Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 2nd, 2013

Morgan Heist on her estranged mother Brenda Heist: "I don't think she deserves to see me"

On Wednesday evening, on the heels of the bizarre story of a Pennsylvania woman, Brenda Heist, who re-emerged Friday after having gone missing for more than a decade, the family that Heist abandoned shared their reaction to the news with Piers Morgan.

"We're both very shocked," said Heist's ex-husband, Lee Heist. "My daughter immediately became emotional."

"I don't think she deserves to see me," said Heist's daughter, Morgan Heist, when asked if she wants to be reunited with her mother. "I don't really have any plans on going to see her."

Watch the clip and listen to the interview as Heist's daughter tells Morgan how she felt upon seeing the most recent photo of her mother.
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
» Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: In the Chair
  1. jdgatineau

Harry i regret you had to add a uncivilized comment like if i took my med, If i had to take any yes i would take them like the Doctor prescribes. Thanks you. I hope you would do the same as well. It is not because a person take medication that the person doesn't have the status of being a legal person, Status meaning a person take medication but is still in regards to the law, in control of his full judgement and his full strength of intelligence. It is deplorable that you have to make use of mean allusion freely to lower a person in order to make give your point some validity. That is an error of yours.
    REgards.

May 3, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • stan

Dear jdgatineau: Will you please just SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!! You sound utterly stupid and unintelligent, and your continuous nonsensical rantings and ramblings are purely vacuous!!!

May 3, 2013 at 3:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • jdgatineau

Stan, is what you say can be describe has what the US if fighting so much for, are you bullying me?

May 3, 2013 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
      • jdgatineau

Stan,

May 3, 2013 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Marcus Welby

JD: I admire your "full strength of intelligence" and want some of whatever medications you're taking. I presume it's stronger than booze or weed. Thanks.

May 3, 2013 at 9:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. MKW

My comments are directed to Morgan Heist.

I don't know you, your family, or your Mother. I sincerely apologize for my unsolicited thoughts. I just wanted to say...

I hope that one day, when you are older, you will understand that people make really stupid mistakes when they are in difficult situations. I hope that you will learn that absolute forgiveness and compassion will make YOU a happier and more complete person.

Life is just too short for hatred and bitterness. I'm 45 years old, and I held a huge grudge against my Mother for really terrible things that she put me through in my teens. I kept the hatred going until I was in my LATE THIRTIES. At one point, I wrote her the most hate-filled letter and sent a copy to my entire family, such was my desire to let everyone know the truth about her awful actions. It didn't make me feel any better, and it caused so much pain in our family.

I hope you don't hang on to it as long as I did. So many years of time with my Mom wasted. In the end, I wrote to HER, and apologized for MY actions and MY hatred. Several years later, we are building a new relationship from scratch, and I am SO grateful for the opportunity. Because... I ONLY HAVE ONE MOM. And so do you. One day this will hit you.

In the end... forgiveness feels so much better. I just wanted to share this with you. I won't comment on your Mom's actions or situation, because I don't know the facts. I do know that like I said... people do terrible things when they are under stress, fearful, and in some cases have temporary mental health issues.

I forgave my Mom for serious physical and emotional abuse because as I grew older... I came to understand how hard life can be, and I was able to put myself in her shoes and see how she could have made those wrong choices.

I wish you the best, and I'm so sorry for your situation, I can't even begin to imagine the shock and pain of it all.

May 3, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Scott

No, forget that Morgan. You are right, it must have been a terrible thing what your mom put you through. 11 years with no contact is inexcusable, she is only seeking redemption for her own peace of mind. She affected you on a deep emotional level during your formulative years now she wants everyone to tell her this was okay. This is just my opinion, but I agree with your stance. What she did was not right, and you should not give her the peace of mind she didn't allow you. This is obviously a very selfish individual.

May 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brooke

She was arrested in Santa Rosa County, FL as recently as 2/15/2012 and 4/18/2013 under the name Kelsei Smith. http://portal.srso.net/smartweb/jail.aspx. Under "Search Inmates," enter her name and select "Released Inmates Only."

May 4, 2013 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brooke

Correction: 2/15/2013

May 4, 2013 at 1:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
      • shepherdgregory

Interesting stuff,Brooke.(Lot more than the rambles up top!)

I heard she walked into a cop shop–can't watch:Edinburgh,Scotland–and declared herself under her REAL name,and now it sounds,thanks to your research,she's gone from jail to there more or less,give or take a few nights under a bridge.We ALL have responsibilties,no doubt,and I could hitch-hike anytime I wanted,but it's RUNNING AWAY,and that's
        before you even talk of abandoned families;I've lived in the woods,I've been homeless,and you can get STUCK in that rut,
        and if ever you lose your eligibility for benefits that's EXACTLY what you'll be.She's not a bad woman–met many like her,
        it's the look in the eye–just made the wrong choices as MKW pointed out further up also pointing out the power of
        forgiveness which could well be the best thing ever.Peace.

May 4, 2013 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Layla Walker

Dear JD,
    You have the worst grammar I have ever seen. I have no idea what you are saying.

May 4, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

You and me both,Layla!

(In fact I think everyone:personally I've been having visions of gators casing the joint,just like the 15-footer in Carolina.)

Might be the same house,just sayin...

May 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gia

jdgatineau You are so rude! I understand maybe she should forgive her mother, but that does not mean she needs to have her mom in her life. I wouldn't want her in my life. I don't care what Brenda Heist did she had a choice and she chose to leave her children to be homeless. What is worse? Going through a divorce and living in a crappy home vs living ont he streets? Yes Brenda is forgivable it takes a bold person to tell the truth and come out, but that does not mean her daughter has to have her in her life. She is hurt. I cannot imagine thinking my mom was murdered and going through my teenage years yearning for my mom to be there for special moments or to just talk. I am 25 and it would be hard now to lose my mom. Just hearing her voice lets me know everything is going to be okay when things are crashing down. Morgan Heist did not get that. She mourned and wished for her mother to be alive. Being a teen is hard. They are trying to find themselves and not having a parent makes it even harder. The whole time her mother was in Florida... Can you imagine what these children are going through? They did not have a choice in the matter. Brenda Heist did and she chose to be a coward and run from her problems. Prayers to the whole entire Heist family, including Brenda. Hopefully this family can heal.

May 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gia

I also meant to add this is all new to the family. Of course they are going to go through all the emotions and be angry, hurt, sad they have not had time to deal with it. And if there was some weird thing going on with the dad then the truth will come out eventually, but these children need time to heal and work through this time. It's not everyday you hear a story liek this. The shock is new to them

May 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      • Gia

Also, obviously he wasn't too bad of a dad if he raised his kids, without their mother and one is graduated from college and the other is in college right now. He was dealing with being accused of murder at the same time.

May 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • shepherdgregory

You're absolutely right,Gia,he WAS under the spotlight himself at one point allowing the police free rein with
        checking computers,etc.The hitch-hiking seemed like a good idea at the time,and,like I say further up,we ALL
        have responsibilities,and it ain't as simple as hitchin' a ride–it's gonna hit the fan.Thanks for posting.

May 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shepherdgregory

Does anyone know how to avoid the lines scrambling?Sure is a pain,much obliged,Greg.

May 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jenny

In this sad situation, we need empathy, forgiveness, and kindness. If we can understand better why the mother felt desperate and hopeless 11 years ago and ask what we (family, friends, and community) could have done to help, we can reduce the number of such sad instances in the future. Anger, hatred, and humiliation do not make us better and worthy human beings. Instead, reflection, understanding, and reaching out to people under stress and in loneliness will avoid sad or even disastrous things from happening (e.g., shootings by mentally unstable people).

May 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

And mothers locking away their assault rifles they bought for target practice,failure to do so giving us The American
      Massacre Of Glencoe,it's as much HOW you apply that aid as which techniques/emotions;ipso facto Nicky Lanza quite happy for that maniac of a son of hers to be around guns 'cos they settled him:he'd Aspergers,he'll FOCUS AND FIXATE on them.Government can't wave a magic wand on this one,but better counselling and access to such definitely a way to go.Meantime,310 million guns and counting...

May 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Christina

No way in hell I would let that woman be a part of my life again. Just because someone is family doesn't mean they are good for you.

May 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. A Mom

I have such feelings of sympathy for those involved–all the family members as well as the dedicated law enforcement people who worked to help all the members of the family, both at the beginning and end of this tragic story. We who are writing here don't know them. Stop judging them until you know them better.

May 5, 2013 at 3:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • shepherdgregory

We know enough:she's walking around the United States like a revenant,given up for dead,they're constantly left wondering if she's been murdered,and probably thought she was,and next she turns up at the cop shop 11 years later declaring who she is after just getting outta jail as written of further up this page.She has a lot to answer for,and MY sympathies are certainly with the family left dealing with this curveball of a situation and that woman who now has a hunted and haunted look in her eye,and is probably a drug addict,or on the brink of falling off the wagon...

walking away is for the movies.

May 5, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. kekecatty

I saw her on Dr. Phill today, it broke my heart for the kids and the Mom, their mother, Brenda's Mother has unconditional love for her, and Brenda talked open about her feelings. Don't ever drag another person down until you can walk across the water. We all have things we can't handle! This Woman, "Brenda" is trying to get her life back together! She was sick, we need to support her on getting well!

May 20, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. rebeccak

I watched the Dr Phil interview with Brenda and I strongly believe she is mentally ill. She needed and still needs mental help. I feel for Morgan and her family, for all of them. Brenda did wrong by them. But hating her, like Morgan is pouring out, is going to cause more problems for Morgan emotionally. She needs to stop the hate, and start healing herself. I could never say "rot in hell" to my own mother unless she tried to murder me. I wish Morgan would come to terms. Be happy she is alive.

July 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Taylor

Thanks for almost any other great post. Where otherwise could anybody receive that sort of information in this perfect ways of writing?
    Taylor http://cultura.iteso.mx/solopc/wikka.php?wakka=AnIntroductionToRapidSecretsOfCarHeadUnit

November 8, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. margaretrosemaryrohr

Hello!

There is something important I need to tell you, that you'd really like to hear, so please read it here http://www.brandoncharlestech.com/rescue.php?1f1e

Bests, Ida Kidd

August 2, 2017 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tony Swoffer

March 6, 2021 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Liberty Malta

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 1:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Tanna Kirkley

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 3:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Cesar Bennard

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/05/more-and-more-airlines-become-cashless/

May 16, 2021 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Peter Bungert

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 7:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Bertie Zeiser

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/06/airline-livery-of-the-week-2/

May 18, 2021 at 2:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Elvina Burres

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/airline-livery-of-the-week-our-airline/

May 19, 2021 at 4:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Toby Sthill

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 3:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Clifton Dushane

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Mariko Gamino

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/interview-with-alaska-airlines-virtual-jenn/

May 22, 2021 at 2:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Young Sigg

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 4:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Elias Krapp

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 5:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Keesha Caspersen

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 5:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Pedro Tichi

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 6:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Benedict Zicafoose

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 5:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Coleen Nietupski

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Avril Ureta

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 6:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Adelle Janoski

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 7:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Shonna Standard

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 12, 2021 at 1:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Connie Juhas

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Leonard Nealon

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/05/classic-video-alaska-airlines-commercial-from-1984-is-psychic/

June 13, 2021 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jacqueline Turansky

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

June 14, 2021 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Chung Mcevers

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 7:26 am | Report abuse | Reply