Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 17th, 2012

Only In America: A British host gets an unusual name change from an American actor

In Monday’s “Only in America,” Piers Morgan looked into the origin of the nickname he received from Robert Blake last week: "Charlie Potatoes."

“Now I assumed it was less than complimentary,” Morgan said, “but then I did a little research – after all you’ll remember Robert Blake also called me ‘Mr. Research.’”

And to Morgan’s surprise and delight, the nickname was, in fact, a compliment. It came from “The Defiant Ones,” a 1958 film starring Tony Curtis. The actor dreams of one day being rich and popular. He named that man Charlie Potatoes.

Beaming after the clip played, Morgan stated "I think it’s very obvious why Robert Blake called me Charlie Potatoes.”

Morgan “couldn’t be happier,” now that he understands Blake’s 54-year-old cinematic reference. In fact, Morgan loves it so much that he joked about making his new name stick:

“I’m thinking of changing the name of this show to Charlie Potatoes Tonight.”

» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Only in America
  1. Vanessa

Well Charlie Potatoes did a smashing job of interviewing Mr crazy spud. The man who thinks the murder of his wife is not a significant part of his life.

July 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. PHIL

We know Piers loved his interview with Robert Blake. It played every other night for 4 days. Yes the man is crazy. I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHY cnn bleeps every little cuss word he says but when he takes God'S NAME IN VAIN OHH we can hear that over and over. I"m done with this show.Piers can never be fair.Piers stop being a puppet.

July 18, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Senanie

i have never seen an interview like this before
    and Piers your the greatest
    you handled it so calmly
    "cheers"

July 27, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Charlie

Blake was using the British meaning: "One who labours under the misapprehension that he all that when he ain't. Someone who thinks he's the bollocks e.g. Richard Blackwood, Chris Moyles. *'Look at that c*** swaggering about like he's Charlie Potatoes'*" - Viz Profanisaurus Rex

December 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Charlie Potatoes

April 2, 2015 at 8:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Charlie Potatoes

Dear people, I was checkin out twitty, coz everybody seems to get their dog n bones ( phones ) out and film you these days owto see if I was on there, type in name and cop all this goin on, so 2 let u know in a nice way, I AM BIGTIMECHARLIEPOTATOES AKA CHARLIE POTATOES, check us out, @naughtynathan.co.uk bigtimecharliepotatoes . Ps you were right about the Tony Curtis, and so was the other kid, about the English meaning, I always compared it with Only Fools n Horses when Delboy and 2 others are puttin 10 grand together to do a deal, when they're 30 pound short, when Rodney says In one of the lads voices, puttin his hand in his pocket, " NOT ANYMORE YOUR NOT " CLASSIC, AS SLIM WUD SAY, THE REAL CHARLIE POTATOES HAS JUST STOOD UP. SO ALL THE INDIANS CAN SIT DOWN, THE CHIEFS HERE. Kind regards charlie potatoes xPs ps could you please tell Gary ( salt n vinegar ) Lineker, sorry I thought it was he who wanted the name, soz Gaz. Laters Potatoes x

April 2, 2015 at 8:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Trey Lautaret

It¡¦s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I¡¦m happy that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

January 28, 2021 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply