Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 18th, 2012

Justice Antonin Scalia on SuperPACS vs. the First Amendment: “You can’t separate speech from the money that facilitates the speech.”

Tonight at 9 p.m. Piers Morgan is invited inside the Supreme Court for a rare and candid visit with Justice Antonin Scalia.

In an exclusive interview from Washington, D.C., the Court's longest-serving justice touches upon topics ranging from religion to politics, explaining the thinking which allows him to arrive at his legal decisions.

The "Piers Morgan Tonight" host asks the self-described textualist if he believes Founding Father Thomas Jefferson would deem today's excessive political contributions to be abusive, and against the fundamental tenants of the Constitution:

“No, I think Thomas Jefferson would have said the more speech, the better,” quips Scalia, referring to the first amendment. “That’s what the first amendment is all about. So long as the people know where the speech is coming from.”

When Morgan clarifies, insisting his question refers not to speech, but instead to campaign financing and SuperPACS, Scalia surmises that the line is blurred:

“You can’t separate speech from the money that facilitates the speech.”

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in this evening as the man who was appointed by Ronald Reagan is joined by Professor Bryan A. Garner, Scalia's co-author of the new book, "Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts."
-–
Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

1. Debie Ramirez

Has a pitbull lover,mr.vick was told my the courts as part of his parole he could NEVER own another DOG..He heeds to tell his kids why they can;t have a dog(god) backward.Have them understand or even better show them the viedos of what dad use to enjoy and support.Then they may understand why NO DOGS....Debie

July 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mark

Pierce, let the Justice finish his answer. All you seem to care about is having your question asked. Those of us watching would like to hear the answers!

July 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. caroline

Piers is brilliant with Scalia. High fives and cheers to Piers.

July 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bryan Bell

I hope you are right, but it looked to me that when it came to campaign financing by corporations, he let Scalia skate around the issue with his 'Why not corporate money?", statement.

July 18, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. r b

On Chief Justice Scalia interview: Finally, television worth watching. Among thousands and thousands of hours of inane nonsense, you have finally cut into something worth dissecting. Good on you for choosing to create and disseminate something actually worth one's time. The best hour I have seen, and the first time ever in over 40 years I have commented on your content.

July 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Binky

Great job Piers! Not sure a Justice should do interviews on CNN? Glad that a Brit did the interview. No holds barred!

July 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Vick Barker

You're interviewing a sitting member of the U.S. Supreme Court, and you're asking him about his speeding tickets and guilty pleasures! Clearly you're with a mental giant much, much larger, than yourself, and have no place to go!

July 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

This "mental Giant" as you call him, is one of the primary agents in the destruction of our democracy.

July 19, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mario

that is crap there is no justce isn't it ? scalia you are a clown

July 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kathi Pozzi, Portland OR

Piers! FINALLY you have an intelligent interesting fascinating guest who is well educated, gracious, intense and knowledgeable and you are a complete embarrassment! You'd think you would at least have had some rehearsal and background knowledge to help you from looking like such a buffoon! OMG! What an incompetent tonight! How're your ratings lately?...KMP...PDX, OR

July 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rowen

Chief Justice Scalia's decisions reflect why the morality and lack of compassion exists today. Money rules is his master.

July 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lester

How great when this Rottweiler is off the Supreme Court. The most biased appointee ever to sit. God help the U.S.

July 19, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. CJH

WHAT DID JUSTICE SCALIA SAY HIS FAVORITE FOOD WAS.... A SARDINE DISH IN A YELLOW CAN ???

July 19, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. JP

Piers was incredibly overmatched, if CNN wants to conduct another intervieew with Justice Scalia, I suggest they find someone much smarter.

July 19, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alex

Totally agree. Morgan needs to stick to interviewing Hollywood idiots and leave the scholarly interviews to those who actually prepare for an interview.

July 19, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. David in Berlin

It is disappointing and frightening that programs like Morgan´s try to give pedjudiced, compassionless ideologues like Scalia and Bachman credibility.
    I have stopped watching...

July 19, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Alex

Piers was horribly unprepared to interview a Justice of the Supreme Court. He should be embarassed, as I was embarassed for him just to watch... Scalia did a good job of not making him look like a complete idiot. Big loss of respect for Morgan after this....

July 19, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Noor

I actually watched this interview twice, only to learn that Morgan tried his very best to serve his liberal agenda and audience. Scalia was brilliant and I loved how he left Morgan without a thought to respond with on the issue of abortion and the Framers, especially when Scalia responded with "those men didn't care for their wives and daughters? As a, woman, I totally appreciated this.
    So much could have come from this interview, but instead Morgan further devalued his own show and proved his inability to truly do justice to intelligent reporting. Where have the intelligent reporters gone?

July 23, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  16. zortilonrel

Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

January 3, 2021 at 7:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Nancee Blatz

Exceptional brief which article helped me a lot. Say thank you I looking for your data?–.

January 11, 2021 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. froleprotrem

It¦s really a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

January 24, 2021 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Deena Loury

There is clearly a lot to realize about this. I suppose you made some good points in features also.

January 28, 2021 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. frolep rotrem

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

February 2, 2021 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Europa-Road gépszállítás

You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

February 9, 2021 at 3:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Tammy Bednarczyk

I am currently learning Spanish verb conjugations.Learn Spanish Online for Free

February 16, 2021 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. zortilo nrel

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

February 24, 2021 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. vreyro linomit

I went over this website and I conceive you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to bookmarks (:.

February 26, 2021 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jayna Brainard

What i don't understood is if truth be told how you're not actually a lot more well-favored than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You know therefore considerably in the case of this subject, made me individually consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it is something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. Always maintain it up!

March 4, 2021 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Russ Weatherholt

March 6, 2021 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Murray Wimber

Keep up the good work , I read few content on this website and I believe that your web blog is rattling interesting and contains circles of excellent info .

March 6, 2021 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Fabian Jeffress

Utterly pent written content, regards for information .

March 24, 2021 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Lorena Allvin

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

April 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  30. storno brzinol

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! "High living and high thinking are poles apart." by B. J. Gupta.

May 14, 2021 at 6:38 am | Report abuse | Reply