Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 26th, 2012

Ann Romney on recovering from MS, carrying the olympic torch in 2002: "You stop and pause and say, 'wow...look where I was'"

Broadcasting out of his native England, this evening Piers Morgan welcomes Mitt and Ann Romney for a candid and revealing conversation that comes roughly 24 hours prior to the 2012 Summer Olympic Games from London.

A decade since the Romneys helped host the 2002 Olympics in their home state of Utah, the "Piers Morgan Tonight" host walks the couple down memory lane:

"There was a very poignant moment, when you were asked to allow someone who was your hero, to hold the torch. And you chose your wife," reviewed Morgan. "Tell me about that."

Reflecting on that period in his life, the former Massachusetts governor shares intimate details from inside the Romney family:

"Ann had been diagnosed with MS in about 1998. And she was going downhill fast. Her right side was numb. She was having a hard time getting up stairs. We were looking at potentially seeing a wheelchair in her future. As we got closer to the Olympics, and she got stronger and stronger, we were hopeful that Ann might be someone who could carry the torch into Salt Lake City. She made the kind of progress that suggested to the people who knew her that she was a hero," reveals Romney. "And for me, there was no one who had inspired me more than Ann. And so I nominated her to be a torchbearer."

For the 63-year-old mother of five, successfully running with the olympic torch represented the last lap in what had been a marathon recovery:

"It was just so symbolic because I was barely...I was struggling with even walking as we came to Salt Lake three years before the games started," she tells Piers Morgan. "And then to know that...I don't know, that everything had come together and that there was - my life was going to be OK, and that I was getting my strength back."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in tonight at 9 p.m. as Morgan continues his conversation with the couple who may be the next residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
-–
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: The Piers Morgan Interview
  1. Susanna Ehrmann

This comment is actually about the criticism of Mitt Romney for giving honest answers when asked about the Olympics in London. I don"t know where else I may write. The media is again overplaying this. An American journalist, Brian Williams, asked Governor Romney his opinion. Mr. Romney was truthful in his answers. What is wrong with that? He didn't volunteer the comments, he did point out the postive as well. He is not two-faced, unlike other politicians and celebrities. I'm with you, Mr. Romney–and with you, Mrs. Romney. Your persistence in the face of great odds is admirable, indeed.

July 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lonzie

Mitt Romney created further security problems for the UK. Piers Morgan spoke this morning about the increased level of UK military involvement which should not be a public topic of conversation at this juncture. Mitt's undiplomatic and tactless comments makes UK security seem inept. I wonder if Scotland Yard and the military agrees

July 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jack smith

my god, r u serious?? he went abroad to imporve his resume and prove his leadership. instead, he insults the entire countly with his remarks, and after he leaves, he has hes staff call the mayor of London "a weirdo". is that how u succeed? then he heads to isreal, and says how good their health care system is, very low cost compared to america, and america needs to find a way to reduce health care cost. yeah, figure that, it is a one payer system in isreal, socialized medicine, exactly what willard rails against, what a moron. to cap off the isreal visit, he insults the palistinians culture...twice in one sentence. a few hours later, when asked abou the culture comments, willard said "i was not talking about the palastinian culture. the next day, willard said "what else could it be, but the culture"? flip, flop flip, three times in a day. just like the circus. what a clown, and u defend his "honest comments". the dude is an embarassment to america, and shameless in the process. the biggest hypocritical pathological liar ever seen in politics, and u defend him?? you gotta be a tea bagger! romney is on both sides of any issue at any good pandering time. he is hiding taxes, tax plans. had the gaul to say "ameican dont want details, they want results" really? i got news for u willard, we want both. fool!!

August 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. John Moses, MD

Thank you for pressing Mitt Romney on the issue of gun violence. If US laws were changed, there would be fewer deaths due to gun violence; it's that simple. There is no credible justification for current gun laws in the US.

July 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susanna Ehrmann

I beg to differ with you about the decrease in gun violence. In fact, I doubt that there will be any decrease in violence before we as a society in general cease being obsessed with doing everything instantaneously. There is too much noise and too much clutter in this high-tech society of ours. Insecure people see themselves only as numbers and crave attention. Committing acts of violence is one way to achieve their goals.

I do agree with you that gun laws out to be changed, but I have thought that for about four decades, ever since I was part of a gun control group in Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois, headed by Mrs. Laura Fermi, the widow of Enrico Fermi. Changing the laws might be a start, but other things need to be done. For example, I think that the theater has some blame in this horrific incident. Evidently the exit door was not alarmed, so that nothing rang to alert people of the perpetrator's exit, which also allowed him to prop the door open to re-enter the building. When I visit a public venue, I expect it to have passed all safety standards and abide by them continuously, with no exception. We have work to do in that arena as well, I think.

July 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • riverhawk

I have never seen alarms on theater exit doors. I have seen these doors routinely used by theater guests to exit after the movie is over. Never thought of them as emergency only exits, and always viewed the fact they couldn't be opened from the outside as a means to control access, i.e. keep freeloaders from getting in without paying, but not as a security device to protect theater patrons from armed gunmen.

July 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susanna Ehrmann

first sentence, second paragraph: ought to be changed–sorry, missed it at the first proof read

July 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adam

"Gun control? It’s the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I’m a bad guy, I’m always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You pull the trigger with a lock on, and I’ll pull the trigger. We’ll see who wins." – Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, Mafia turncoat, when asked about gun control in a 1999 issue of Vanity Fair magazine.

August 1, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charley Reese

"In a world in which predators exist, it is necessary forthe non-predators to have the means of defending themselves. ... Peope think if they ban ownership of weapons, evil will go away. Wrong. They think government can protect them. Wrong. Wishful thinkers often end up as prey." – Charley Reese

August 1, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

August 1, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. seth lesch

I am watching your interview with Gov. Mitt Romney. It's interesting how you portray him as the victim and saviour without actually asking him about specifics about his vision or records as to how he used his experience to govern Massachusets. Granted, there was not enough time to go over everything but you appear to distort the economic argument the opponents are making about his contracdicting his own records just to get elected. Maybe out of courtesy but i twould have been more objective the play the role of a jornalist like you always did.

July 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. mark emery

piers, I love the uk, married a scot. love the queen. what rock did you crawl out from under.
    You sound like you would be happy in any socialist dictators country. I WILL AVOID AT ALL
    COSTS TO ME ANY OF YOUR SPONSERS AND WILL WRITE EACH ONE AS I DISCOVER THEM.

July 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. seth lesche

Sorry , last sentence meant to read ' Maybe out of courtesy but it would have been more objective if you played the role of a journalist like you always did'
    Thanks for your interesting program Piers. I am a fan.

July 26, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Tony

I am nomally a fan of Piers Morgan's interview skills...but not tonight. A 5 yar old could have prepared responses to so many "softball" questions. Please! We deserve a more intellectually stimulating discussion Good thing my TV has an on/off switch. Bye bye Piers.

July 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grandits

I agree bye bye Piers. Maybe you should join Fox news, I am sure they loved your interview of the Romney's . I will stick from now on to PBS and NPR. So long Piers...

July 29, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Audrey Larson

Piers Morgan, I have the greatest respect for you as a newsman. You handled Robert Blake's difficult interview very well. What I want you to ask Mitt Romney point blank...and get a straight answer...Is Mitt Romney a Freemason?

I believe alll Americans have the right to know. And I believe this question should be asked of Mitt Romney NOW. Thank you.

July 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. amy

Hey Ann, Why didn't you include your granddaughters in your comment about watching the men compete in the 'Romney Family Olympics" Hmmmmm?

July 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Thomas Hauck

With the one exception of the line of questioning devoted to gun control, tonight I thought I was watching not CNN but Fox & Friends. C'mon, Piers, you could have done much better than to give Mr. Romney a free pass.

July 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bernice bagnaschi

Poor interview by Piers. What softballs you were pitching to Willard and his wife. Couldn't believe you didn't question him about his repeal heathcare reform position. His wife was fortunate to have good healthcare. What would he say to the husband who has no health insurance because his wife has a pre=existing condition?

July 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. wandajohnson

hatw

sorry
    interveiw

July 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Marianne

Unfortunate that so many leftists comment, but then it IS a CNN Website, so I guess its to be expected. Their loss! Piers Morgan did one of the best interviews with Mitt and Ann Romney I have EVER seen. Of course, liberals aren't going to like it no matter what he says, but kudos to Piers! Keep that up and you will get a lot higher ratings!

July 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • riverhawk

Unfortunate that anyone with a different view than I gets to coment on this website. I guess freedom of speech is only if you agree with everything I say.

July 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Donald

AGREE!! To the so called journalist Piers the leftist , the clueless Morgan, you got it wrong again you bubbling fool. Please get your FACTS right. Watch two min. of the interview with Romney and his wife. And his states that the latest mass shooting was the WORST EVER....do your homework.....The San Ysidro McDonald's massacre was an incident of mass murder that occurred on July 18, 1984, in a McDonald's restaurant in the San Ysidro section of San Diego, California. The shootings resulted in 21 people killed (including five children) and 19 others injured. Again A HOLE PIERS is speaking wrong. Just like the Travon Martin shooting please, I don't even want to start with that tobucle. He is the BIGGEST JOKE ON TV PERIOD!!!!

July 27, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. q

mitt beliefs in freedom as long as some body else fights for it and pays for it .why didnt you ask the draft dodger why he ran and hide during vietnam .i dont vote for chicken hawks no matter what party

July 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Pamelaleb

What I see as a problem is that Mitt and Ann can't even recognize their own narcissism. They truely are not living in the real world. They are living in the rich and elite and can not see the bottom of the 99%. They are oblivious. Really!!!

July 26, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • nicholas

"I heard Marco Rubio the other day … he said 'You know we were poor living in Miami. We saw these all these big homes across town. My parents never said 'Gee, why don't those people give us some of what they have?' they said instead, 'Aren't we lucky to live in a country with education and hard work, we might be able to achieve that ourselves.' "

What was narcissistic about them? they earned what they have and a grateful to live a country that allowed them to do it. M grandparents immigrated and fought in Korea and WWII. Their children worked even harder and I work harder everyday for my children. How are they out of touch? He wants to make this economy what it needs to be. What is Obama's plan?? (besides "look at what others have!") you're the delusional one..in what other country can you build the life you want?? The Romney's finally got a decent interview

July 27, 2012 at 4:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Margaret

I think Clinton said it well; It's not that he is rich that gets to a lot of us. It's that he thinks that a different set of rules allpy to him. So do most of the rich and big business executives. I've heard one say business is about having an unfair advantage over the other. Well, the consumer–us–is the other. Another said to congress there is no law against gouging the public. Many treat their employees as a Human Resource, not Human Beings with lives separate from work. Rommey said months ago that he doesn't care about the poor, etc.. He says that they have a safety net which by the way his party is unraveling as fast as they can. The problem with Obama's administration is that Congress refused to work with him at all. We have a system of checks and balances so ONE MAN cannot do it all by himself.
        If he could it would be a DICTATORSHIP. It seems to me a lot of the rich would like to return to the state of affairs as it was before WWI. Not all the rich were like the head of the manor on Dowton Abbey.

July 27, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kate

liked the interview loved her coat where can i get it

July 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barbara

You are a twit! After all that's being said, you want to know where she buys her clothes????? In case you can't sleep without knowing, Ann Romney probably bought it at the same place she bought the $900(?) hideous fish(?) t-shirt. Feel better now knowing you can imitate her???????

July 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. amy

Piers, Did you ask Mittens about Broeder Brothers?

July 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Mitt walks and sits like a WUSSS

Worst interview I have ever seen Piers give. Obviously, Piers had to provide Miitt and Ann the questions before they would agree to the interview. Lot's of softballs toosed at Mitt. Commom Piers. Were used to a lot better from you.

July 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Joan

What a soft interview. I thought I was watching Fox News or a Mitt Romney campaign ad. Very disappointing. When he talked about saving the Olympics, he said he got it all organized and arranged the finances. Well, a billion of those finances came from a government bailout that he now criticizes so much. When he bragged about his time at Bain why didn't you question him about the conflict in timelines. He said he left in 1999 but a couple of years later testified that he still worked there in order to qualify to run for Governor of Massachusettes. Then in 2003 he signed SEC papers as the CEO of the company. Anyone with half a business brain knows you can't "resign retroactively". Give me a break. Why won't he release his taxes? What is he hiding? If he repeals health care reform, what will he replace it with, when will it take effect and how will he pay for it? A mandate maybe? There were so many important questions that could have been asked but left out. Oprah would have done a better interview. Ann Romney seems like a lovely lady and I am glad she feels better but I wish she would reveal her secret to recovering from MS. I have friends with MS and it is a progressive, degenerative disease with no chance of recovery. I am sure they would like to know how she was cured.

July 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marcia Betts

I have MS. I have not been cured and don't expect to be. I was diagnosed the same year and have been on Avonex injections since then. I am still fully mobile but struggle with fatigue. I resent her saying she is " cured" for all of us who know that is not possible. It diminishes our struggles to lead normal lives. I am thankful for my great insurance and the National MS Society for their contribution to the struggle.

July 31, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. S. Levin

I have yet to hear Mitt Romney say how he is going to get the economy moving. The U.S. is not Bain Capitol. More outsourcing is not the answer here. Just how is Romney going to fix things or is he waiting for the Koch brothers to tell him?

July 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dee

Help...had to change channel...bring back Larry King...we need hard core questions...P thought he was at his house....... having a tea party...with .Mitt SOOO SAD....Watching you kiss his ...

July 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jim win

Tell romneys wife to grow up. I have MS and the days you think you can't get up are. The days you try harder. I really don't like her using that for sympathy. Tell her horse to work hard and earn his massage I don't qualify for.

July 26, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Michael Moskwik

It was difficult watching your interview with the Romney's in England. They have no Idea what the common man and what this country is going through. I had to tell my Autistic son that he could not come home this weekend because I had no money for food....well we settled on rice and beans. OH yes, I have a job, buy the last time I made the money I make today was in 1987. I have been layed off 3 time in my life, the last two in the past few years. I am still paying off the past two years of medical deductables. At the end of the month I am negiative...My company is being taken over buy a much bigger corporation, Are we being sold off, will I be layed off or fired,???. I was told " DO NOT GO TO HR" to ask questions.....they are against the employees, Which sadly is true, they are there to protect the corporation and talk down to the low paying lower middle class.
    Piers, Please dont unsult us by laughing with the 1 percenters, make us proud and fight for the Quickly dying US layperson. We REALLY need all the help we can, because the powers that be are killing us.....

Yours truly,

A single father that is about to go under if things don't change.

Michael Moskwik

July 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cary

Michael,

I have to agree with you. I felt the same way. This wasn't true Pierce reporting at all. Although I think he wanted to keep the tone cordial but still....it was way off what was expected.

So what lesson did we learn about Romney's foreign policy? Total freakin fiasco...blunder of all blunders

July 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Monique

When I read stupid comments such as yours , I understand that you have had bad choices of Presidents in the last few years.
        Mr. Romney handled this interview with proper decorum , you don't go to a foreign country and discuss foreign policies or undermine your sitting President .
        They are a nice couple and they are rich , so what.

July 27, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. stormy

I feel very sorry for you Americans if MOMMYS BOY Mitt Rommey gets in! They are sooooooooo phonyyyyyy!!!!!!!

July 26, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Robert J. Morris

What came out strikingly is Mrs. Mitt’s long history of medical problems. She apparently was diagnosed long ago with MS, plus breast cancer, and other medical “emergencies.” She claims she is now very fit and healthy, and she looks well, but she lamented that for years, “I was so sick and so weak.” She is now 63, so all this has been in her pre-Medicare days.

What saved her life, she says, was the horses. “Horses cured me,” she told Morgan. “Horses feed my soul.” Well, it’s a lovely success story, and as with anyone who gets their health back, I celebrate.

But what else saved her was lots and lots of medical care, and I kept thinking as I listened to her, “Lucky you had health insurance and horses and Mitt's millions. Lots of your fellow Americans have none of these. Lots of your fellow Americans are sick, too, and they can’t afford even to have a wart removed. ‘Obamacare,’ as your cronies insist on calling it, remedies much of that inequality, yet your hubby has vowed to repeal it on his first day in office. But I’m glad that you’re doing so well. ‘Let them eat cake.’”

July 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Cary

No offense Pierce, but how much did Romney and GOP pay you for that Paid interview tonight? While the right wing media hammers on President Obama...you offer this type of trash interview? No questions, it was merely Mitt saying more lies and his wife saying "trust, trust, trust" fifty million times. Fact is, Mitt can't be trusted based on what he presents so far. Let him start by answering questions about his taxes and being honest with the American people

July 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jen Frederick

On a day when her husband made so many gaffes against the British, I take much personal offense to Ann's comment that riding Western Pleasure/Trail 'takes no real skill or talent!' As a Horse Show Judge, Riding Coach, and owner of 2 well-trained trail horses, it takes much more skill to walk over a wooden bridge, sidepass logs, jump over ditches, traverse water that maybe Ann should have spent more time training her husband's rude Anglo-Saxon tongue before going to London!

July 27, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. German the Hispanic type

Pierce,

Fierce Morgan should be your stage name. Mitt represents the 1% of us, probably more along the lines of the .001% of us. You craftfully allowed the Romneys to show their top brass, or top gold! They are completely out of touch with any reality. I hope we look at this as a low point in the history of the USofA, the establishment and the religious fanfare has done enough damage... Time to retire them. I think this election is a vindication of what 99% of America is really made of! The establishment needs to grow up!

July 27, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Jim Davis

Liberals made fun of a sick person like this for being a stay at home mom? If it had been Obama's wife that was sick, there'd be an outcry like you NEVER heard. Liberals live by a double standard. Michele Obama never earned anything. She complained her way through school and then got her job because of her husband. Ridiculous. She's done nothing. Don't believe me? Read that thesis of hers. She's racist, not the people she was complaining about that were trying to be nice to an angry racist black woman.

July 27, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barbara

Your comments are too stupid for a reply. Did you read this somewhere? I think we've already heard these comments before, almost verbatim, but you appear to have them memorized.

July 27, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Essie

@Jim Davis....How dare you say that the First Lady has never earned anything or worked?!! She has worked more than Ann & Laura put together! You say that she complained...IF SHE DID, SO WHAT!! At least she went to school and became a lawyer! She's done her due diligence! But, Queen Ann has done....NOTHING!!! You CONS/REPUBS are clueless & idiotic!!! ~The 1st Lady has class... Ann needs to go to school and get some!! ...Now what, Jim?!!

July 27, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • petaud

Jim maybe you should do your research before you make stupid ignorant statements,or maybe you should turn off the FOX MENTAL GED CHANNEL

July 27, 2012 at 4:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Cynthia C

Piers,
    I realize it's not as easy to critically analyze a candidate's policies when you are facing them as it is when discussing with other guests. Listening to you, however, pose questions that contained easy exit answers for Fmr Gov Romney, particularly regarding Bain Capital, was extremely disappointing. You seemed uncharacteristically more intent on keeping the waters smooth than causing any waves, and you know that the Romneys have a watercraft for any type of conditions.
    I too am curious about Ann Romney's health status. Is she stating that her MS condition is better than it is in order to avoid any discussion about her potential to fulfill the duties of a First Lady? We here in Colorado have one of the highest rates of MS. Those without insurance are lucky to get medicare after battling two years to get disability benefits. I'd really like to know what types of treatments other than horses worked for Ms. Romney.

July 27, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. kimberly

Mr. Morgan,We watch your show regularly .....and have been very impressed with your show,until this evening.What happened! Your usual to the point, hard hitting, blunt questioning of your guests,went right out the window.Soo disappointing..And why ask Mitt Romney's wife to answer all the questions you should be asking him? It was like watching the puppet master (Mrs. Romney) and the puppet Mitt Romney.I don't get it, did someone pay you to do that interview,you should give them there money back.It seems you compromised yourself as the journalist that you have been..for a real soft , boring, safe interview.I have no more insight into Mitt Romney than I did before you conducted the interview...I sure know a heck of a lot about Mrs.Romney.........but then again,SHE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT! I'm sorry.... but your interview blows.....

July 27, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barbara

Piers always puckers up his lips in that "prissy" way of his when he is kissing someone's behind, which he frequently does...the point is, he was soft on the Romney's because [Donald] Trump the Chump is his mentor and hero and we all know who Trump the Chump endorsed. I had to turn the interview off – it was ridiculous.

July 27, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Caleb

Mr. Morgan,

Who painted The Last Supper? A. The Paintbrush. B. Leonardo Da Vinci.
    Who played the Moonlight Sonata? A. The Piano. B. Beetoven.
    Who is the suspect in the Colorado Theater Massacre? A. The Guns. B. James Holmes.

I am definitely open to discussion on this one and respect you as a very smart man. Taking away our inalienable right to keep and bear arms is not justifiable. Putting firearms into the hands of law abiding Citizens is a necessity when it comes to protecting ourselves, our families, and those around us that are in danger. If one of the Citizens in that Movie Theater would have been armed with a concealed weapon, and would have taken out Holmes, saving dozens of lives, how would this debate change? When the Government takes away our right to keep and bear arms, wouldn't that mean that they are taking all responsibility in insuring each and everyone of ours safety? I remember a few years ago, Walmart had signs posted at their entrances stating that Concealed Weapons were not aloud. A Concealed Weapons Permit holder entered a Walmart without his gun, due to the sign. The Permit holder was shot. He sued Walmart due to not providing him with safety after they took away his right to carry on their property. Where does this Walmart case differentiate from the National aspect? Again, I respect your opinion and would like to hear what you and others think.

Respectfully,
    Caleb

July 27, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Barbara

"If one of the Citizens in that Movie Theater would have been armed with a concealed weapon, and would have taken out Holmes, saving dozens of lives." Do you know how ridiculous this argument is? Every time we have a mass murder shooting, some stupid yokel says the exact same thing and yet I've never heard of ONE, NOT ONE, of these "packing/carrying" robots stopping ANY mass shooter, so what are you talking about????

July 27, 2012 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Caleb

Stupid yokel here....Crazy how I am respectful yet I am the stupid one. Ill just stay professional though. Mass murders aside, look at crime period. I hear very often about concealed weapons permit holders stopping criminals, saving othera lives, or saving their own. Next time there is a crime in progress and I am there, ill ask around to see who is against our 2nd Amendment. Those who are against it, sorry I cant help you. As for those for the 2nd Amendment, I will do anything and everything possible to get them out alive. And Barbara, sinse you dont need nor want your 2nd Amendment, go ahead and forget about the other Amendments too. No more freedom of religion, no more speaking your opinion. Then what do you have? Criminals are criminals, if you take away guns, criminals are going to do what they do best. Lie, cheat, and steal to get guns, then use the guns on umarmed Citizens because they know the gun law just passed.

July 27, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Jacki Gansch

Funny thing is, I seldom – VERY seldom – hear about someone who's carrying a concealed weapon being able to use it in a crime in progress. I do hear more often than I'd like about kids who have been able to access a parent's gun and shoots a friend or family member either purposely or accidentally. Not many people are against the second amendment. Mostly we want the laws enforced that we already have and reasonable limits placed on that right. After all, our first amendment gives us freedom of speech, yet we are not allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. No gun reforms are going to stop every crazy nutter from committing heinous acts. But stopping one or two or a few of these senseless acts would be worth it not to mention all the other single acts of violence that could be stopped. Keep your handgun You know what criminals fear most when breaking into a home? Not an owner fast asleep with a gun. They fear big dogs!So if you really want to feel safe, get a big, noisy dog. The idea that if someone in that theatre had been carrying a concealed weapon he could have stopped the shooter is ridiculous. That guy was able to get off 30-60 rounds in less than a minute and he had all the advantages. He threw a smoking cannister of something which diffused the already dark theatre, he was wearing all black, and HE didn't have to aim at just one person. All he had to do was level the gun and sweep.

July 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. worldcares

Good interview Piers. The ball was in your court.
    I'm a Democrat and will vote for Obama.
    I respect the Romneys because they have five sons who were recently interviewed.
    I liked that interview.
    I have two sons, the oldest, age 26, who is autistic and the youngest, age 25, who is not autistic.

July 27, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Essie

Piers Morgan is part of CNN, and they have been bought! Piers knew that Romney went over there and embarrassed these United States, and said NOTHING!! If that was Pres. Obama it would've been Breaking News all day on CNN! ...The Romney's will NEVER grace our White House, if "we the people" has anything to say about it! ~This independent will unequivocally vote for PRESIDENT OBAMA!!! -Thanks, Piers for helping me make up my mind! 🙂

July 27, 2012 at 3:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. PETAUD

CNN is losing all credibility as a News Organization,Pierce what an amateurish interview.Why the softball questions,he may as well been on Fox.For you to say Mitt Romney is disliked is disingenious,that is not why he is disliked,he is a fraud thats why.Another thing get back to AGT because your interviewing skills are elementary at best.

July 27, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wallster

Piers isn't a news interviewer, he's a gameshow personality who can only give snarky criticism to jugglers and magicians. He's out of his element and the decision to replace Larry King with this little fish was probably a decision based on saving money. CNN shouldn't be biased but they do tread the water very lightly when interviewing controversial individuals (especially political figures). CNN should stay safe and stick to the entertainment programming they produce. Interviewing a movie actor before an opening is safe and keeps the advertising rolling in. Leave the news to PBS.

July 27, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Petaud

I sure would like to know what medication Mrs Romney is taking for her MS.I had one friend bed ridden for 15 yrs with MS and eventually died.I have two currently confined to wheel chairs and slowly deterioating.I know my friends do not have the money the Romney's have ,but to have a disease capable of destroying the body and to have it for the period of time she has had it seems strange for her to be that healthy and full of vigor. Hmmm

July 27, 2012 at 4:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacki Gansch

I do not understand Ann Romney's miraculous cure from MS. A horse??? Please. Why didn't Piers press her on the medication or treatment she received? Their blind trust invested in a company that conducts stem cell research (until he decided to run for President). Is Piers auditioning for a job at Fox News? He may as well because he certainly can't ask the hard questions. Although in fairness,

July 27, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • Jacki Gansch

I was going to say in fairness, Larry King was definitely more of an entertainer than a journalist, too.

July 27, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  35. Wallster

Piers really lobbed some softballs over the plate for Mitt, he was like a school girl interviewing Justin Beiber. When Mitt had his diatribe regarding the public attacks on the wealthy Piers should have asked him about his offshore tax havens. A fair question since he's openly admitted to having them. Also, Mitt's comments on gun control laws sounds like he doesn't believe anything can be done if an individual is set on attacking others. If this is the case, why do I have to be frisked, disrobed, and walk through an airport shoeless if "we just can't legislate safety". Maybe Piers should go back to criticizing dog acts on network TV where he belongs since he just can't confront important issues with people like Scalia or Romney without a twinkle in his eye.

July 27, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  36. JonnyCant

Mr M still around? Waste of TV bandwidth.

July 27, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Haywood

Piers Morgan should be fired!!!!!!! This was one of the worst interviews I have seen in my 60 years. The questions were soft and he literally gave the Romneys answers. Piers Morgan is a joke!!!!!

July 27, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Sheila

Souned more like a fireside chat to me. Very disappointed with the pandering to Mr. Romney. I don't know what interviewers are unable to ask the hard question and get straight answers.

July 27, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  39. MesaMom

Horses don't cure MS. I'm sure she had access to some treatment that the average MS sufferer doesn't get. Why does it seem like a lot of what these 2 say is incomplete at best?

July 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  40. sandra

I will repeat what I posted under a different blog. This was the most sophmoric, softball, pro romney interview I have ever seen outside of FOX. What a shame.

July 27, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  41. CommunistHater

NOBAMA2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T RE-NIG 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BYE BYE LIBTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  42. ljmf

This was a fluffy "interview". How could you allow chitter chatter about this rich family's fun games for their holidays in a mansion at the lake? Anne Romney was diagnosed with MS incorrectly. It is not a curable disease, especially not by sitting on an expensive horse. Good for trying about guns but it was too easy to crush Romney's response and you let it go. If no one obeys laws, why do we have any at all, right down to STOP signs? C'mon, Piers. You do suck up to celebs all the time.

July 28, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Kate

Hope you give President Obama the same time to campaign on national tv. Why are you giving him so much time? I will still vote for President Obama as Romney is only about getting rich and success for himself. He has nothing in common with the average man. I don't want to hear about how rich and successful he is. Tell him to give the american people all his last ten years of income tax returns. You are a suck up.

July 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pete

So...you are telling me that I should care more about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what Obama does with mine....? OK

August 1, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  44. jd

Mitt the Twit. He really lived up to that name during your interview, as did Ann. They are both out of touch with reality and have no idea how they are perceived. An embarrassment to the US, really.

July 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  45. albert

Romney's HORSE in the Olympics...?? & his sons are @ the Olympics w/him....??..Money talks..I do not like Mrs Romney's taste in clothes..no class,,no taste .....the boys were destructive where they lived..they had problems keeping help: Housekeepers, Nannys, Cooks, /they all signed papers w/Romney's lawyers..so we will never know....

July 30, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Newoger

I only have one thing to say, YOU DO NOT RECOVER FROM MS, YOU GO INTO REMISSION. Once you have MS you are stuck with it for life. It can and does return in varying stages and sometimes it kills you. Yes there are drugs that can cause it to appear to go away, but you still have it and it can and does return. I have known and lost to many people in my life who had or have MS and I could not let that statement pass w/o comment.

July 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Karen

I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 and have symptoms that are tolerable when I am under the treatment of my neuro with meds and plenty of rest when required. Ann Romney's physical ability level as well as her cognitive recall appear to be remarkable for a patient who claims to have MS. Wonder if the MS society has received additional donations due to all the publicity.

August 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  48. nhan bau vat

You realize thus significantly in the case of this subject, produced me individually consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men aren't fascinated unless it's something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. All the time take care of it up!

September 15, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  49. villanyszerelo

Hiya very nice web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I'm happy to seek out a lot of helpful information right here in the put up, we need work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

October 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply