Get To Know Piers Morgan

READ about Piers Morgan's long career in journalism here.

May 29th, 2013

Wayne Allyn Root on gun legislation: "Everyone should have the choice to be armed"

On Tuesday evening, Piers Morgan fired up a special edition of "The Grill," inviting Wayne Allyn Root to join the segment for the first time ever, in the process hoping to spark up some drama with the former sports handicapper.

As the topic turned to firearms, the recent NRA member explained his theory:

"Guns in the right hands protect people. Guns in the wrong hands should be taken away. We don't want guns in the hands of mentally ill people," said Root. "The NRA protects my rights as a law abiding citizen to have a gun, nothing wrong with that."

When pressured by Morgan, who suggested his stance implied that "you would want to arm every nurse, every clergyman, every school teacher, every single person in any public place in America," the author and television and radio personality clarified his position:

"Not true, Piers. I'm a Libertarian Conservative. And what that means is, everyone should have the choice to be armed. I don't want to arm anyone. I don't want to force anyone to be armed. I don't want to force anyone to be involved with guns who doesn't want to be involved with guns," he told the "Piers Morgan Live" host. "Libertarianism merely means everyone gets a choice. And that's what America is about. I think that's what makes America great."

Watch the clip and listen to the interview to learn what Root suggested that prompted Morgan to reply by saying "clearly that's palpable nonsense."
> Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Twitter
> Follow "Piers Morgan Live" on Instagram

Post by:
Filed under: The Grill
  1. Rach2

Every time the subject of guns comes up, Piers's capability for rational thinking seems to desert him. Apparently he cannot appreciate that law-abiding citizens in this country are very comfortable owning, handling, and firing guns in a responsible manner. If he would spend as much energy exploring the root causes of extreme, random violence as he does trying to humiliate anyone who doesn't agree with him, his show would be watchable.

May 30, 2013 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Gianna

For the people trying to blame Obama for the targeting by the IRS: My dad remarried in his mid 70s, & was targeted by the IRS for his wife's late husband's taxes. He was retired military, with a pension, but minimal savings as this was prior to the pay raises for active duty servicemen. The IRS made his "golden years" miserable, with threats–they drilled out MY safety deposit box, he had to get a lawyer, they went after an old man as an easier target, & took his wife's social security for the rest of her life.What they did was outrageous, and the IRS agent was truly abusive. After he died I found a check to the IRS, labeled "blackmail," as this is what he felt was happening. So this targeting is nothing new, I believe it is part of the culture of the Agency: squeeze every penny out of every sucker you can. It has nothing to do with Obama.

May 30, 2013 at 1:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jan

Obama is the one who has spent a good portion of the last 5 years demonizing the Tea party and any who dares to disagree with his radical agenda. It is not a leap to think his IRS would go after these groups after he has set the tone of antagonism and hate of conservatives.

May 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. gingerriott

CNN, please get Piers Morgan off the air. Enough America hating already! If being a talent judge is all you have to do to be a "news" reporter, you chose the wrong one!!!!

May 30, 2013 at 7:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Terry

Mr. Morgan's continual rant about firearms is asinine! His question to this person that he was interviewing about whether or not 20 children would have been killed at Sandy Hook, if it was a rope or machete just proves his ignorance! Maybe this person that committed the Sandy Hook murders would have had time to cut the pieces all these children with the machete and a butcher's knife, we will never know. Does he honestly think that some teacher or whatever might have interfered and save lives if it was a machete or rope? There might not have been the same total killed, but even if he only got 10 or so murdered before someone stopped him, there still would have been deaths! Mr. Morgan also stated a number of firearms that would not have been affected by any of Obama's wish list of banned firearms, but all those not affected still have the same power as what he calls " assault rifles" and could easily duplicate what occurred at Sandy Hook! Mr. Morgan also promised that he would leave and go back to England if nothing was passed on a second try by Congress, but I see as we all know from this past in England, he is not a man of his word! On one show of his he was trying to figure out how the NRA was able to allegedly manipulate members of Congress considering the limited funding they have, but continues to blame them ," the NRA." Because there were no new laws passed! How dare you Mr. Morgan come to this country and try to enforce your views and opinions upon the masses! As I like to tell any newcomer to the US that if they don't like it here, feel free to go back to the country you came from! We are a diplomatic country and will not bow down to any one particular special interest group or person, our vote speaks for us!

May 30, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. E Hollis

Who gave Piers Morgan the right to decide US foreign policy. Where are his comments about his own government here in the UK> Inspite all the guns taken from the public they are still out there. Still too many knife crimes here in the UK> I believe Obama should be impeached. I believe that every American who can get past the back ground checks should have a weapon if they desire. Piers is a bully. Does he have an armed security team? I venture to say yes. Does that make him a hypocrite? I say yes. He does not talk about what is going on here in the UK and news of the world. What a jack ass

May 30, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. D Veerhusen

I thought that students in Journalism 101 learned that they were supposed to double check facts (and definitions) before they showed their ignorance on National TV.
    Shame on the producers for not berating Piers Morgan (and their other Producers/Anchors for incorrectly using the terms "machine gun" and "assault rifle" on a nationally televised show. Those inaccurate statements by a "HOST" severely damage the credibility of CNN and of every other news anchor or host on CNN.
    CNN Producers and Piers Morgan should GOOGLE "U.S. Army definition of Assault Rifle"! Contrary to uninformed anti-gun J Biden, M Bloomberg, P Morgan, and other fear mongering liberals the U.S Army definition is : "a. Assault rifles are short, compact, SELECTIVE-FIRE weapons that ........" . "SELECTIVE-FIRE" means that the weapon must be capable of 1) semi-automatic fire ( ONE bullet fired for every ONE trigger pull and release) AND ALSO 2) full-automatic fire (ONE TRIGGER PULL AND HOLD will make the weapon fire continuously until the magazine, clip, or belt is empty of bullets). I DOES NOT MATTER if it is black, brown, PINK, or LOOKS SCARY!
    The AR-15 is the civilian semi-automatic rifle version of the Military M-16 ( selective-fire capable of Full-Automatic fire just like machine-guns) rifle. It takes a Special Tax, License, and registration with DOJ for a civilian to legally possess a "Machine Gun". Piers Morgan seems to be confused about or ignorant/uneducated about the FACTS during his Anti-Gun Rants on National TV.

May 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jan

Piers just read from a poll tonight showing that the public is more interested in jobs and economy rather than the obama scandals. Democrats need to take that to heart as well. Instead of wasting time on gun control, gay marriage, amnesty for illegals, Democrats should be spending that time on jobs and the economy.

Funny how Democrats are fine with focusing on other issues as long as those other issues are the ones they want to deal with.

May 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason B

Don't forget their made up "war on women"...let them dump Sandra Fluke (s l u t) and get some better speakers who are serious about the REAL problems facing us, rather than the 1/2 of 1% pervert minority.

June 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Scare The Pilgrim

very old saying I remember reading for the 1 st time From Mr. Neal Knox who wrote a piece in every issue of "The Shotgun News " when I was 29 years old and Bill Clinton and Sarah Brady were chomping at the bit pushing Gun Control..
    " Never ever speak when your opponent is holding the knife and is cutting his own throat and doing a very good job of it "
    maybe not a dead on quote,,But I am writing a comment on the Piers Morgan page ,, So ,,,,,,,, ,,, ,, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,' "" "' "' "' ,,, ,,

May 31, 2013 at 4:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jim Constantin

this should be of interest to piers, as he often cites England as a model for the depraved US gun culture to follow:

copy and paste:

May 31, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Personal Training Long Island

Could you imagine a world where everyone carried a gun? I just read a story about a guy who shot someone for texting during a movie. Just multiple that by a million. People cant control their angry it would be a mess.

January 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. tree service company Faith NC

47166 510767I got what you mean ,bookmarked , very nice internet web site . 842819

February 15, 2021 at 7:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. replica the best tag heuer copies

619697 354052This will be a terrific website, may possibly you be interested in performing an interview about how you developed it? If so e-mail me! 819772

April 1, 2021 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Thora Herrada

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 10, 2021 at 4:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jeannette Finni

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 11, 2021 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Arie Replogle

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/russian-prime-minister-and-aeroflot-ceo-argue-on-aircraft-types-to-purchase/

May 16, 2021 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Hyman Bankey

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 5:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Della Malecha

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/get-your-aviation-geek-fest-2010-tickets-now/

May 17, 2021 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Natacha Borromeo

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 19, 2021 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Olen Seide

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Gilberto Niedzwiecki

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/01/ryan-air-is-told-their-boarding-pass-fees-are-not-fair/

May 21, 2021 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Avery Jamal

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 2:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  22. sa gaming

746366 928668This really is a very good subject to talk about. Sometimes I fav stuff like this on Redit. I dont think this would be the most effective to submit though. Ill take a appear around your site though and submit something else. 852947

May 26, 2021 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Birgit Temoney

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 3:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Josue Fingal

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 3:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Gale Degan

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 4:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Evie Willen

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Alana Weiman

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Patio Repair

374915 851958You got a very wonderful web site, Sword lily I observed it via yahoo. 255991

June 3, 2021 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sheila Irwin

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 2:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Wyatt Mones

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Ralph Taitt

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 9, 2021 at 9:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jenette Bartee

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Lynwood Odonald

I don't know about you people but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/airworthiness-directive-proposed-by-faa-and-easa-over-koito-seats/

June 13, 2021 at 7:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Dot Vaneyck

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/man-gets-stung-by-scorpion-on-flight/

June 13, 2021 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Shawn Wolery

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/southwest-airlines-announces-5-wi-fi-on-their-flights/

June 13, 2021 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Minh Blaydon

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 8:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  37. 안전놀이터

714979 972634Hello! Great stuff, please keep us posted when you post again something like that! 489797

June 19, 2021 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Marylin Uldrich

Every few minutes Firefox tries to open a site. Because I just got a Trojan off my computer. So the link to the virus does not work anymore but Firefox keeps trying to open it. It says it cannot display this webpage. So how do I stop this?.

June 20, 2021 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply