READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.
Each day, we here at "Piers Morgan Tonight" put together the news you need to know – from what happened last night to what will happen today.
For January 30, 2013 – Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords to speak at gun hearing, defense cuts blamed for economic slowdown, and with J.J. Abrams in place, 'Star Wars' fans brace for future...
• Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords to speak at gun hearing: "Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head in 2011, will give the opening statement at Wednesday's Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence, according to two sources close to Giffords."
• Defense cuts blamed for economic slowdown: "Uncle Sam cut spending and businesses drew down inventories in the fourth quarter of 2012, causing the U.S. economy to contract for the first time in more than three years."
• Iraq vet undergoes successful double-arm transplant: "A U.S. Army infantryman who lost all four limbs in a 2009 roadside explosion in Iraq has undergone radical transplant surgery that may help him regain use of his arms."
• Toyota recalls 1 million cars in the U.S.: "The Japanese carmaker said Wednesday it was recalling more than 1 million vehicles sold in the United States over faulty airbags and windshield wipers."
• With J.J. Abrams in place, 'Star Wars' fans brace for future: "Last week J.J. Abrams - a seemingly unimpeachable choice, with his producing, directing and writing experiences on 'Lost,' 'Fringe,' 'Super 8' and the rebooted 'Star Trek' - was announced as the director of the forthcoming Star Wars VII.' And the world went nuts."