that the coaches knew about Sandusky and allowed it to happen is ridiculous. Where's the proof? Penn State was NEVER about the winning. If the Freeh report shows otherwise, kudos to you for clairvoyance. And Penn Staters will be among the first to demand that all those guilty of a coverup be held responsible. It's pretty clear – you don't know Penn State and you didn't know Joe.

June 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane

I do know Penn State,,,,and it's all about Football and Winning. And Joe Paterno ran Penn State for decades. And people are more cofortable blaming the President of the Uniersity – Not the one who ran it – Joe Paterno.
      If he did not know what was going on, it was because he didn't want to know,,,,,,but please tell me how no-one could not at least "wonder".

I can't wait until Penn State Football is investigated further. I for one think the increase in tuition throughout the State University System lies squarely on Athletics,,,,,,I don't think the actually make any mone for the University.
      I just don't see many Penn Staters demandig anything but a continuatio of a Football Program that they will defend at all costs,,,,,,,

June 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. lymphoma non hodkins

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to return the prefer?.I'm attempting to find issues to enhance my web site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!

August 12, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. http://debtconsolidationv.com

I think be realistic and understand what the alternatives are: intolerant, narrow minded Republicans who will in no way take care of average people...

February 19, 2014 at 10:17 am | Report abuse | Reply