Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

June 28th, 2012

How the media covered, and reacted to, Piers Morgan's interview with Rielle Hunter

On Wednesday, Rielle Hunter gave her first cable news interview, speaking face to face with Piers Morgan.

In a riveting, and extraordinarily candid conversation, the 48-year-old revealed intimate details of her extramarital affair with former presidential candidate John Edwards.

But on the heels of yesterday's fascinating sit down, how did the rest of the media world react to the cable exclusive?

» New York's "Daily News" picked upon open Hunter's claim that Edwards had gone "temporarily insane."

» Mediaite seemingly touched on every topic that Morgan covered in the interview, including Elizabeth Edwards, and specific details on the sex.

» The Daily Mail noted that Hunter claimed Edward's was not in his right mind after the affair was exposed.

» The Washington Post picked up on Hunter's request to not talk about Edwards.

» The Huffington Post shared Hunter's apology for any pain caused by the extramarital affair with Edwards.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Piers In The Press
  1. Kathleen Noehren

Congratulations to Piers Morgan for having the courage to ask the hard questions of Rielle Hunter. Every other interviewer has handled her with kid gloves. The tortured "logic" she uses to justify her behavior that ultimately caused so much pain is just mind boggling. I for one hope she doesn't make a dime off that sleazy book.

June 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lori

Rielle Hunter gave an absolutely horrible interview. Even to the simplest questions, she couldn't come up with an intelligent answer, even though she acted as if she was seriously "thinking" about how to answer. She repeated almost every question, "How do you feel about that?' – answer "How do I feel about that . . .I don't understand." Come one! Piers asked normal questions that a normal person would want to know given she wrote a book about it, yet would not ever directly answer a question! She could have stayed home with as much as Piers was able to get her to talk. She seemed very childish and unintelligent. Piers, please never give her the opportunity to be on your show again!

June 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Shameon Themboth

Rielle Hunter said nothing in this interview (verbally or non-verbally) to paint a better picture of herself. The book she wrote speaks volumes about her lack of character and concern for the welfare of the children involved. It's clear how she and John Edwards both displayed a lack of common decency through their impulsive, selfish decision-making. Kudos to Piers Morgan on another excellent, thorough interview.

June 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • linda

I couldn't agree more!...My ex-husband did the same to me. He and his so called lover; are just two very selfish people; who claim that they did it for love. It is just plain stupid.

June 30, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. FartBreath

I'm not going to offer congratulations to Piers Morgan for having the courage to ask the hard questions. That's what he's there for. Not exactly rocket surgery. As far as Rielle Hunter goes, she's obviously an intelligent person, but a real tramp.

June 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. J. Sellick

Once again the U. S media made an ASS of itself !!!!! Like Pavlov"s dogs CNN salivated over the chance to jump all over Obama. pity, pity, pity.

June 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mark Richards

While on the fence concerning Piers Morgan's interview style prior to this show, I'm now firmly in the "do not like" camp. I'm not a fan of Rielle Hunter or her actions, but Piers Morgan was almost comically stern and judgemental. It was truly embarassing and painful to watch and I for one will NEVER watch Piers Morgan again. I look forward to seeing the exposure of some of the skeletons in his closet, and may be be subjected to the harshest of interviews when it happens.

June 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mary_Lakeland

I loved this interview. Mr. Morgan, you gave her a run for her money, unlike the other interview. She was frequently caught off-guard, and it was a pleasure to watch.

For her age, she clearly has not reached any level of maturity. Quite honestly, how do you get through 43 years of your life without getting pregnant, and then OOPS...really.

While Edwards clearly had a huge responsibility in this, she fails to see hers. IMO, if women stopped doing this to other women, this would be a dead issue.

Selfish, and narcissistic, and I am glad I do not have to be in her next life. What she did to Elizabeth is reprehensible, and I am only sorry for that sweet child, as was Elizabeth.

I noticed she failed to mention how gracious Elizabeth was to her daughter, as even she, in her unimaginable grief, knew this child was the ONLY innocent in this situation.

June 28, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • urjustassinful

I'm tired of the media and public acting as if they do not sin and fall short. Stop throwing stones and mind your business. Rielle and John are adults. They did what they wanted to do. John did this to his wife, not Rielle. She just flirted with him. No big deal. He pulled out his private part. If men would stop doing this to their wives this would be a dead issue, Mary. Rielle didn't promise Elizabeth "til death do us part." I'll bet John told Rielle he would spend the rest of his life with her once his wife passed. Anyway, be careful lest someone finds out your secret sin.

June 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Mary_Lakeland

Spoken as if it is coming from the horse's mouth...
        I am far too boring to have a secret sin. All of them are out in the open by now.
        Being a wife and mother is my life. I do not need more.
        You are right, I have no right to judge, (judge and you shall be judged), so this should be taken as my general opinion of how I would feel about myself, if I did this to another human being.
        Remember, he could not do this alone.
        Incidentally, I never have or would do this, unless I totally lose my morals and my mind.
        Just in case you are wondering.

July 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mary_Lakeland

Urjustassinful – Spoken as if it is coming from the horse's mouth...
        Being a wife and mother is my life. I do not need more.
        Remember, he could not do this alone.
        Just in case you are wondering.

July 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Interested

You made the best and most Needed-to-be-said points. thanx

July 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bill Brown

Piers Morgan is afraid to stray from the norm! He exudes righteous indignation toward Rielle–the other woman, but has nothing to say about the "other man." Why is the "other woman" always the villain, but the "other man" is never mentioned? Go home, Piers. You don't offer anything new. You're just an old woman gossip.

June 28, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Ken Carrothers

In my opinion, Rielle Hunter's interview showed her to be exactly what most people always thought she was – another Monical Lewinski looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She entered into an affair with a famous married man, without birth control. And now she says it was because they "were in love....".

Please, Rielle...... you are the stereotypical blonde bimbo..... and now you want people to buy your book so you can make a truckload of money????

I commend Piers for repeatedly asking you "What were you thinking..?" It's obviously that Edwards was thinking with his small head, not his big head..... It seems obvious to me that you were the only one thinking... and that you were thinking you could profit from this situation....

June 28, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mary_Lakeland

I also find it amazing what a little money has done for her looks. She has lost (10) years, at least until the botox wears off.

I love how she is trying to flirt, and Piers is just on point.

Everyone knows about the other man, Rielle is unwilling to take any responsibility. What a piece of work!

Everything is out of context

June 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. JADY

Tonight two idiots Piers and Santorum!!!!!! Rick thinks GOD should/ will pick and choose who can see doctors and ive!!!!

June 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. jaDY

Piers, where did you find Pavilch?????? She is uninformed and lying!!! PERFECT for CNN and Piers!! No wonder why CNN is last in cable news and dropping like a rock!!! She sounded like a rich little high school brat!!!! You couldn't find anyone credible from GOP to RANT????

June 29, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. lkharter

I'm not a huge fan of Piers.. he seems star stuck all the time, and I miss Larry King.. anyway, that said, he did a good
    interview w/ that idiot Rielle .. confronting her about not wanting to answer questions when her book had contained every
    "spit and toff".... perfect, Piers,really. You perform better when you stay on topic, and don't let people slither away...

June 29, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. WorldCares

Again, excellant interview, Piers. Alittle coverage may help boost the sales.
    I'll be spending that extra money on some new pruning shears.

June 29, 2012 at 2:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. JSMF

I don't feel that Rielle is taking full responsibilty for her actions. I also feel that she has not fully processed what has happened with John Edwards. She seems very cut off from her true feelings. Does she not yet realize that she was just another one of John Edwards conquest's in a long line of conquest's. Let's ask Dr. Drew it seems as though John has an addiction problem.

June 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. mimmi

I think she is telling the truth.

June 29, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. B Zabel

We watch the show in the UK and think Piers interview with Ms Hunter was amazing. It's high time Ms Hunter was confronted and exposed for the self serving, heartless person she really is. She obviously expected her 'charm' to blind side Piers and I dont think she expected his firm questioning. She is such a strange woman, it's not the fact that she has had an affair with a married man or that he lost his career because of it-he did that! It's that she has no remorse or sensitivity to the family they have affected so badly with their actions. It's obvious John Edwards at last has seen the light after her tell all book, at last !

June 30, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. kitchen cabinet refinishing

We are a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to paintings on. You have performed an impressive activity and our whole group will probably be thankful to you.

August 15, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse | Reply