READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For January 17, 2013 – Manti Te'o: A linebacker, a made-up girlfriend and a national hoax, Algeria confirms 'ongoing operation' after hostage-taking and Lance Armstrong stripped of Olympic medal...
• Manti Te'o: A linebacker, a made-up girlfriend and a national hoax: "Sports website Deadspin published a piece dismissing as a hoax the existence of Manti Te'o's girlfriend - the one who he said died around the same time as his real-life grandmother while his team marched toward the BCS National Championship Game."
• Algeria confirms 'ongoing operation' after hostage-taking: "Algerian authorities confirmed an "ongoing operation" to deal with the seizing of foreign hostages at a gas installation in Algeria, the British Foreign Office told CNN Thursday."
• Obama-backed gun bills considered a long shot in Congress: "Despite supporters' hopes that this time it's different, President Barack Obama's new call for restricting some semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines will face deeply entrenched resistance in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and could be a long shot even in the Democratic-led Senate."
• Boeing's Dreamliner fleet grounded: "Boeing's global fleet of 787 Dreamliners has been taken out of service after U.S. regulators said they were not safe to fly until a fire risk linked to the aircraft's batteries has been resolved."
• Lance Armstrong stripped of Olympic medal: "Not only is disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong no longer officially a Tour de France winner - he's no longer an Olympic medalist either."