Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

July 27th, 2012

Michael Phelps on Michael Jordan: "He came out every single night on the court and did what he had to do...that's what champions do"

Coming up on Monday night at 9 p.m., "Piers Morgan Tonight" welcomes one of the most-decorated Olympic athletes in history, 16-time medal winner Michael Phelps.

Joining Piers Morgan as he prepares for his third games, the 27-year-old swimming legend is asked to extend his thinking outside of the pool, as the host dives in with a deeper, and broader question:

"Who are your sporting idols?" Morgan asks the man so similarly described by others.

"Michael Jordan," responds Phelps, nearly as quickly as he executes one of his trademark flip turns. "He changed the sport of basketball in my eyes. On and off the court, the guy made basketball what it is. And, you know, what he did."

What the basketball Hall of Famer did, was rewrite the history of his craft, much in the same way Phelps is doing with his. A six-time NBA champion, and two-time Olympic gold medalist, Jordan's overall talent was rivaled only by his overwhelming will to win, a trait not lost on the equally-competive Phelps:

"I think one of the coolest things that I loved about him was it didn't matter what he had going on off the court or if he was sick or this, that. He never used an excuse," explains the man who has twice tied the record with eight medals of any type at a single Olympics. "He came out every single night on the court and did what he had to do to get his job done. That's what champions do. It doesn't matter what else is going on when you walk in to your arena, whatever you excel at, you’re there to take care of the job that you have to do."

Watch the clip, and listen to the interview, then tune in Monday night at 9 p.m. for a candid conversation with the man who finds himself a mere three medals away from becoming the winningest athlete in Olympic history.
» Follow Piers Morgan Tonight on Twitter

Post by:
Filed under: Pride of America
  1. John Wo

After Piers Morgan went after Robert Blake, who I am no fan of, in a shameless display of attack journalism, he then tees it up for Mitt Romney with a series of fawning softball questions with no meaningful followups. That's what you get when hire from the ranks of reality show contestants and talent show judges.

July 28, 2012 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carole

This is about Phelps. Mitt Romney has a pool? You gotta be kidding!

August 4, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. colormecoolz

Piers I think your interview is sneaking and a malicious attack on American women.As you as mr.Phelps if he's ever had proper dating.Why wouldn't he of ever had a proper date American women can be proper just like anywhere else .That PDA in front of the queen was disgusting there was no need for them to makeout in front of the queen is that proper according to the skit he just meet the girl.It says to me London is lowering it's standards letting you take pot shots at our athelètes esspecially one that makes Great Brittian look like sissys

July 28, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. water damage Los Angeles

It is actually a great and useful piece of info. I'm happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

July 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nancy

Please write a letter of apology to the people of United Kingdom, letting them know Mitt Romney's rude comments was uncalled for. Mitt Romney along with Bob Costas from NBC were all hoping this big day would be ruined for the people of London who worked hard to put a wonderful show. Romney has deliberately put a dent on our relationship with United Kingdom. We understand he needs his support from Israel or the chosen people won't let him win the election for Israel in United States.

July 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

I am English and he hasn't offended me one bit , refreshing kind of for somebody to speak the truth.
      David Cameron to call the Salt Lake City Olympics a place in the middle of nowhere , now that was rude as it was meant as a personal insult.

July 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Andre R. Newcomb

Michael. Jordan had some issues to settle with the guy who killed his father. If it wouldn't have been for that he might have gotten Jabbar's scoring record. YOU don't need a hero.

August 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Air Jordans Shoes

Hello,just wanted to tell you,I enjoyed this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting! Air Jordans Shoes http://www.approb.com/Air-Jordans-Shoes.html

June 14, 2013 at 5:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. nba jerseys

Buy Exclusive NBA Team Jerseys! The Official Store of the NBA. http://www.nbabasketballjerseys.vip
    nba jerseys http://www.nbabasketballjerseys.vip/

July 23, 2017 at 6:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Parthenia

I have to thank you for the efforts you've place
    in penning this website. I am just hoping to find out exactly the same high-grade blog articles on your part down the road too.
    In reality, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to acquire my own,
    personal, personal site now 😉

Have a look at my blog :: dot grid notebook for bullet journal

December 24, 2020 at 6:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Penelope

Remarkable things here. I am very happy to peer your post.
    Thank you so much and I'm taking a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... food stickers

January 13, 2021 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. wallet with notebook and pen

Our company is a team of volunteers and opening a whole new scheme
    in your community. Your site offered us with valuable info
    to operate on. You possess done an amazing job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

my page; wallet with notebook and pen

January 30, 2021 at 3:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. fauxdori travelers

You need to be a part of a contest for just one of the best blogs on the internet.
    I'm going to strongly suggest this web site!

Look into my web-site ... fauxdori travelers

February 2, 2021 at 6:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. credit card pocket

An individual essentially lend a hand to produce critically posts I
    would state. This can be the first time I frequented your website and
    to date? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this type of submit extraordinary.
    Wonderful process!

my homepage; credit card pocket

February 24, 2021 at 9:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. credit card pocket insert

You can definitely watch your expertise inside
    the article you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers as if you who
    are not afraid to say the direction they believe.
    Always go after your heart.

My homepage; credit card pocket insert

March 1, 2021 at 4:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. SamuelPGabay

Inspiring story there. What happened after? Take care!

Also visit my web-site SamuelPGabay